Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Legion Y520/Y720 using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The trick is to force WEG to ignore hardware and load Skylake stuff. You can do it by editing kern_igfx.cpp and hardcoding Skylake values, or you can use Rehabman's WEG patches from his spoof_fix2 WEG branch: https://github.com/RehabMan/WhateverGreen/tree/spoof_fix2. Rehabman's approach is better because it's more generic, but you will have to merge it with a new WEG code and resolve a few merging conflicts. Either approach requires putting Skylake IDs into .aml files, in our case that would be SSDT-Y520.aml.
Could you tell me why anyone would need to spoof for Skylake?

Could you tell me why anyone would need to spoof for Skylake?

Apparently there is a batch of Y520-15IKBN laptops which screen is blank without the SL spoof. I am still failing to understand what's the difference with these units and why they require this hack.

Apparently there is a batch of Y520-15IKBN laptops which screen is blank without the SL spoof. I am still failing to understand what's the difference with these units and why they require this hack.

Maybe it's because my Y520 is not a 'real' Y520. It's a re-brand from Medion. But the board is being recognized as Y520 by clover by itself. It's a Lenovo Y520, but with the outer shell of Medion. Dimensions, ports everything looks the same except they used the color blue in their design.

'Everything' works with the Skylake spoof now.

A little review from a Dutch guy were he says they are the same.

I’m sure there is another fix that could be implemented. If you get more data, please let me know so that I can add the proper fix to the repo. Spoofing for Skylake isn’t a long-term solution.

Maybe it's because my Y520 is not a 'real' Y520. It's a re-brand from Medion. But the board is being recognized as Y520 by clover by itself. It's a Lenovo Y520, but with the outer shell of Medion. Dimensions, ports everything looks the same except they used the color blue in their design.

Mine is a regular Y520, at least on the outside.

I’m sure there is another fix that could be implemented. If you get more data, please let me know so that I can add the proper fix to the repo. Spoofing for Skylake isn’t a long-term solution.

This laptop worked fine on HS with old IntelGraphicsFixup method. WEG obviously does something different but I couldn't identify the problem. My best guess is that the problem is somewhere in the display ports configuration. Please tell me if you have any suggestions where to go from here.

Mine is a regular Y520, at least on the outside.

This laptop worked fine on HS with old IntelGraphicsFixup method. WEG obviously does something different but I couldn't identify the problem. My best guess is that the problem is somewhere in the display ports configuration. Please tell me if you have any suggestions where to go from here.
I will need IOReg and complete PR files from both black screen and the fix (SKL spoof) scenarios.

@the-braveknight
As suggested on github issue, heres the bug report files.
I couldn't recreate the bluetooth issue as I am not entirely sure what causes it. Maybe really long sleep?
Anyways, ioreg dump of bluetooth issue present is also in the .zip

Attachments

• debug_7873.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 66
@the-braveknight
As suggested on github issue, heres the bug report files.
I couldn't recreate the bluetooth issue as I am not entirely sure what causes it. Maybe really long sleep?
Anyways, ioreg dump of bluetooth issue present is also in the .zip
I really have no idea. Everything appears to be OK in the IORegs. Perhaps a bug in BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.

Update: Is "Fast Boot" disabled in BIOS?

Last edited:
I really have no idea. Everything appears to be OK in the IORegs. Perhaps a bug in BrcmPatchRAM2.kext.

Update: Is "Fast Boot" disabled in BIOS?
Did you check the additional .ioreg dump of when bluetooth stopped working? In it there appears to be 2 entries for the bluetooth controller (attached image)
Fast Boot is disabled, just checked.

Attachments

• 1555536808899.png
    1555536808899.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Did you check the additional .ioreg dump of when bluetooth stopped working?
Yes. The non-working state IOReg seems to be OK.
Does your BT not get recognized? Or what do you actually mean by it not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back