Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Legion y530-y540 Laptop on Catalina 10.15

Find setleds in / usr / local / bin /,and then open System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Find the "Accesibility" section. Unlock the pane by clicking on the padlock symbol, then press the + button to open a file browser. Now navigate to the location and select your setleds binary. Lock the pane by pressing the padlock icon again.
Setleds isnt created :/, i ran your script twice but without results

i unlocked advance options pressing fn + o + d just right after reboot. Just before legion logo appears, it will reboot again, you will see that your keyboard's light turn on and then turn off twice, release the keys and then you'll see something like this (see attached). Then press f2 to enter bios and you gonna have advance options unlocked :) :)View attachment 446197

I can get to the Debug Page but I don t have any "Press F2 key ..." text like you do.
Are you on y540 or y530?If yes,what Bios version?
Thanks

As I mentioned earlier I bought a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter which doesn't work with the current EFI from xiaoM4095. But the more of us the better, maybe someone will figure it out. My main concern would be if USB-C was routed through the Nvidia gpu, in which case we wouldn't be able to get it working. Might actually submit a ticket to Lenovo to ask how USB-C is routed.
I've tested type c adapter in both Windows and hack and this is my observations:
1) in Windows my adapter is recognized as usb type c video adapter, monitor works. But when I turn off my gtx1060 in device manager, adapter still in usb devices list, but no picture on monitor. I can assume that at least in Windows all video outputs go through Nvidia.
2) in hack adapter is listed in usb devices, but no video output

I think this adapter uses type c alternate mode.
I wonder if there is a way to make it work with framebuffer patches. If not - then all we can do is to use usb to hdmi converters (not type c alternate mode).

I've tested type c adapter in both Windows and hack and this is my observations:
1) in Windows my adapter is recognized as usb type c video adapter, monitor works. But when I turn off my gtx1060 in device manager, adapter still in usb devices list, but no picture on monitor. I can assume that at least in Windows all video outputs go through Nvidia.

I think this adapter uses type c alternate mode .
I wonder if there is a way to make it work with framebuffer patches. If not - then all we can do is to use usb to hdmi converters (not type c alternate mode).
I'll test my adapter on real MacBook soon, and on my hack I'll test other adapter that works with MacBook

I think this adapter uses type c alternate mode.
I've experienced similar behavior in Windows, seems like video signal is routed through nvidia. Also when you run a userbenchmark test with USB-C, it benchmarks the Nvidia gpu. Unfortunately I don't have experience with framebuffer patching or experimenting with ig-platform-id values, but I think it's the only way it could be done if at all. USB to HDMI won't work for what I need (4k 60Hz monitor).

I'll test my adapter on real MacBook soon, and on my hack I'll test other adapter that works with MacBook

I have tried a Startech USB-C to HDMI cable, a Dell USB-C hub with HDMI, and a UGreen USB-C to HDMI / USB hub. They all work when connected to USB-C port on a 2017 MacBook Pro, and they work on the Legion in Windows, but none worked on the Legion in macOS. It seems that the USB-C video is tied to the Nvidia graphics so it will never work. There are USB 3.0 (Type A) to HDMI adapters but they are usually limited to 1920x1080 at low refresh rate.

I have updated my Y530 to 10.15.3 without any issues other than having to run xiaoM4095's optimize shell script again after installation to get sound back.

10_15_3.png

will above posted Mac Catalina installation process work for Lenovo legion y540 9th generation , Intel Core i5-9300H Processor ( 2.40GHz 8MB ), 16gb ram DDR4, Two slots SSD(SSD M.2 and SATA SSD: FOR MAC INSTALLATION), NVIDIA® GEFORCE® GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR5).

When I tried before in direct installation of Catalina, there was error & started from starting as loop without installation. "Would I be able to install if I follow your procedure for yours, to legion y540 9th generation."

Back