Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo Ideapad 330s-15IKB
CPU
i7-8550U
Graphics
UHD 620
UPDATED --- Now Trackpad is working

Hi guys, thanks for all the guides previously, Especially to Rehabman and Sniki for all the educational guides and walkthroughs - Most of the attached is based on their work and I have a very primitive understanding of what was done but admire their expertise and willingness to share their time and work with the community. I'm usually one to figure it out myself if I have enough to read through and educate myself, so haven't been real active in asking questions on the forum - Just trying things and learning from the massive amount that has already been shared here.

In appreciation of their efforts, I'm posting this starter guide for the Lenovo Ideapad 330s-15ikb. It's a decent laptop for hackintoshing on, but had unique challenges and took several weeks to get working. Hoping someone else can benefit from the attached, or continue to contribute and help it improve so it works for more people and variants.

Current Status:

Working:
1). All USB ports (HS and SS) (including onboard camera and card reader)
2). Wifi
3). Bluetooth
4). Airdrop
5). Sleep and Wake
6). Lid open and close
7). Audio (Speakers, headphones, microphone)
8). Screen Dimming and Brightness controls
9). FaceTime, App Store, iTunes, Siri
10). Trackpad with basic use
11). Battery status monitoring

Partially Working:
1). Function Keys for screen control don't work. But they work for volume. Not sure why.

Step 1 - Hardware modifications:
- I added 8gb ram to the single expansion slot on this laptop. It came with 4gb soldered and 4gb in the expansion. This laptop won't boot the install media unless you explicitly assign RAM in Clover, probably due to the onboard soldered ram combined with an expansion DIMM. Remove the expansion ram and it should boot though.
- I removed the 2tb hard drive and replaced it with a 1tb SSD (Samsung EVO860)
- I removed the Intel wireless and bluetooth card, and replaced it with a Broadcom BCM94352Z M.2 NGFF 802.11AC 867Mbps BT 4.0 DW1560 DW1560 (sourced on Ebay for about $60 USD).

Notes: The inside of this laptop is not very user friendly, with a metal shield that sits inside grounding tabs on the motherboard. If you change hardware as I did, be very careful to not short anything out when removing and replacing the metal shield. To be extra safe you should maybe disconnect the battery before working inside, although I did not and was just very careful.

Step 2 - Bios Settings:
- This laptop only supports UEFI booting, but you need to disable secure boot and unload optimized defaults for windows 10. If yours came with Intel Optane, you need to disable that and use AHCI Legacy mode (Not RST).

Step 3 - Install media
- Make the install media using Rehabman's guide or one of the many others. Don't use Unibeast, use the createInstallMedia method. Format the USB, partition it, install Clover UEFI only and make sure to include the recommended laptop drivers from his laptop thread. With a vanilla install my system came up with no keyboard or mouse / trackpad so I had to use USB keyboard and mouse to get through the install then start working on it. Adding VoodooPS2controller got the keyboard working, but the trackpad is a bit more involved.

Step 4 - Install Clover to your system drive
- I used the latest clover for this (at the time), as it has some hot patches that I prefer and I'm not sure of the differences to Rehabman's laptop clover recommendations. I used v4920 of Clover for all parts of this guide, and recommend you do the same just to be safe.

Step 5 - Configure Clover
- Use my config.plist and you should be good to go. Maybe edit the ram settings to match your system if you have different amounts of Ram than I do. See the screenshots in attached folder if you have questions about what should be checked or unchecked.
- Kexts used:
- ACPIBatteryManager - For battery management
- AirportBrcmFixup.kext - For wifi chip (Intel chip doesn't work, had to replace with BRCM)
- AppleALC.kext - Needed for Audio
- AppleBackLightFixup.kext - For screen backlight.
- BrcmFirmwareData.kext - Use this instead of BrcmFirmwareRepo since it can inject from Clover.
- BrcmPatchRam2.kext - Needed for the Broadcom wifi and bluetooth chip.
- FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
- FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
- FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
- FakeSMC.kext
- Lilu.kext
- NullEthernet.kext
- USBInjectAll.kext. (Needs additional SSDT file, check ACPI/Patched to find it)
- VoodooI2C.kext - For trackpad
- VoodooI2CHID.kext - For trackpad
- VoodooPS2Controller.kext - For Keyboard
- WhateverGreen.kext - General

Step 6 - DSDT Patches
- This guide uses a combination of hot patching and static DSDT patching. I don't know how to make a proper SSDT from the attached DSDT patches, but I do know this method worked for me.
- In the attached folder are 5 patches that must be applied to your DSDT. To extract the DSDT I use a clean fresh USB stick with nothing but clover on it, and use the F4 method to extract the unmodified DSDT files to EFI/Clover/Origin. With this laptop's bios it worked for me to just drag the DSDT.aml into MaciASL (attached) and apply the patches. Apply the patches in order, it may not be necessary but it doesn't hurt.
NOTE: This laptop has no ethernet, and all Macs require working ethernet as the first device to work with iTunes etc. There is a patch to add a null ethernet modem to meet this requirement, but you MUST change the Mac address in the patch before applying it or you'll not be able to use some of the apple store or iTunes. Just use a random MAC address generator and update where it's marked in the patch. If you forget you can go back and edit it in the DSDT directly, just scroll to the end and you'll see the device that was added and the Mac address. The patch comes with 11:22:33:44:55:66 as the address, so change this to something else.

- When you're done, put the patched DSDT into EFI/Clover/ACPI/Patched. While you're at it also copy the SSDT usb fix into that folder as well (see attachments).

Step 7 - Reboot and you should be good to go!
- I prefer to keep my kexts in the Clover UEFI area. Others like them in /Library/Extensions. It doesn't seem to matter so do what you prefer.

Thanks for reading and good luck!

@RehabMan - Please consider including the DSDT patches in your repository for Ideapad 330s-15IKB. Especially the battery patch method, it was done using your guide and works very well. Thanks again!

Attachments

• Lenovo Ideapad 330s-15ikb Project.zip
    10.8 MB · Views: 2,410
Last edited:
Updated original post with improvements.

Updated original post with improvements.
please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

man, what is your exact model?
is it 81F500W4ix? Just curios if I can use your exact files and patches...
thanks

The exact model as listed on the labels is:
Lenovo 330s-15ikb
Model Name: 81F5
MTM: 81F500QJUS

You can not use the exact files and patches, as you need to set your own serial numbers etc. At a minimum if you wish to try using them, you need to install clover and generate proper SMBIOS data. I'd also recommend dumping your DSDT and applying the patch in MaciASL to your bios, as it's unlikely exactly the same as my bios was.

@dareposte your files made my laptops GPU acceleration work... Thanks.. but audio and trackpad and the battery percentage doest work... Since I'm new to these things I couldn't find a proper patching tutorial to fix audio... Can you please help

Audio and trackpad are typically fixed in Clover - you may need a different layout ID for the audio. Do you know your audio codec or audio chip?

Trackpad on mine was i2c and I had to use VoodooI2c to get it going, I’d start there. Often audio and trackpad seem to interfere with each other for some reason, they can cause cause conflicts somehow, so maybe fix audio first and then see what needs to be done for trackpad.

For the battery percentage and status, you definitely need to patch your DSDT, using the provided patches in the files you downloaded. Basically you need to hit f2 during clover boot to get the original dsdt out, then open it in maciasl and apply the patches, then compile it and save it as DSDT.aml in your EFI/ACPI/Patched folder. If you do not patch, the battery won’t work.

You’re close, so hang in there and start with the battery and audio, then investigate which i2c trackpad driver you have. If your system isn’t identical to mine then it may need other drivers, I know there are several out there and to make it work you need to dig in and find what you can about the particulars of your system are.

Audio and trackpad are typically fixed in Clover - you may need a different layout ID for the audio. Do you know your audio codec or audio chip?

Trackpad on mine was i2c and I had to use VoodooI2c to get it going, I’d start there. Often audio and trackpad seem to interfere with each other for some reason, they can cause cause conflicts somehow, so maybe fix audio first and then see what needs to be done for trackpad.

For the battery percentage and status, you definitely need to patch your DSDT, using the provided patches in the files you downloaded. Basically you need to hit f2 during clover boot to get the original dsdt out, then open it in maciasl and apply the patches, then compile it and save it as DSDT.aml in your EFI/ACPI/Patched folder. If you do not patch, the battery won’t work.

You’re close, so hang in there and start with the battery and audio, then investigate which i2c trackpad driver you have. If your system isn’t identical to mine then it may need other drivers, I know there are several out there and to make it work you need to dig in and find what you can about the particulars of your system are.
Mine is the i3 model 320s 14 inches

You need to find the details if you want someone to help point you in the right direction. You have the laptop, so boot into Linux or windows and see what’s there if there’s no other documentation. Lenovo tends to publish somewhat detailed specs on their website as well so go type your serial number in there and see if you can find anything useful.

Try using ioregistry explorer and seeing what’s showing up in macos, or google and check lenovo’s Recommended drivers for your software. Lots of options.

I suspect you need to patch your DSDT to fix the battery - have you done this or did you just drop the prebuilt files into your laptop? That could 100% be the problem as I’m almost certain these laptops are not identical inside.

Trackpad could be just an additional kext but without knowing what you have it’s shooting in the dark to try to guess. Maybe try the voodooi2c elan driver and see if that helps.

Without further specifics there’s nothing else I can help you with, good luck.

Note: Lenovo does imply that you have a conexant audio chip, so try audio layout ids 3, 13, and 28. One of those should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back