Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Ideapad 330S-14IKB Catalina 10.15.7 Clover/Opencore Hotpatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to fix everything thanks to this guide but one issue is that coconutbattery shows wrong info IMG_20200312_120233__01__01.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 436435

Hardware upgrades
  • Added additional Crucial 2400 DDR4 4GB RAM.
  • Removed Intel Optane and replaced with a Kingston 240GB NVMe M.2 SSD. (macOS)
  • Removed 1TB Internal Hard Drive and replaced with a Crucial 500GB SSD. (Windows 10)
  • Removed Intel WiFi card and replaced with Lenovo Branded Broadcom BCM94352Z.
Issues
  • iMessage and Facetime. (Didn't bother as I don't use them)
Bios Settings
  • Upgrade to the latest BIOS.
  • If yours came with Intel Optane, you need to disable that and use AHCI Legacy mode (Not RST).
  • Disable secure boot and unload optimized defaults for Windows 10.
  • Disable Virtualization
1. Make Install USB (You will need a mac for this)
In Terminal:
Code:
diskutil list
In my case, it provides this output:
Code:
/dev/disk0 (internal):
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                         240.1 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                 Apple_APFS Container disk2         239.8 GB   disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):
   0:      APFS Container Scheme -                      +239.8 GB   disk1
                                 Physical Store disk0s2
   1:                APFS Volume macOS                   58.9 GB    disk1s1
   2:                APFS Volume Preboot                 43.7 MB    disk1s2
   3:                APFS Volume Recovery                509.7 MB   disk1s3
   4:                APFS Volume VM                      20.5 KB    disk1s4

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *30.8 GB    disk2
   1:       Microsoft Basic Data ERIN                    30.8 GB    disk2s1
So I can see that the USB is at /dev/disk2, time to format it. (Be sure to change the path according your flash drive)
Code:
# repartition /dev/disk2 GPT, one partition
# EFI will be created automatically
# second partition, "install_osx", HFS+J, remainder
diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 1 GPT HFS+J "install_osx" R
Download macOS Catalina from the Mac App Store, after the download process has finished, now create the USB Installer by opening terminal and writing the following command:
Code:
sudo "/Applications/Install macOS Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume  /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction

2. Installing Clover
Download the latest version of clover bootloader from here.
Open Clover bootloader installer, click on continue, agree, continue and when you reach the screen "Installation Type", click on "Change Install Location".
Choose your USB disk which should be labelled as "install_osx" as the install location.
Next click on "Customize". Make sure the following options are selected:
-Clover for UEFI booting only
-Install Clover in the ESP
-Themes
-UEFI Drivers (Under Drivers, uncheck SMCHelper-64, as we will be using VirtualSMC)
Click Install

3. Copying relevant drivers and kext files (My Clover Folder Attached Below)
Copy the files from the "drivers\UEFI" (NvmExpressDxe needed only for NVMe drives) and "kexts" folder to your USB where you have installed clover.
Replace the config.plist with the config.plist from my folder. (I strongly advise to change the serial number in the config.)

4. Installation
Step 1:
Plugin your USB, Power on your laptop, after the laptop screen turns on, press F1 repeatedly to enter into the BIOS.
Change the boot order to set the USB as the first boot device. Save and exit the BIOS.
Now it should bring you into the Clover Bootloader menu, select Install macOS Catalina (USB Drive) and press enter.
The Installer now should boot and reach installation menu.

Step 2:
From the installation menu, open Disk Utility, select the partition that you plan to install macOS, format it as Mac OS Journaled and name for the purpose of this guide we will name it "macOS". Exit Disk Utility after the format process has finished, this will bring you back to the Installer Main Menu.
Now select install macOS Catalina, agree to the "terms and conditions", select your HDD/SSD that you formatted and the installation process will begin. This will be the part 1 install. Part 1 should take around 5 minutes.

Step 3:
Laptop will automatically reboot when Part 1 installation ends. Now as soon as Clover Bootloader menu shows up, this time you select the "macOS" partition to boot from, the installer will continue with Part 2 now and show the progress bar with time remaining under the Apple boot logo.
Note: Sometimes as soon as the time remaining shows up under the Apple boot logo, the laptop will reboot once more, if this happens, choose to boot from the "macOS" partition and Part 2 installation will continue and complete.
After the installation has been completed, the laptop will reboot and bring you to the Part 3 - first boot user setup.

Step 4:
Select Language, Continue, Connecting to the Internet is optional or you can skip it for now.
When you reach the menu to sign with your Apple ID, make sure to skip this step, it will be important if you want to set up iMessage & FaceTime.

5. Post Installation
Step 1:
Open Clover Bootloader installer and continue with bootloader installation into the HDD/SSD that we installed macOS.
The procedures are exactly the same as on the Creating USB Installer, except that this time, instead of the USB Drive, we select the "macOS" HDD/SSD that we installed macOS. Also, copy drivers from the "drivers\UEFI" folder to the "drivers\UEFI" folder on the Hard drive.

Step 2:
Now we need to install all the needed kexts into the HDD/SSD where we installed macOS.
All kexts should be installed into /Library/Extensions. Easiest way to Install kexts is with HackinTool. (Guide). Install all the kexts from the Library/Extensions folder I have attached.
Remove AppleIntelLpssI2C.kext and AppleIntelLpssI2CController.kext from /System/Library/Extentions or disable them with clover configurator and replace IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext(rebuild cache with hackintool)
Remove all kexts except for Lilu,VirtualSMC and WhateverGreen from your \EFI\CLOVER\kexts\Other
Reboot and press F4 and Fn+F4 at the bootloader. (This will generate you DSDT and SSDT files)
Boot into the system and copy the DSDT and SSDT-PNLF from my Clover folder to EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched. (You should ideally create these on your own)

That's it! Ideally, if you have the same config you should be done, but I would always recommend the Vanilla way and fix issues one by one. (I have made simple Guides for this attached in my folder).

Step 3:
Use Hackintool to fix hibernation and for USB port patching. (Guides in the folder)
Add DPI controls here.

Download (Click on Clone or download>Download as Zip)
https://github.com/erinviegas/Lenovo-Ideapad-330S-14IKB

I've based this guide on my previous Mojave guide.

Thank you @erinviegas for the great guide. I am thinking of buying a cheap laptop to Hackintosh with Catalina for iOS Development. My country has limited models available, so I found this one which has similarities to yours. Can you check if any of the specs are deal-breakers or would you guide work just as well?

Thank you @erinviegas for the great guide. I am thinking of buying a cheap laptop to Hackintosh with Catalina for iOS Development. My country has limited models available, so I found this one which has similarities to yours. Can you check if any of the specs are deal-breakers or would you guide work just as well?
The one listed is the 330. This guide is for the 330S. There is a separate guide for the 330 on the forum. That being said, there are much newer Lenovo laptops like the S340.

Last edited:
Any chance to work on 330s-15ikb?

Cpu: I5-8250u
Ram: 4GB stock and added 8GB hyperx.
Gpu: Hybrid intel and radeon 535
Ssd: Kingston 500Gb
Ssd2: Intel optane (stock)

Thanks!

Updated to 10.5.4 successfully!

thank you for your quick reply unfortunately not going

Attachments

• BCC5BECD-D53D-4FC1-96F1-450B852404A2.jpeg