Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo G50-70 and Z50-70 Bios whitelist removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am stuck at the CMD command line. I have no clue how to navigate to my ftpw65 file which is inside Downloads and a Folder called FPT_Windows64 and I also have no idea when to ad the command line fptw64.exe -f bios.bin -bios. Tried and googled different Things without any success. Absolut newbie when it Comes to cmd and Windows.
cd C:\Users\.........

Lenovo G50-70 , Z40-70 and Z50-70
Bios whitelist removal howto

Disclaimer

This is a DANGEROUS procedure and it may damage your laptop if you make mistakes. It worked for me and some friends so I decided to share it.
Use the informations contained in this document at your own risk, I take no responsibility for any damage.

Prerequisites

If you have a newer bios installed you can downgrade it: in bios setup enable the Bios Back Flash option and flash the required version (9ACN26WW or 9BCN26WW).
Once you have the proper version installed, load the default settings before proceeding. You can adjust some options but DO NOT CHANGE the Graphic Device related options.
From now on I will refer to the G50-70 bios name, if you have a Z50-70 be aware the filename differs.

Backup Bios

Execute Universal Bios Backup as administrator and backup your actual bios. You will get a file called LENOVO-9ACN26WW.rom , it’s your bios image.
Put it in an empty folder we will use as workspace.

Decompile and Modify Bios

Launch PhoenixTool.exe and open your bios image with it.

View attachment 179109

Your image is now being extracted, be patient and press OK to the two info popup.
When the extraction process finishes, in the Manufacturer dropdown list choose Lenovo and once done press the Advanced button. In the Options window check the options marked with red in the image

View attachment 179110

Press Done. You’ll go back to the previous window where you have now to press Go. Wait until it finishes working and shows you this message:

View attachment 179111

DO NOT PRESS OK YET!!!!
Open the workspace folder where LENOVO-9ACN26WW.rom was and you should find the DUMP directory, navigate into it and look for a file named 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_xxxx.ROM .
There will be more than one file with the same name except for the _xxxx part,
open the bigger one (7k) with the hex editor.

View attachment 179112

We are now going to modify the bios, be sure to edit the correct bytes.
At the offsets 2F9, 322 and 366 you will find the value 74, it represents a conditional jump instruction in assembly, change it to EB which is an unconditional jump instruction. When executed it won’t perform the WWAN and WLAN whitelist checks. The next two images will show you the file before and after the edit:

View attachment 179113View attachment 179114

if you found the very same values and modified the file as instructed, save the file and close the hex editor.
You can now press OK on the PhoenixTool popup. It will repack your bios and after a while you will find LENOVO-9ACN26WW_SLIC.rom besides the backup one in the workspace folder. This is your whitelist free bios image.

Flash Modified Bios

Rename LENOVO-9ACN26WW_SLIC.rom to bios.bin and copy it in the same folder where fptw64.exe is.
Use the sleep bug to disable bios write protection (optional but sometimes required): close the lid, wait for the laptop sleep, reopen the lid.
Open a CLI window as administrator, navigate to the folder where ftpw64.exe and bios.bin are and type:
Code:
fptw64.exe -f bios.bin -bios
Press Enter and wait until it ends.
Cross your fingers and reboot.
If you did everything properly your Lenovo G50-70 is now whitelist free.
Remember to enable wifi in the bios setup ;)

Credits

I wish to thank donovan6000 for his excellent guide. Although there are many differences in the bios code it puts me in the right direction.

Hi daigosx,

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29830737/LenovoBiosMod/fptw.zip is not working.

downloaded the tool from http://manydlls.org/fptw64.exe/en-download-9297.html but, getting error as below for both 32 bit and 63 bit tool.

View attachment 351759
Lenovo G50-70 , Z40-70 and Z50-70
Bios whitelist removal howto

Disclaimer

This is a DANGEROUS procedure and it may damage your laptop if you make mistakes. It worked for me and some friends so I decided to share it.
Use the informations contained in this document at your own risk, I take no responsibility for any damage.

Prerequisites

If you have a newer bios installed you can downgrade it: in bios setup enable the Bios Back Flash option and flash the required version (9ACN26WW or 9BCN26WW).
Once you have the proper version installed, load the default settings before proceeding. You can adjust some options but DO NOT CHANGE the Graphic Device related options.
From now on I will refer to the G50-70 bios name, if you have a Z50-70 be aware the filename differs.

Backup Bios

Execute Universal Bios Backup as administrator and backup your actual bios. You will get a file called LENOVO-9ACN26WW.rom , it’s your bios image.
Put it in an empty folder we will use as workspace.

Decompile and Modify Bios

Launch PhoenixTool.exe and open your bios image with it.

View attachment 179109

Your image is now being extracted, be patient and press OK to the two info popup.
When the extraction process finishes, in the Manufacturer dropdown list choose Lenovo and once done press the Advanced button. In the Options window check the options marked with red in the image

View attachment 179110

Press Done. You’ll go back to the previous window where you have now to press Go. Wait until it finishes working and shows you this message:

View attachment 179111

DO NOT PRESS OK YET!!!!
Open the workspace folder where LENOVO-9ACN26WW.rom was and you should find the DUMP directory, navigate into it and look for a file named 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_xxxx.ROM .
There will be more than one file with the same name except for the _xxxx part,
open the bigger one (7k) with the hex editor.

View attachment 179112

We are now going to modify the bios, be sure to edit the correct bytes.
At the offsets 2F9, 322 and 366 you will find the value 74, it represents a conditional jump instruction in assembly, change it to EB which is an unconditional jump instruction. When executed it won’t perform the WWAN and WLAN whitelist checks. The next two images will show you the file before and after the edit:

View attachment 179113View attachment 179114

if you found the very same values and modified the file as instructed, save the file and close the hex editor.
You can now press OK on the PhoenixTool popup. It will repack your bios and after a while you will find LENOVO-9ACN26WW_SLIC.rom besides the backup one in the workspace folder. This is your whitelist free bios image.

Flash Modified Bios

Rename LENOVO-9ACN26WW_SLIC.rom to bios.bin and copy it in the same folder where fptw64.exe is.
Use the sleep bug to disable bios write protection (optional but sometimes required): close the lid, wait for the laptop sleep, reopen the lid.
Open a CLI window as administrator, navigate to the folder where ftpw64.exe and bios.bin are and type:
Code:
fptw64.exe -f bios.bin -bios
Press Enter and wait until it ends.
Cross your fingers and reboot.
If you did everything properly your Lenovo G50-70 is now whitelist free.
Remember to enable wifi in the bios setup ;)

Credits

I wish to thank donovan6000 for his excellent guide. Although there are many differences in the bios code it puts me in the right direction.

Hi daigosx

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29830737/LenovoBiosMod/fptw.zip is not working. so downloaded different version from http://manydlls.org/fptw64.exe/en-download-9297.html

unfortunately getting error as below.
1.png

Please sugegst if any option.

Thanks....

Read the thread, there are many links to working tools.

If post #1 does not have the proper links, you should update it so it does have correct/working links.

Hi guys, anyone from you already updated to Mojave with this build? Would like to know your experience.

Thanks for this guide but it doesn't work for my lenovo z50-70.
should i disable the wifi from the bois before starting anything?
i tried to back up with both scenarios with wifi enabled and disabled from the bios. i followed your guide step by step, but when i replaced my wifi card i got a message saying "unauthorized wireless ........ power off and remove it".
so what should i do?
by the way once a got an error like the one mentioned in #250 and wrote the code it took like 5 secs. and nothing happened but also it didn't give me an error.
Please help me.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    22.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Thanks for this guide but it doesn't work for my lenovo z50-70.
should i disable the wifi from the bois before starting anything?
i tried to back up with both scenarios with wifi enabled and disabled from the bios. i followed your guide step by step, but when i replaced my wifi card i got a message saying "unauthorized wireless ........ power off and remove it".
so what should i do?
by the way once a got an error like the one mentioned in #250 and wrote the code it took like 5 secs. and nothing happened but also it didn't give me an error.
Please help me.
Thanks in advance.
You probably didn't modified the bios properly. Have a look at post #117 and use a different hex editor.

You probably didn't modified the bios properly. Have a look at post #117 and use a different hex editor.
Thanks for your quick reply, but again the same nothing changed.
I will explain what I did exactly and please redirect me or correct me.
First I downgraded the bios version by using the one you mentioned.
I loaded the default settings in the bios.
I backed up the bios image and saved it in a folder. Opened phonex tool and navigate to the bios image later on selected Lenovo and made the changes your mentioned by using the hex editor and change the values and explained then pressed okay to the pop up msg.
renamed the file i got into bios.bin ( note here once i just renamed with keeping the .raw extension and one more time i just changed the extension into .bin instead of .raw.)
Then i copied the image ( bios.bin) into fptw64.exe folder and ran the commands you wrote.
(note that i had to try more that one version of fptw64.exe).
That's all after running the command it took nearly 5 secs. but nothing changed.
What should i do next? I wanna change my Wifi card pls.

Please need help. Before modifying, should I disable WiFi from the bios? Or keep it as it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back