Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440P [OpenCore 0.5.9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back again with a newly updated EFI.

Changes:
- updated to OC 0.6.3 (Support for 11.0 B10/11.0.1+)
- added AirportItlwm 1.2.0-debug (separated Catalina and BS versions through Min-/MaxKernel)
- removed Ultrabay hotplug patch as Big Sur would instantly kernel panic on boot
- Updated Kexts incl. AppleALC (ALCPlugFix actually works now for some reason)
- disabled Broadcom Kexts (re-enable them and delete/disable itlwm if using Broadcom WiFi)
- Updated OpenCanopy with Big Sur style Icons

What doesn't work:
- Bluetooth (injecting IntelBluetoothFirmware/Injector didn't help, not sure if it's a Big Sur issue)

Haven't tested:
- DP video output
- docking station (USB, Audio, Video)

As always, don't forget to transfer your serial

WARNING: Installer may take up to 15 minutes (no joke) to boot, should be back to normal once fully installed

Here's Big Sur running on my machine!

View attachment 494017

I found a solution for the Bluetooth problem for people with intel cards:
It is important to have the USBPorts.kext before the IntelBluetoothFirmware because the latter one need the correct USB port to function.

So now bluetooth is working in OC6.3 and 6.4 for me.

Do you know how to make itlwm.kext work with OpenCore ?
I currently have a working T440p with 10.5.7 and Clover.
I added itlwm.kext in EFI/OC/Kexts in your OpenCore EFI USB, it boots fine but the itlwm.kext is not loading.

Last edited:
Do you know how to make itlwm.kext work with OpenCore ?
I currently have a working T440p with 10.5.7 and Clover.
I added itlwm.kext in EFI/OC/Kexts in your OpenCore EFI USB, it boots fine but the itlwm.kext is not loading.
You also have to edit the config.plist and add an entry for the kext under Kernel/Add
You can best do this with ProperTree or open the plist with a text editor and add next to the other kext items in the kernel section following code:
<dict> <key>BundlePath</key> <string>itlwm.kext</string> <key>Comment</key> <string>Intel Wifi Driver</string> <key>Enabled</key> <true/> <key>ExecutablePath</key> <string>Contents/MacOS/itlwm</string> <key>MaxKernel</key> <string></string> <key>MinKernel</key> <string></string> <key>PlistPath</key> <string>Contents/Info.plist</string> </dict>

You also have to edit the config.plist and add an entry for the kext under Kernel/Add
You can best do this with ProperTree or open the plist with a text editor and add next to the other kext items in the kernel section following code:
<dict> <key>BundlePath</key> <string>itlwm.kext</string> <key>Comment</key> <string>Intel Wifi Driver</string> <key>Enabled</key> <true/> <key>ExecutablePath</key> <string>Contents/MacOS/itlwm</string> <key>MaxKernel</key> <string></string> <key>MinKernel</key> <string></string> <key>PlistPath</key> <string>Contents/Info.plist</string> </dict>
Thanks a lot, it worked.
It was a good try but I have to find how to dual boot before switching to OpenCore from Clover.

ok, so having tried @sha1062 's 0.6.3 EFI there was one issue i noticed immediately which is a big problem with opencore for me, and clover does not suffer from this

when the laptop is closed (aka clamshell mode) and connected to an external monitor with clover, it will work unplugged or plugged in. this is actually NOT how normal macbooks work, but its exactly what i want.

in OpenCore if the laptop is in clamshell mode and i unplug power, it immediately sleeps, the same as on a normal macbook pro.

do other uses experience this on OC aswell? and if so is there any easy way for me to change this and make it behave like on clover, perhaps it was because after going to opencore i didnt clear my nvram, i may need to try it again.
ok so i solved the issue

on Catalina it seems that VirtualSMC does not work aswell as FakeSMC for me

VirtualSMC causes computer to sleep when power is unplugged in clamshell mode, fake SMC does not.

i switched an OC build for T440P to FakeSMC and also VoodooHDA because it works better for audio and the headphone port doesnt buzz

now im finaly happy to use OpenCore because previously this issue with clamshell mode was holding me back.

moving forward someone has said that with there T440P on Big Sur using VirtualSMC they do not exhibit this issue, CAN ANYONE CONFIRM PLEASE??? if so i guess i would possibly want to switch back from FakeSMC to virtual SMC before upgrading to Big Sur as maybe FakeSMC is not working or reliable?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey guys, here is my OpenCore build for T440P, its quite different than some other builds with the main difference being FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC, i tested both thoroughly and FakeSMC works much better for me, when plugging in external displays connection is much more snappy.

this works for Catalina and Big Sur, please use reset nvram and reboot upon first use, id suggest testing on a usb before using on your main build as i cant confirm this will work with all T440P hardware or motherboards.

Issues.

1. like many i cant get SDXC reader (RTS5227) to work, ive only played with 10.15.7+

2. personally i use my laptop in clamshell mode closed connected to external monitor with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, my bluetooth mouse is a G603 and also has the option of 2.4GHz over USB, neither bluetooth or USB will wake my T440P, even if im not in clamshell mode, and i sleep it manually, the T440P keyboard and mouse will not wake it, but closing and opening the display will. I included a video below to show the issue, its very minor but it bothers me alot...

if anyone has any solutions to this or has the SD reader working on 10.15.7 or higher please let me know

Last edited:
been working on my T440P OpenCore build relentlessly over the last few days, everything is working flawlessly except wake with bluetooth, opening the screen (or closing and opening if already open) still works to wake, and i can wake using wireless usb mouse, but i prefer to use this mouth in bluetooth mode to free up a port and wake from the same mouse on bluetooth or on my bluetooth keyboard isnt working, wifi is BCM94360CS2 authentic apple card, airdrop and handoff working fully, dont have apple watch to test apple watch unock but confident it would work.

does ANYONE have wake working from a bluetooth mouse or keyboard, can you PLEASE share you EFI

been working on my T440P OpenCore build relentlessly over the last few days, everything is working flawlessly except wake with bluetooth, opening the screen (or closing and opening if already open) still works to wake, and i can wake using wireless usb mouse, but i prefer to use this mouth in bluetooth mode to free up a port and wake from the same mouse on bluetooth or on my bluetooth keyboard isnt working, wifi is BCM94360CS2 authentic apple card, airdrop and handoff working fully, dont have apple watch to test apple watch unock but confident it would work.

does ANYONE have wake working from a bluetooth mouse or keyboard, can you PLEASE share you EFI
T440P can't wake from a bluetooth mouse or keyboard except fn and power

Ultra docking station display port can't output on Big Sur with OC

T440P can't wake from a bluetooth mouse or keyboard except fn and power
actually i have woken from my mouse on bluetooth mode before on clover and it was working once or twice on opencore so its definately possible, where are you getting this info from, im fairly sure it will wake from bluetooth on windows fine, and the device is totaly capable of doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back