Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo ThinkPad L440 (v3.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what usb after sleep fix did you do : PRW 0x0D ?
Actually I missed "Disable XSEL,ESEL,XWAK" from your guide, that prevented my USB working correctly after sleep.
Layout ID 12 on AppleALC is the ALC292 Codec (which works perfect but doeesnt have external mic).
Layout ID 28 is the ALC292 Codec (For ThinkPad T440) on AppleALC (which does have External Mic)
They work as you described.
ID 12 works perfectly and doesn't have ext. mic.
ID 28 has ext. mic, but works at first plug only.
When I have time I will try to patch the audio codec. For now I have everything working flawlessly, I don't use ext. mic.
I'm gonna stick with El Capitan for now. Next month I will upgrade to FullHD and new touchpad, will report back.
Thank you again Shiki for awesome guide and help, also RehabMan for everything.

Last edited:
Actually I missed "Disable XSEL,ESEL,XWAK" from your guide, that prevented my USB working correctly after sleep.
Ok so now i assume you don`t have usb problems anymore.
They work as you described.
ID 12 works perfectly and doesn't have ext. mic.
ID 28 has ext. mic, but works at first plug only.
When I have time I will try to patch the audio codec. For now I have everything working flawlessly, I don't use ext. mic.
Great,thanks for the testing as i expected its a improper patching of the codec,will analyze when i have time and im on the mood and try to resolve that audio issue,even though im also not using that much my earpods lately,i have Steelseries Siberia V3 Prism Headset which they connect with usb instead of a jack so the microphone works (external - non Jack but usb).
i also have everything working flawlessly on Sierra so you are good to go when you get your upgrades.
i did some geekbench and i was amazed with results, even higher benchmark than the real Quad core version of the Macbook Pro late 2013 (browsed the geekbench scores on the web and saw that my L440 surpasses the Quad Core version :thumbup:)

GeekBench.png

RehabMan had asked me to provide similar files which I did on my thread related to the problem. You can get it from here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/lenovo-t540p-sleep-and-mas-problems.217561/#post-1463073
I have attached some pictures of my BIOS. Had to compress them because they were too large and there were too much pictures.
First of all go to your Bios:
  • Disable Predesktop Authentication (this does cause wake issues most propably)
  • Disable Intel (R) Virtualization Technology
  • Disable Fingerprint Reader into the I/0 Port Access
  • Set Total Graphics Memory to 512 (more memory, better performance)
Then reboot & remove old origin folder of acpi on your efi/clover/acpi/ folder then reboot and press F4 on Clover Menu (Dump) new acpi tables and attach the new ones after you changed your bios settings because after each bios modification ACPI Tables can change.

Like Rehabman told you,most of the stuff is clearly explained on his guide.
For Ethernet (driver) here is the link of the rehabman Intel Mausi Ethernet Driver:
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Intel-Network

Download this one and install it but first remove NullEthernet.kext
this kext (null ethernet) is only used for people who don`t have Lan/ethernet Card and need to emulate a Ethernet Card for fixing App Store and other services not working without Ethernet Set as En0.

i don`t see why you use both EAPDfix and CodecCommander (what guide did you follow for audio patching)

for the kexts that you use on EFI Folder you don`t need them there
you only need: FakeSMC,VoodooPS2Controller,ACPI Battery Manager,Intel Mausi Ethernet on EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
(which they are only required there for installation purpose to reach the desktop)
for the kexts to work properly you need to install them on your Installation drive:
System/Library/Extensions
including these ones that i mentioned on the EFI Folder: VoodooPS2,FakeSMC,IntelMausiEthernet,ACPIBatteryManager
you can simply use Kext Wizard for that,open it and go to installation tab just drag and drop the kexts and press install
after they are installed,open terminal and repair permissions/kextcache by simply writing:
sudo kextcache -i /

Also list the stuff that is not working and whats working for now.

i see a lot of stuff wrong/incorrect but to begin with resolving them post the origin acpi tables as i mentioned on this post after editing your bios.
so i can analyze what you need and tell you what/how/ to do.

i assume that 90% of the stuff is similar with my laptop by the first look that i took into your data, we will see how it goes as you progress.

Last edited:
First of all go to your Bios:
  • Disable Predesktop Authentication (this does cause wake issues most propably)
  • Disable Intel (R) Virtualization Technology
  • Disable Fingerprint Reader into the I/0 Port Access
  • Set Total Graphics Memory to 512 (more memory, better performance)
I just tried, the wake from sleep isn't still working. I also forgot to mention since the beginning that the battery drain even faster when I put the computer to sleep. I mean REALLY FAST! Like -1% each 30 seconds.

Then reboot & remove old origin folder of acpi on your efi/clover/acpi/ folder then reboot and press F4 on Clover Menu (Dump) new acpi tables and attach the new ones after you changed your bios settings because after each bios modification ACPI Tables can change.
Right, I have attached the Clover folder with these changes. The ACPI files in patched folder haven't changed.

Like Rehabman told you,most of the stuff is clearly explained on his guide.
For Ethernet (driver) here is the link of the rehabman Intel Mausi Ethernet Driver:
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Intel-Network
Download this one and install it but first remove NullEthernet.kext
this kext (null ethernet) is only used for people who don`t have Lan/ethernet Card and need to emulate a Ethernet Card for fixing App Store and other services not working without Ethernet Set as En0.

For some reasons unknown to me, this kext doesn't detect my integrated LAN. I tried to put it S/L/E too. It didn't work. So, I remembered some Ethernet Kexts I used to use on my previous hackintosh (Acer E1-570G precisely), so I took them which worked so far.

i don`t see why you use both EAPDfix and CodecCommander (what guide did you follow for audio patching)
Well, while trying to fix "something", I usually don't remove the previous files tested. I guess it's a bad practice that I need to stop. My audio refuses to work without HDAEnabler. I followed a guide here for T440. My soundcard is ALC293, the T440 has ALC292 if I remember correctly. Honestly, I have no idea what CodecCommander, EADPFix and HDAEnabler do.

for the kexts that you use on EFI Folder you don`t need them there
you only need: FakeSMC,VoodooPS2Controller,ACPI Battery Manager,Intel Mausi Ethernet on EFI/Clover/kexts/Other
(which they are only required there for installation purpose to reach the desktop)
for the kexts to work properly you need to install them on your Installation drive:
System/Library/Extensions
including these ones that i mentioned on the EFI Folder: VoodooPS2,FakeSMC,IntelMausiEthernet,ACPIBatteryManager
you can simply use Kext Wizard for that,open it and go to installation tab just drag and drop the kexts and press install
after they are installed,open terminal and repair permissions/kextcache by simply writing:
sudo kextcache -i /
I do not want to remove the kexts in from my ESP partition. Are you sure that having them in S/L/E and the ESP partition won't create any conflict?

Also list the stuff that is not working and whats working for now.

i see a lot of stuff wrong/incorrect but to begin with resolving them post the origin acpi tables as i mentioned on this post after editing your bios.
so i can analyze what you need and tell you what/how/ to do.

i assume that 90% of the stuff is similar with my laptop by the first look that i took into your data, we will see how it goes as you progress.
Thanks.
By incorrect I think you mean the badly patched ACPI. I have no idea why it got messed up. RehabMan told me that iOREG shows 2 objects related to HDEF (which I saw too). I still have no idea where the other one comes from. I hope you can help me fix the battery draining especially. Because it drains too much under OS X.

Thanks!

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    14.4 MB · Views: 128
Well, while trying to fix "something", I usually don't remove the previous files tested.
Try this guide. It helped me to get audio working and cleaning up old mess.

I just tried, the wake from sleep isn't still working. I also forgot to mention since the beginning that the battery drain even faster when I put the computer to sleep. I mean REALLY FAST! Like -1% each 30 seconds.
Power Management is not applied correctly neither activated.(from the files on the post you posted and discussed with rehabman)
You uploaded a blank config.plist on the new files.
Also ACPI wasn`t patched correctly.
Well, while trying to fix "something", I usually don't remove the previous files tested. I guess it's a bad practice that I need to stop. My audio refuses to work without HDAEnabler. I followed a guide here for T440. My soundcard is ALC293, the T440 has ALC292 if I remember correctly. Honestly, I have no idea what CodecCommander, EADPFix and HDAEnabler do.
Thats definetly a bad practice,it will just mix things up.
Your audio had no Audio Layout Injected on DSDT so ofc it wont work,HDAEnabler is a kext that enables specific layout ID (which is the number of the id of your codec that is used in the patch)
ALC293 vs ALC292 a different codec from each other,sometimes even two same Codecs ID`s are different from 1 laptop to the other.
CodecCommander fixes the issue when after you sleep/wake laptop you lose sound. EAPDfix is the same but older kext and system of patch.
We will get back to it later.
I do not want to remove the kexts in from my ESP partition. Are you sure that having them in S/L/E and the ESP partition won't create any conflict?
Installing them on your partition is a must for your machine to work properly.
They won`t cause conflicts because its the same kext and loads directly from the installation and also same kext cant be loaded twice.
its needed on ESP only for installation purpose.
Remove everything from ESP and just Leave:
FakeSMC,VoodooPS2Controller,AppleIntelE1000,ACPIBatteryManager.
Remove EAPDfix and ALC292 kext that you use.
Install these kexts into System/Library/Extensions(you already have some of them and i will attach the others:

• FakeSMC
  • VoodooPS2Controller
  • ACPIBatteryManager
  • AppleIntelE1000
  • IntelBacklight (instead of ACPIBacklight since you have Intel HD Graphics Card)
  • FakePCIID
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
  • FakePCIID_HDMI_Audio
  • USBInjectAll (instead of genericUSBXHCI if you have Intel Chipset/USB)
  • AppleALC (for audio)
  • Lilu (Kernel for AppleALC)
  • CodecCommander
  • Shiki (Used with Intel Graphics fixup to fix sierra freezing issues with HD4400/4600/5000)
  • IntelGraphicsFixup
try the config.plist that i provided,kexts,ACPI/Patched(leave them as they are and test if things work)
Report back with results,i don`t know for sure if everything will work since i don`t own a T540p but if everything does,i will report back here and tell you what i exactly did so you can learn and don`t need help in the future,even though Rehabman and others guides there are very detailed and clearly explained which they spent so much time for making them so they cover everything for us to have so much easier time fix our machines but some are lazy to read and fix on their own,some just can`t get it at some point.Anyway.
Report back what is working,what is not working.

Attachments

• kexts.zip
    585 KB · Views: 160
  • Patched.zip
    43.7 KB · Views: 129
  • config.plist
    13.4 KB · Views: 231
Power Management is not applied correctly neither activated.(from the files on the post you posted and discussed with rehabman)
You uploaded a blank config.plist on the new files.
Also ACPI wasn`t patched correctly.

Thats definetly a bad practice,it will just mix things up.
Your audio had no Audio Layout Injected on DSDT so ofc it wont work,HDAEnabler is a kext that enables specific layout ID (which is the number of the id of your codec that is used in the patch)
ALC293 vs ALC292 a different codec from each other,sometimes even two same Codecs ID`s are different from 1 laptop to the other.
CodecCommander fixes the issue when after you sleep/wake laptop you lose sound. EAPDfix is the same but older kext and system of patch.
We will get back to it later.

Installing them on your partition is a must for your machine to work properly.
They won`t cause conflicts because its the same kext and loads directly from the installation and also same kext cant be loaded twice.
its needed on ESP only for installation purpose.
Remove everything from ESP and just Leave:
FakeSMC,VoodooPS2Controller,AppleIntelE1000,ACPIBatteryManager.
Remove EAPDfix and ALC292 kext that you use.
Install these kexts into System/Library/Extensions(you already have some of them and i will attach the others:

• FakeSMC
  • VoodooPS2Controller
  • ACPIBatteryManager
  • AppleIntelE1000
  • IntelBacklight (instead of ACPIBacklight since you have Intel HD Graphics Card)
  • FakePCIID
  • FakePCIID_Intel_HD_Graphics
  • FakePCIID_HDMI_Audio
  • USBInjectAll (instead of genericUSBXHCI if you have Intel Chipset/USB)
  • AppleALC (for audio)
  • Lilu (Kernel for AppleALC)
  • CodecCommander
  • Shiki (Used with Intel Graphics fixup to fix sierra freezing issues with HD4400/4600/5000)
  • IntelGraphicsFixup
try the config.plist that i provided,kexts,ACPI/Patched(leave them as they are and test if things work)
Report back with results,i don`t know for sure if everything will work since i don`t own a T540p but if everything does,i will report back here and tell you what i exactly did so you can learn and don`t need help in the future,even though Rehabman and others guides there are very detailed and clearly explained which they spent so much time for making them so they cover everything for us to have so much easier time fix our machines but some are lazy to read and fix on their own,some just can`t get it at some point.Anyway.
Report back what is working,what is not working.
Hi,
Thanks for the great support!
First, I have to admit that RehabMan indeed does a great job here on this forum. He surely spent time trying to make noob friendly guides. But not everyone on the forum understands programming. So when it comes to things like DSDT/SSDT patching, most of us eventually lose it.
Regarding your files, here are the results:
- The 0x0A260006 ig-platform ID doesn't work. Laptop auto-reboot after DSMOS has arrived message in verbose boot. I had to use the 0x0D220003 one; it's the ONLY ig-platform ID that actually works on this laptop. Others either cause a black (no lights) screen or an auto-reboot of the laptop. I think it has something to do with the DVMT in BIOS. There are only 256MB & 512MB options. The resolution is 1366x768 if that matters too.
- Battery Indicator stopped working (says that no battery detected)
- Audio stopped working
- Sleep still doesn't work
And a new bug: REBOOT OPTION NO LONGER WORK. Once I click on Apple>Reboot, only a blank screen (with lights and the mouse) appears. I have to force shut it down and start it again.

Hi,
Thanks for the great support!
First, I have to admit that RehabMan indeed does a great job here on this forum. He surely spent time trying to make noob friendly guides. But not everyone on the forum understands programming. So when it comes to things like DSDT/SSDT patching, most of us eventually lose it.
Regarding your files, here are the results:
- The 0x0A260006 ig-platform ID doesn't work. Laptop auto-reboot after DSMOS has arrived message in verbose boot. I had to use the 0x0D220003 one; it's the ONLY ig-platform ID that actually works on this laptop. Others either cause a black (no lights) screen or an auto-reboot of the laptop. I think it has something to do with the DVMT in BIOS. There are only 256MB & 512MB options. The resolution is 1366x768 if that matters too.
- Battery Indicator stopped working (says that no battery detected)
- Audio stopped working
- Sleep still doesn't work
And a new bug: REBOOT OPTION NO LONGER WORK. Once I click on Apple>Reboot, only a blank screen (with lights and the mouse) appears. I have to force shut it down and start it again.
Ok,so i have a few more questions:
  • Does your laptop have another gpu: nvidia or only intel HD4600 ?
  • Did you use a battery patch before ?
  • Are you sure that you have ALC 293 or it is 292
  • Are brightness keys working ?
  • Did audio work for you with the before setup: ALC292 from Thinkpad T440s guide ?
I will do some modifications and upload new files for testing.

Ok,so i have a few more questions:
  • Does your laptop have another gpu: nvidia or only intel HD4600 ?
No, it only has Intel. Clover GUI also detects one video card: Intel HD 4600
  • Did you use a battery patch before ?
Yes, Lenovo X220 patch from RehabMan's repo
  • Are you sure that you have ALC 293 or it is 292
My apologies. I was mistaken. It seems to be ALC292. Device ID is 10EC0292
  • Are brightness keys working ?
Yes, after applying a manual patch from this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-t440s-clover-uefi.158369; your patch should work too. The brightness slider in display preferences works with your current files.
  • Did audio work for you with the before setup: ALC292 from Thinkpad T440s guide ?
Yes, see previous answer. I was wrong about the ID.

Clover GUI also detects one video card: Intel HD 4600
Make a screenshot of that page,what ID`s does your graphics card have, so that way i know that my same Platform ID should be applied but you might need a patch for DVMT.
Yes, Lenovo X220 patch from RehabMan's repo
Ok i will add the patch back on the new files.
My apologies. I was mistaken. It seems to be ALC292. Device ID is 10EC0292
OK thats fine too,i will fix it on the next files.
Yes, after applying a manual patch from this thread https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-lenovo-t440s-clover-uefi.158369; your patch should work too. The brightness slider in display preferences works with your current files.
The link to that thread doesn`t seem to be working. but i since its working,thats fine.
Yes, see previous answer. I was wrong about the ID.
OK don`t use the same files again that you did on that guide,i will post the changed files only on DSDT that should fix it.

I assume that sleep isn`t working because you are using a Desktop IG Platform ID which is wrong but since it causing issues with the correct id i can assume that it needs DVMT Pre-Allocation Patch, the Audio Codec was wrong that could`ve been too,neither battery patches weren`t applied.
Will upload the changed files as soon as i finnish them (tonight).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back