Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad T440

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will post a problem reporting post soon, but in the meantime, has anybody had issues with the laptop just getting stuck with the spinning beach ball of death? Also, having some graphics issues when connecting with a external monitor: managed to get a report on the Intel HD panicking and when in use, the screen flickers with static with around 15 second intervals.

Many thanks to Sniki and everybody, this "Macbook" is an awesome machine!
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

After all the long delays things still keep changing and getting better but still new developments on the hackintosh scene are happening that are delaying the posting of the Mojave guide.
Good news is that i have recently purchased a brand new Lenovo ThinkPad X240.

This will allow me to actually test changes on my device as these machines are very similar.

Good news are:
- alc_fix v2 with new features is coming, i build it locally and it's working perfect so far, should solve the issues with audio sometimes breaking.

- i re patched everything from scratch, including battery status and this time on my own by patching DSDT first manually and then porting it to hotpatch (without using the available patches on maciASL) o ly patched the needed offsets.

- For audio we now use AppleALC, we still need CodecCommander and alc_fix v2 but in general audio is now way more reliable than it used to be.

- New Brightness Control method without a kext or SSDT-PNLF just with WhateverGreen and some Clover Fixes.

So in short words everything has been written from scratch.
I did pay also attention to even spacing in SSDTs so everything is as clean and optimized as possible.

Removed plenty of junk files/patches and now use much cleaner and better solutions

Im on summer vacation right now and i will be back on Sunday where i will continue where i left.

After successfully running my T440 with Mojave 10.14.5 for a while using @Sniki 's files for T440 at Github, I ran into the following situation and eventually becoming problem:
1. I had a "Replace Battery Soon" in my battery indicator.
2. With that, I accidentally run the machine until the battery fully drained.
3. Recharging and turning back on, the battery does not work properly, i.e. charging unusually (and unrealistically) quick unlike its usual charging rate.
4. The machine then not able to restart. If I put the system to restart, it took longer until the Thinkpad logo shows, but after that the system stays with Thinkpad logo and not continue with booting. I then have to do a hard shutdown via the power button.
5. I then made a fresh install of 10.14.5, but the problem persist. However, after fresh install, the battery indicator seems to be ok even if the "Replace Battery Soon" still shows.
6. Tried to restart, but the result still the same, i.e. cannot boot from restart. However, shutdown works OK, sleep also works fine.
7. When in Clover Boot Manager, i get the computer to restart from Clover, and the system restarts successfully. Therefore I think the machine itself still OK, but this problem comes from the macOS.
8. Attaching the debug files.

Any hint on what I need to do?

Thanks.

Attachments

• debug_20630.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
After successfully running my T440 with Mojave 10.14.5 for a while using @Sniki 's files for T440 at Github, I ran into the following situation and eventually becoming problem:
3. Recharging and turning back on, the battery does not work properly, i.e. charging unusually (and unrealistically) quick unlike its usual charging rate.
4. The machine then not able to restart. If I put the system to restart, it took longer until the Thinkpad logo shows, but after that the system stays with Thinkpad logo and not continue with booting. I then have to do a hard shutdown via the power button.
5. I then made a fresh install of 10.14.5, but the problem persist. However, after fresh install, the battery indicator seems to be ok even if the "Replace Battery Soon" still shows.
6. Tried to restart, but the result still the same, i.e. cannot boot from restart. However, shutdown works OK, sleep also works fine.
7. When in Clover Boot Manager, i get the computer to restart from Clover, and the system restarts successfully. Therefore I think the machine itself still OK, but this problem comes from the macOS.

Thanks.
@soeryobadja im currently on summer vacation and i will be back home on sunday evening.

Like i said i now have a Lenovo ThinkPad X240 which i can test things for these "*40" thinkpad laptop models as they have similar hardware.

I did patch everything from scratch on my X240 and it's been a while since High Sierra guide was announced and a lot of things have changed and i have learned a lot of new things.

Which in conclusion i did remove a lot of stuff that was unnecessary and i did patch Battery status from DSDT first (on my own now) by following Rehabman: [Guide] how to patch DSDT for working Battery Status
So i didn't use MaciASL available patches but did everything on my own and patch correctly.
So yes this entire time, battery status hasn't been 100% correct but it did work.
I noticed that when i purchased my x240 that it wasn't showing up correctly.

Now with new files that i patched by myself it works so much better, so much smoother and had 0 issues.

Also ALC_Fix v2 is now working perfect so far.
It fixed all the issues that v1 had.
A guy did add a lot of features to fix problems that the old one had.
I forked alc_fix from him or just downloaded (not sure) and add the needed fixes for ALC3232 and it works perfect as far as i have tested.

Stay tuned for the update as it will be really great.
Im filled with energy from vacation and all relaxed from the busy first half of this year that i had.
The second one should be better as i completed most of my big goals.

@soeryobadja im currently on summer vacation and i will be back home on sunday evening.

Like i said i now have a Lenovo ThinkPad X240 which i can test things for these "*40" thinkpad laptop models as they have similar hardware.

I did patch everything from scratch on my X240 and it's been a while since High Sierra guide was announced and a lot of things have changed and i have learned a lot of new things.

Which in conclusion i did remove a lot of stuff that was unnecessary and i did patch Battery status from DSDT first (on my own now) by following Rehabman: [Guide] how to patch DSDT for working Battery Status
So i didn't use MaciASL available patches but did everything on my own and patch correctly.
So yes this entire time, battery status hasn't been 100% correct but it did work.
I noticed that when i purchased my x240 that it wasn't showing up correctly.

Now with new files that i patched by myself it works so much better, so much smoother and had 0 issues.

Also ALC_Fix v2 is now working perfect so far.
It fixed all the issues that v1 had.
A guy did add a lot of features to fix problems that the old one had.
I forked alc_fix from him or just downloaded (not sure) and add the needed fixes for ALC3232 and it works perfect as far as i have tested.

Stay tuned for the update as it will be really great.
Im filled with energy from vacation and all relaxed from the busy first half of this year that i had.
The second one should be better as i completed most of my big goals.

Eagerly anticipating the newest update from you. As well to see if my current problem can be fixed with your new files.
In the meantime, have a great holiday and congrats for having achieved your big goals.

While you are making it from scratch, would you mind if having the "real-time battery indicator report system" patch? It will be much better to know battery information exactly as removing/adding the 2nd battery.

Thank you so much for your contributions to the community. Have a good day.

Edit: real-time "duo" battery indicator report system

Besides, I heard that OpenCore bootloader is more optimized than the Clover bootloader. Do you have any thought moving from Clover to OpenCore soon?

Thanks.

@Sniki
I tried your new files on T440 repository on Github, but the biggest problem i.e. Thinkpad unable to restart, still happens.
The battery seems to be OK, at least the "replace soon" notification no longer shown that I believe it is due to your newest DSDT patching. Kudos for this d

Thanks.

@Sniki
I tried your newly uploaded T440 files from your Github.
Before using new files, my battery shows "Replace Soon" notification. Now it is gone, but with battery on 87%, it shows around 10 hours to be fully charged.
I don't think there is something with your new files, as previously my machine already acting weird (i.e. the battery "Replace Soon", and the computer unable to restart).
Now, after using new file, the battery shows weird status like above, and the machine still unable to restart.
I attached the problem reporting files. Could you have a look and point where do I need to start?
The machine is still usable and no major problem in user experience. I can still "fake" a restart by shutting down and then power on, but still something is not correct with the system and I want to know what is going on and how to fix.

Thank you for your work on making T440 a great Hackintosh machine with great macOS experience.

Attachments

• debug_12677.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
@Sniki
I tried your new files on T440 repository on Github, but the biggest problem i.e. Thinkpad unable to restart, still happens.
The battery seems to be OK, at least the "replace soon" notification no longer shown that I believe it is due to your newest DSDT patching. Kudos for this d

@Sniki
I tried your newly uploaded T440 files from your Github.
Before using new files, my battery shows "Replace Soon" notification. Now it is gone, but with battery on 87%, it shows around 10 hours to be fully charged.
I don't think there is something with your new files, as previously my machine already acting weird (i.e. the battery "Replace Soon", and the computer unable to restart).
Now, after using new file, the battery shows weird status like above, and the machine still unable to restart.
I attached the problem reporting files. Could you have a look and point where do I need to start?
The machine is still usable and no major problem in user experience. I can still "fake" a restart by shutting down and then power on, but still something is not correct with the system and I want to know what is going on and how to fix.

Thank you for your work on making T440 a great Hackintosh machine with great macOS experience.
What is actually happening with restart problem, can you explain a bit in more details.
You can't restart laptop at all or what ?

What is actually happening with restart problem, can you explain a bit in more details.
You can't restart laptop at all or what ?

@Sniki
When in macOS and I want to restart my machine, the restart pop up warning "Are you sure to restart your computer" still shows and normal black screen, with the black screen last longer than a usual restart, and then the Thinkpad logo shows, and thats it the systems stop right there, the "To interrupt setup press ENTER" not showing. I need to do a hard reset that shuts down the system, and then powering up then the system boots normally.

PS: on the battery, after around 2 hours, the battery charges completely to 100% and without no "Replace Soon" notification. I think it works good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back