Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Ideapad S340 Laptop on Catalina

Thanks for you patience.. Yess, nvmexpressdxe.efi is present. Disks are in AHCI mode. Now I'll show you my bios settings, maybe sth is wrong. Version is 2.01.
I could make it through the installation on the old SSD... And I noticed the internal camera isn't working. If I open facetime, the camera shows me just red. And the trackpad isn't working as well.
About the panic kernel thing I talked about in the previous message. Do you have any idea how to fix it?
I didn't see the NVMe drive listed in your BIOS. Double-check to make sure that drive is GPT layout (not MBR) and has a valid EFI partition.
A newer BIOS version may help with the macOS kernel panic. Have you tried a different operating system (linux, etc)? Does it run stable then?

hi, i'm using the same model here 81N8 but can't get my trackpad working
also battery indicator not showing, really need help:D

Yup if you look back a few posts the trackpad do not work for some of us. I have the 81N8 model too and it does not work.

I didn't see the NVMe drive listed in your BIOS. Double-check to make sure that drive is GPT layout (not MBR) and has a valid EFI partition.
A newer BIOS version may help with the macOS kernel panic. Have you tried a different operating system (linux, etc)? Does it run stable then?
I formatted the NVMe because I couldn't even boot MacOs on it. Clover didn't even see it. So I installed Catalina on the Sata 2.5" ssd at it worked.
My NVMe SSD is the Samsung Pm981, and I red that it is the cause of the panic kernel because it's not compatible at all with osx. (Even if osx runs in the other ssd) And I guess that's also the reason why clover didn't see it at all. So I guess I will remove it for now and see if it gets better. And eventually sell it and buy a different nvme ssd

I formatted the NVMe because I couldn't even boot MacOs on it. Clover didn't even see it. So I installed Catalina on the Sata 2.5" ssd at it worked.
My NVMe SSD is the Samsung Pm981, and I red that it is the cause of the panic kernel because it's not compatible at all with osx. (Even if osx runs in the other ssd) And I guess that's also the reason why clover didn't see it at all. So I guess I will remove it for now and see if it gets better. And eventually sell it and buy a different nvme ssd
Yes, I have read this too... the PM981 is NOT compatible with macOS. Same for Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

Yes, I have read this too... the PM981 is NOT compatible with macOS. Same for Samsung 970 EVO Plus.
yes, there has been a lot of talk about that particular drive

i think with the new firmware for the Samsung 970 EVO Plus, it now works though

I am 99% it is the cause of my panic kernel. Now I removed the pm981 and no signs of panic kernel anymore for now. That's not a big deal, I'll sell it and buy a compatible one. 970 Evo (not evo plus) should be compatible. I saw at the page 2 that the user "larsonbis" has the 970 evo and he has everything perfectly working.
Now I just have to fix the trackpad not working. I read it's a common and random problem between us s340 owners. Someone has it, someone has not.

Hey,
I've bought a Lenovo Ideapad S340-14IWL, I created the USB stick to install Mojave, it boot wells into the first screen where you can format the disk but it can't detect the SSD at all. I have only the USB stick.
Do I have to change the disk to a m2 samsung or do I did something wrong?

My EFI forlder on my USB install have all the kext and .efi of your first post, I'll recheck tomorrow.
(Not a native speaker, sorry) Thanks for the guide!

EDIT: Solved, properly switch on AHCI mode in BIOS>Configuration>Storage.
I don't know how to read, help

Last edited:
Hey,
I've bought a Lenovo Ideapad S340-14IWL, I created the USB stick to install Mojave, it boot wells into the first screen where you can format the disk but it can't detect the SSD at all. I have only the USB stick.
Do I have to change the disk to a m2 samsung or do I did something wrong?

My EFI forlder on my USB install have all the kext and .efi of your first post, I'll recheck tomorrow.
(Not a native speaker, sorry) Thanks for the guide!
Same happened to me with the samsung ssd pm981. which model of ssd do you have?

Well, I didn't properly switch the disk on AHCI mode, i'm on the install progress right now.
EDIT : It's HFM256GDHTNG-8310A. Installation cleared, i'm on mojave :D

Last edited:
Well, I didn't properly switch the disk on AHCI mode, i'm on the install progress right now.
EDIT : It's HFM256GDHTNG-8310A. Installation cleared, i'm on mojave :D
I am planning to reinstall everything with Mojave instead of Catalina.. How could you create the usb boot with Mojave since from the App store you can just download the last Os, Catalina?

Back