[Guide] Lenovo G50-70 and Z50-70 Bios whitelist removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
THANKS
I´ve successfully removed whitelist on my
Lenovo Z50-70
:headbang:

Last edited:
Hi All, The link to the Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit is broken. All searches either lead to other forums or Trojan downloads. Can someone post the toolkit on this site?

Has anybody tried this? I took the 9BCN26WW.exe file and extracted it with 7zip. I got a 9bcn26ww.fd file which is a Lenovo bios file. Also got the InsydeFlash.exe plus support files. I changed the file using the instructions for extracting the code and changing the bytes. I saved the changes and repacked the bios as instructed. I now have a 9bcn26ww_slic.fd file. Question is: can I repack the zip with the modded bios file and run it?

THANKS
I´ve successfully removed whitelist on my
Lenovo Z50-70
:headbang:
Hi arehep. Did you just use a modded bios downloaded from Lenovo?

Hi arehep. Did you just use a modded bios downloaded from Lenovo?
No i flashed with 9bcn91.exe from Lenovo then used Universal BIOS Backup Toolkit to make a backup i used to modify.
Flashed back to 9bnc26ww.exe and then used FTP_v.9.5.0.1428 to flash the modified.
BTY i don´t think Lenovo provide modded biosfiles

I used this Hex Editor
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor
insted of the one (HxD) suggested in OP.
IMO it´s much safer as my first attemt using HxD resultet in a bricked bios.

Had to buy a new bios chip and replace (solder) the bricked.
So if modding fail resulting in a bricked bios where no recovery methode will work
You can buy a new chip from here:
If G50-70
http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/en_US/?ObjectID=37801917

If Z50-70
http://www.bios-chip24.com/epages/63730052.sf/en_US/?ObjectID=45156715

Check if your motherboard name is the same as in bioschip discribtion.
If not just contact the owner Eugen Müller.

https://shop.strato.de/epages/63730052.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63730052/Categories/ContactForm

Last edited:
Has anybody tried this? I took the 9BCN26WW.exe file and extracted it with 7zip. I got a 9bcn26ww.fd file which is a Lenovo bios file. Also got the InsydeFlash.exe plus support files. I changed the file using the instructions for extracting the code and changing the bytes. I saved the changes and repacked the bios as instructed. I now have a 9bcn26ww_slic.fd file. Question is: can I repack the zip with the modded bios file and run it?
I tried with no success. Let me know if you have better luck

I used this Hex Editor
http://www.hhdsoftware.com/free-hex-editor
insted of the one (HxD) suggested in OP.
IMO it´s much safer as my first attemt using HxD resultet in a bricked bios.

Had to buy a new bios chip and replace (solder) the bricked.

I am really sorry to read this.
I linked HxD cause it is the easyer to use, I am gonna add your one to OP

Lenovo G50-70 and Z50-70
Bios whitelist removal howto

Disclaimer

This is a DANGEROUS procedure and it may damage your laptop if you make mistakes. It worked for me and some friends so I decided to share it.
Use the informations contained in this document at your own risk, I take no responsibility for any damage.

Prerequisites

If you have a newer bios installed you can downgrade it: in bios setup enable the Bios Back Flash option and flash the required version (9ACN26WW or 9BCN26WW).
Once you have the proper version installed, load the default settings before proceeding. You can adjust some options but DO NOT CHANGE the Graphic Device related options.
From now on I will refer to the G50-70 bios name, if you have a Z50-70 be aware the filename differs.

Backup Bios

Execute Universal Bios Backup as administrator and backup your actual bios. You will get a file called LENOVO-9ACN26WW.rom , it’s your bios image.
Put it in an empty folder we will use as workspace.

Decompile and Modify Bios

Launch PhoenixTool.exe and open your bios image with it.

View attachment 179109

Your image is now being extracted, be patient and press OK to the two info popup.
When the extraction process finishes, in the Manufacturer dropdown list choose Lenovo and once done press the Advanced button. In the Options window check the options marked with red in the image

View attachment 179110

Press Done. You’ll go back to the previous window where you have now to press Go. Wait until it finishes working and shows you this message:

View attachment 179111

DO NOT PRESS OK YET!!!!
Open the workspace folder where LENOVO-9ACN26WW.rom was and you should find the DUMP directory, navigate into it and look for a file named 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_xxxx.ROM .
There will be more than one file with the same name except for the _xxxx part,
open the bigger one (7k) with the hex editor.

View attachment 179112

We are now going to modify the bios, be sure to edit the correct bytes.
At the offsets 2F9, 322 and 366 you will find the value 74, it represents a conditional jump instruction in assembly, change it to EB which is an unconditional jump instruction. When executed it won’t perform the WWAN and WLAN whitelist checks. The next two images will show you the file before and after the edit:

View attachment 179113View attachment 179114

if you found the very same values and modified the file as instructed, save the file and close the hex editor.
You can now press OK on the PhoenixTool popup. It will repack your bios and after a while you will find LENOVO-9ACN26WW_SLIC.rom besides the backup one in the workspace folder. This is your whitelist free bios image.

Flash Modified Bios

Rename LENOVO-9ACN26WW_SLIC.rom to bios.bin and copy it in the same folder where fptw64.exe is.
Use the sleep bug to disable bios write protection (optional but sometimes required): close the lid, wait for the laptop sleep, reopen the lid.
Open a CLI window as administrator, navigate to the folder where ftpw64.exe and bios.bin are and type:
Code:
fptw64.exe -f bios.bin -bios
Press Enter and wait until it ends.
Cross your fingers and reboot.
If you did everything properly your Lenovo G50-70 is now whitelist free.
Remember to enable wifi in the bios setup ;)

Credits

I wish to thank donovan6000 for his excellent guide. Although there are many differences in the bios code it puts me in the right direction.
The tools for the whitelist removal are no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back