Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo G50-70 and Z50-70 Bios whitelist removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
HUGE THANKS to you tonymacx86 and all the contributors here.

I have followed the steps described and successfully removed the whitelist check.
I have a Lenovo G50-70, i5 4210U, 8Gb RAM, SSD and Windows 10x64 (RAM and SSD were updated by me). The notebook is with AMD Radeon which is broken (burned I guess) but it works perfectly with the integrated Intel graphics. My wifi is Intel AC3160 but I intend to update to a 2x2 streams AC WiFi.
My initial and original bios was 9ACN25WW. I applied the modifications suggested here directly on this version and it worked ( I did not updated to 9acn26ww nor will since everything works perfectly ). I guess Lenovo implemented bios modification protection flash starting with versions newer than 9acn26ww, maybe that's why it worked just fine also on mine 9acn25ww.

Wow this trick worked for me in Lenovo G50-70. The Intel 9260 card that I ordered arrived after 2 months and as soon as it it came I just inserted booted normally. Ubuntu automatically downloaded the driver and now I have 1730mbps wifi + bluetooth 5.0. Thanks to the trick founder.

wait for the card or try and boot using a blacklisted card (doesn't matter if it is supported by osx)

My card should be dual band and it works

This is such a great guide and I have been searching all over the place to find one for the HP 2012 Laptop I have model G6-1d28dx. The usual Bios forums don't seem to have any guides for the HP. The structure of the output modules look very similar to the Lenova. How did you figure out which module and what to change to remove whitelist check, maybe a debugger?

Edited:

I am guessing a good disassembler like IDA pro and some sort of debug application to load the Bios Rom into QEMU/Coreboot/SeaBios etc etc either way its not an easy process and I did find a tutorial for the insyde bios after more searching that is not as complicated as it sounds. Thanks!

Last edited:
Most of the links are dead, can you please update them? Thanks.

Flash Modified Bios

I would be grateful if you could help me here.

I managed to do all of the steps except the very last one.

“Open a CLI window as administrator, navigate to the folder where ftpw64.exe and bios.bin are and type”

what do you mean CLI do you mean Command line interface?

but how do you navigate to where the files are with it

thank you for your help

Dean

Flash Modified Bios

I would be grateful if you could help me here.

I managed to do all of the steps except the very last one.

“Open a CLI window as administrator, navigate to the folder where ftpw64.exe and bios.bin are and type”

what do you mean CLI do you mean Command line interface?

but how do you navigate to where the files are with it

thank you for your help

Dean

The CLI in Windows is CMD.EXE.
Navigation probably means to use the 'cd' command to change the current working directory.

I tried the plan as above and on the last step I received this error
Missing pmxdll32e.dll file
any help please

The links to Universal Bios Backup Toolkit and fptw64.exe appear to be down :( - anyone have a backup?

EDIT:
  1. fptw64.exe can be found here: https://forum-de.msi.com/index.php?topic=103340.0 (search for the 9.5 version).
  2. Universal Bios Backup Toolkit can be found on google, ignore the virus warning (I had to use Firefox as Chrome just refused to download the file).
I managed to get it all running, see screenshot attached, super happy, thank you!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6494.jpg
    IMG_6494.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back