Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-14IKB Monterey 12.2.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to erinviegas and Feartech, I successfully installed Monterey 12.4 onto my IdeaPad 330S-14IKB! :)
screenshot.png

The volume up/down keys work but not brightness control; no feedback is shown on screen. I also tried to change brightness at the Control Center, but the adjustment bar is always at 100%. Any ideas how to change LCD screen brightness? I looked at YogaSMCPane but nothing there helps.

Seems like this is the fault. It detects as an external display as a picture of an external LCD monitor is shown under Displays:

monitor.png

In addition to brightness not working, the monitor is able to sleep but not wake up.

Edit: solved it by disabling the AMD Radeon video adapter at the BIOS setup.

Last edited:
The volume up/down keys work but not brightness control; no feedback is shown on screen. I also tried to change brightness at the Control Center, but the adjustment bar is always at 100%. Any ideas how to change LCD screen brightness? I looked at YogaSMCPane but nothing there helps.
one thing you will need to do is to create your own SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml:
as that appears to be device specific due to UUID (you can see this in the SSDT-SBUS-MCHC.aml in your download)

not sure what else could be the issue, maybe another aml file and config.plist rename may need looking into, maybe @erinviegas can shed some more light on the subject

I don't understand why this happens: the built-in keyboard does not work until it boots into OS X. It was completely fine before installing Monterey!

Upon power up, the function keys work. Pressing F2 goes into the BIOS setup, or F12 to goes into Boot Manager. But pressing capslock gets no response; key does not light up.

Inside BIOS setup, the whole keyboard is dead. Cursor keys do not move, even function keys F1 to get help, or ESC to quit. The same happens inside Boot Manager.

As it boots to OpenCore, at the OpenCore menu, the keyboard doesn't work. I can't move the cursor keys to choose the boot partition.

After counting down, it boots Monterey. I kept pressing Capslock to see when it comes alive. After a few seconds of booting, capslock comes alive, and very shortly, it boots into Monterey. Inside Monterey, the keyboard functions perfectly.

I tried a USB keyboard and it works perfectly starting from powering up all the way to shutting down. I could change BIOS settings, or select the desired boot partition at the OpenCore boot menu.

Any ideas what's going on? o_O

Last edited:
I connected a USB keyboard to configure my IdeaPad 330S BIOS to boot into Windows (enable secure boot). Then I replaced the Monterey NVMe M.2 with the original NVMe M.2 (Intel Optane) + 1TB SATA hard disk, which were installed with Windows. Then I booted successfully into Windows. Everything works in Windows. I rebooted the laptop and entered BIOS setup, and magically, the built-in keyboard works normally again! I am able to setup BIOS configuration with a working keyboard.

I reverted to my NVMe M.2 that has Monterey installed, then booted into Monterey. I rebooted Monterey, then entered BIOS setup. The keyboard problem came back! Clearly, Monterey / OpenCore messed up something that disables my keyboard somehow.

Thanks to erinviegas and Feartech, and cci[RR]us for asked the question that i have kkkk, now everythink is working fine here.

I have just a little issues.
-Sometimes i have the same issue as cci[RR]us, notebook keyboard won't work at BIOS and OpenCore. To get around the problem the solution is to plug a USB Keyboard.
-I am using dualboot at same SSD and can't boot Windows using the OpenCore menu. So the solution that i found was press F12 before OpenCore menu and select Windows.
-Other problem with dualboot is when you change anything at the EFI folder, u need to boot first at macOS withouth any Windows File on EFI and just after the first boot you can add the Windows Files at the EFI Folder.
-Sometimes when updating EFI it show 'not enough disk space' this is because the files are at Trash, the solution is just clean Trash.
-I use a external monitor and it was not conecting automatic when i boot the computer, so i need to unplug and replug the HDMI cable. To do not need to do that i add in boot-args "igfxonln=1" withouth the quotes. Now it's working fine.
-The Safari won't open Netflix. I found a possible solution here (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore...ml#testing-hardware-acceleration-and-decoding), but i don't try because i use Google Chrome and at Google Chrome all is working fine.
-There is another problem with Mice Scrolling, it's not fluid in any system application and even at safari it's not fluid, looks like stuttering, is something rigid, i tryed with different mices and installed some drivers but withoth sucess. At Google Chrome and others non system default applications it's works normally. So the solution that i found was a application called Mos and now the mouse looks so smooth at all the system and safari, now it's like in Windows or genuine mac.

#I made some adjusts to this EFI that i wanna share:
-First of all i set ScanPolicy value from 17760515 to 0
-Second, as i have not changed and i have the notebook native intel bluetooth and wifi card. I removed some Kexts: [BrcmFirmwareData.kext, BrcmPatchRAM3.kext, AirportBrcmFixup.kext] and add others [AirportItlwm.kext, IntelBluetoothFirmware.kext], now the wi-fi and bluetooth is working very well. I also removed CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider, I don't know exacly the function of this kexts, if some of my actions are mistakes, if someone knows please tell me. But right now it's all working fine.
-Third i updated the OpenCore and the Kexts to the last version. Wi-fi and Bluetooth are working well even in not officialy released new version of macOS.
-Fourth i generated all new series numbers.
-Fifth in boot-args i used 'igfxonln=1' for the external monitor as i said before.
-Using the OpenCore Tool called ocvalidate located at "OpenCore-X-RELEASE\Utilities\ocvalidate" it found 2 errors in this EFI. Both are not causing any issues. But just to have a clean build one possible "solution" is to turn off "OpenCanopy" and "SanitiseClearScreen".

OBS: There are many aesthetic customizations that can be made in EFI, i will share some that i have learned in the process:
* -v at boot-args make the system to boot showing the log (many letters), it's interesing to know about errors.
*HideAuxiliary (True) will make the OpenCore EFI at boot just show the Operational Systems, without showing any other thing like 'Reset NVRAM' and nothing like that, it looks a little more clean and when activated it is just press space to have all the options shown in OpenCore Boot Menu.
*Timeout=0 at openCore Boot Menu you need to choose one option, it will not boot automatically, its interessing to use during the instalation of new systems because in automatic mode eventually can be choosen the wrong option. The number 0 can be switched for any others number that will represent the time in seconds that you will have for choose the system before it boot automatically in the first option.
*When everything is fine with EFI it's interessing to remove the "-v" from boot-args to look a little cleaner and put the option ShowPicker (Off), the OpenCore will boot the macOS withouth showing the options, it make the boot a little fast and cleaner, like a genuine mac, it also can be disabled at any time.

Thanks to erinviegas and Feartech, and cci[RR]us for asked the question that i have kkkk, now everythink is working fine here.
  1. Are you able to dim the brightness of the built-in LCD screen?
  2. Does your built-in LCD screen wake up on sleep?

1. Are you able to dim the brightness of the built-in LCD screen?
  2. Does your built-in LCD screen wake up on sleep?
1. Yes, it's working perfectly.
2. So far apparently yes, i have to see in a longer sleep.

1. Yes, it's working perfectly.
2. So far apparently yes, i have to see in a longer sleep.
That's good to know. How did you do it? I read your reply closely. I added "igfxonln=1" and removed CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider kexts. I still cannot change the built-in LCD brightness. :(

Are you using Monterey 12.4?

Which setting would you suggest to try?

Do you mind sharing your EFI with me? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back