Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo T430 - El Capitan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have their Trackpoint working smoothly? X230 here... It works after initial install using xxx10101xxx repo. But 2 issues - tracking speed is way too fast (adjusting settings does not seem to help), and bigger problem, it seems like resolution is low. IE any move of the trackpoint moves the pointer a minimum of say 20 pixels on screen.

It essentially makes it unusable for mobile use (touchpad on X is a joke). I have tried to install latest VoodooPS2 to get it working but this breaks trackpoint entirely. Any tips appreciated!

DSDT was patched:
  • Layout Fix - 28
  • IRQ Fix
  • SMBUS
  • rename_PCI0.VID_PCI0.IGPU
  • PNLF_ivy_sandy
  • battery_Lenovo-X220
  • HD4000_LowRes
  • 7-series/8-series USB
  • PN0T FIX
  • system_OSYS_win8
  • usb_prw_0x0d_xhc

Thanks for sharing! I used this to install Sierra on my T430. My laptop is equipped with the higher resolution screen, so I used HD4000_HighRes instead of HD4000_LowRes -- and installation went smoothly with that. Note: I didn't change anything in the config.plist, so you can just view the one at RehabMan's repo.

Two issues remain:

Issue #1:

I patched DSDT according to your list of patches, went smoothly also. However, I could find how to perform Layout Fix - 28. What is that? I couldn't find any information about this patch. The closest I could get is Fix 12 at RehabMan's repo. But no 28... What am I missing here?

Issue #2:

Installation went smoothly as mentioned but booting from HD after installation (via Clover on USB) always gives me a troublesome screen -- blobs of pixels smeared over the screen. I'm guessing Intel HD 4000 driver issue, but I couldn't find out how to fix it.

Any idea how to fix this? I'm quite familiar with the shell, mount, etc. so you can suggest a shell-based solution. I'm guessing that if I replicate the installation environment from USB to HD (at least the kext's as Clover isn't installed yet on the HD), the system will startup smoothly.

Thanks in advance!

Issue #1:

I patched DSDT according to your list of patches, went smoothly also. However, I could find how to perform Layout Fix - 28. What is that? I couldn't find any information about this patch. The closest I could get is Fix 12 at RehabMan's repo. But no 28... What am I missing here?

Change the '12' to '28' in the patch before hitting Apply.

Issue #2:

Installation went smoothly as mentioned but booting from HD after installation (via Clover on USB) always gives me a troublesome screen -- blobs of pixels smeared over the screen. I'm guessing Intel HD 4000 driver issue, but I couldn't find out how to fix it.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Make sure you have a photo of "blobs of pixels smeared".

Change the '12' to '28' in the patch before hitting Apply.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Make sure you have a photo of "blobs of pixels smeared".

Probably DVMT-prealloc. Luckily, I installed a custom patched BIOS this morning to unlock few extra options and enable me to install any miniPCI WiFi card.

Anyway, while shuffling through the new options, I noticed that DVMT is set to 32MB in the BIOS. I will change that to 64MB and re-check. Hopefully, I don't have to re-patch the DSDT...

Updates on Monday.

Probably DVMT-prealloc. Luckily, I installed a custom patched BIOS this morning to unlock few extra options and enable me to install any miniPCI WiFi card.

Anyway, while shuffling through the new options, I noticed that DVMT is set to 32MB in the BIOS. I will change that to 64MB and re-check. Hopefully, I don't have to re-patch the DSDT...

Updates on Monday.

Any change in BIOS options necessitates re-extract/re-patch ACPI.

Any change in BIOS options necessitates re-extract/re-patch ACPI.

Alright, I will re-patch then. A good chance to apply the 28 fix. Hopefully that matches my laptop's HD audio.

I spent some time reading through the link you provided (thanks), and I noticed the following paragraph:

"Some laptops have the internal display connected to the Intel GPU and the external HDMI/DP port connected to the discrete graphics device. It is rare, but in that case you would be able to get the device to work with the external display with proper kexts and correct configuration, much like a dual-GPU desktop setup."

I actually have another laptop (ASUS NV56Z) that is wired up like that, and it would be extremely nice to have the HDMI connector working instead of the internal display. I don't mind that at all.

Any idea how to proceed to get "proper kexts and correct configuration" for my laptop? Pointers are enough, I'll continue from there.

Alright, I will re-patch then. A good chance to apply the 28 fix. Hopefully that matches my laptop's HD audio.

I spent some time reading through the link you provided (thanks), and I noticed the following paragraph:

"Some laptops have the internal display connected to the Intel GPU and the external HDMI/DP port connected to the discrete graphics device. It is rare, but in that case you would be able to get the device to work with the external display with proper kexts and correct configuration, much like a dual-GPU desktop setup."

I actually have another laptop (ASUS NV56Z) that is wired up like that, and it would be extremely nice to have the HDMI connector working instead of the internal display. I don't mind that at all.

Any idea how to proceed to get "proper kexts and correct configuration" for my laptop? Pointers are enough, I'll continue from there.

Any discussion of a laptop that is not a Lenovo T430 in this thread is off-topic.

Alright. I have some updates now. The BIOS was reset to defaults and DVMT pre-alloc set to 64MB. DEP is active.

I did everything from scratch and followed the guide to the letter. I re-extracted DSDT and re-patched including patch from post #47, as instructed. Installed DSDT and ran macOS Sierra installer from USB without a hitch, everything worked wonderfully.

Then came the time to boot the new system using Clover on USB. That didn't work well unfortunately... The boot paused for a LONG time at the screen attached, specifically AppleHDADriver and AppleACPICPU. Afterwards, I just see the Apple logo with the loader underneath and nothing moves, including the mouse. No HD activity. Looks like it's frozen...

I'm attaching also the patched DSDT specific for this laptop (Lenovo T430, i5, 8GB, HD4000, 1600x900) and the config I used is this one (only change I made was to add "-v" to boot flags): github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config/blob/master/config_HD4000_1600x900.plist

Does anyone have an idea where to go from here and how to fix these issues?

(Files removed, I'll re-upload later according to the rules of the forum.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back