Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad L440 (v3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since RehabMan visited our little party here, I have a situation:
My L440 runs at around 45C when browsing web etc. When I have heavy load on all CPU threads it gets to 87 and climbs up.
In 5 minutes it gets to 94 and then I stop load, cuz afraid to loose my data. I have fresh thermal grease on CPU.
This temp is what my HWMonitor reports. I don't see Fan speed. I will check this behaviour on Windows this weekend.
So the question: Can I solve this by patching DSDT with higher fan speed? What do I need to see laptop fan speed in HWM?

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    63.2 KB · Views: 183
Since RehabMan visited our little party here, I have a situation:
My L440 runs at around 45C when browsing web etc. When I have heavy load on all CPU threads it gets to 87 and climbs up.
In 5 minutes it gets to 94 and then I stop load, cuz afraid to loose my data. I have fresh thermal grease on CPU.
This temp is what my HWMonitor reports. I don't see Fan speed. I will check this behaviour on Windows this weekend.
So the question: Can I solve this by patching DSDT with higher fan speed? What do I need to see laptop fan speed in HWM?

Did the fan speed ramp up with temperatures?
Is it same/similar to the behavior in Windows?

Did the fan speed ramp up with temperatures?
Yes, but it is not loud at all. I wouldn't mind it being a bit loader, but having -10C.
Is it same/similar to the behavior in Windows?
Atm I can't test in Windows - will install one on weekend. Btw with open back cover I'm getting -10C.

I have fresh thermal grease on CPU.

Note that "fresh" is not better.
Thermal compound takes a while (heat/cool cycles) to properly even out and seat.
Also, if you did this yourself, maybe you have too much compound (definitely not a "more is better" sort of thing).

Note that "fresh" is not better.
Thermal compound takes a while (heat/cool cycles) to properly even out and seat.
Also, if you did this yourself, maybe you have too much compound (definitely not a "more is better" sort of thing).
Mine does ramp up with Temperature well.
Sometimes gets a bit loud when on high load,i did put a bit too much compound last time and i noticed since then fan runs a bit higher than before.
i have to do it 1 more time by just putting a bit like i saw on a video on youtube on how much is enough and how to apply.

I am pretty confident in my 'grease applying technique', but I will experiment with the amounts for sure.
I tested on Windows - same thing. But I'm still curious about that DSDT fan speed modification. Any pointers?

EDIT: My screws were too tight on a cooler. Fresh grease + not so tight screws got me -10C

Last edited:
U can rollback to the previous bios version at anytime,just disable rollback execution prevention on bios and flash previous version.
Well, I'm not quite sure about that. This is what 2.25 BIOS update README file contains:
- If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.24 or higher, it is no longer
able to roll back to the version before 2.24 for security improvement.

I can't find the previous BIOS on Lenovo website either ...

Well, I'm not quite sure about that. This is what 2.25 BIOS update README file contains:
- If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 2.24 or higher, it is no longer
able to roll back to the version before 2.24 for security improvement.

I can't find the previous BIOS on Lenovo website either ...
There is a way,getting a SOIC8 Clip and CH341a USB Flash Programmer Tool,u can rollback but also unlock advanced menu and remove bios whitelist which will allow you to install any (slot compatible) WIFI+BT card in your case BCM94352z and Advanced menu allow you to tune some settings,turn some of them on and off for the perfect MacOS compatibility (less patching required since some settings can be changed in bios directly without having to patch ACPI)

There is a way,getting a SOIC8 Clip and CH341a USB Flash Programmer Tool,u can rollback but also unlock advanced menu and remove bios whitelist which will allow you to install any (slot compatible) WIFI+BT card in your case BCM94352z and Advanced menu allow you to tune some settings,turn some of them on and off for the perfect MacOS compatibility (less patching required since some settings can be changed in bios directly without having to patch ACPI)
Yeah, I heard about that.
It's unfortunate that I can't find these hardwares where I currently am.

Attachments

• dvmt.PNG
    dvmt.PNG
    20.5 KB · Views: 174
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back