Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Ideapad S340 Laptop on Catalina

I install MacOS after installing Windows on same hard drive. To dual boot, I use this trick (Rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi) to launch Clover instead of Lenovo/Windows bootloader. When I launch Windows this way, the audio is not working. However, if I undo the trick I used and let it launch Windows directly without Clover, the audio is working again. How can I fix this?

The reason the audio is not working is because of Intel Smart Sound Technology(Intel(R) SST) OED driver malfunctions. It has a code 10 error(FW did not sent FW Ready notification). This problem does not exist if I launch Windows without Clover.

This is the boot menu. Using BOOTICEX64, I found out that Windows Boot Manager and option 2 point to the same file. Windows Boot Manager is suppose to be the default Lenovo/Windows Bootloader.
View attachment 443039
I fixed it. The culprit is AudioDxe.efi Driver. Remove it since Windows sound > startup sound. I need to enable audio setting in Clover. Not sure it is AFGLowPowerState or HDAReset or both.

Last edited:
AudioDxe.efi Driver. Remove it
Thanks! Same problem! But Windows on another SATA SSD (OSX on NVME SSD).
Now audio working fine in windows when loading with clover bootloader!

Rereading the guide, I noticed this on the Keyboard. Since my trackpad is not working, how do I remove the mouse and trackpad extensions?

"Keyboard:
Keyboard should already be working at this point using VoodooPS2Controller. The mouse and trackpad extensions in VoodooPS2Controller may conflict with trackpad later, and must be removed."

Rereading the guide, I noticed this on the Keyboard. Since my trackpad is not working, how do I remove the mouse and trackpad extensions?

"Keyboard:
Keyboard should already be working at this point using VoodooPS2Controller. The mouse and trackpad extensions in VoodooPS2Controller may conflict with trackpad later, and must be removed."

Those mouse and trackpad extensions are referring to macOS's kexts. VoodooI2C version 2.3 should work ok without deleting those. However, you may give it a try by...
Mount / read-write using:
sudo mount -uw /
Delete AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext and AppleIntelLpssI2C.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/

Those mouse and trackpad extensions are referring to macOS's kexts. VoodooI2C version 2.3 should work ok without deleting those. However, you may give it a try by...
Mount / read-write using:
sudo mount -uw /
Delete AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext and AppleIntelLpssI2C.kext from /System/Library/Extensions/
no need to delete Apple system kexts with latest VoodooI2C kexts

I tried deleting them and trackpad still not working. Can't say for sure but I get the feeling VoodooI2CHID is the culprit. It sometimes show up as loaded when I run kextstat, other times it doesn't. I also verified that I have the latest version.
Interestingly, I installed Catalina 10.15.2 and could not get the trackpad working even though all the kexts were loading. So, I restored back to Mojave 10.14.6 - which works great for me.

FYI - If anyone wants to install Mojave, use the installinstallmacos.py script (found on the internet) to get the install image. Be sure to set your computer's clock back to say Oct 1, 2019; otherwise, it won't install (you can do this via the terminal app during the OS setup).

@curtistn did you use the same file package for Mojave? I may install Mojave in mine.
Yes, I'm using the EFI folder from post #1. There's an update to Mojave 10.14.6 not included with the install image (obtainable from Apple via the installinstallmacos.py script). System Update will allow to update (don't choose Catalina upgrade) without problems.

I fixed it. The culprit is AudioDxe.efi Driver. Remove it since Windows sound > startup sound. I need to enable audio setting in Clover. Not sure it is AFGLowPowerState or HDAReset or both.
Glad you fixed it. I'll add a note in the guide for others.

Last edited:
Back