Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

You forgot to rename GFX0->IGPU. As per post #1, it is a requirement of SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Also, your ACPI configuration is wrong. As per ACPI guide, DropOem must be set true with patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched. You have it set false.

RehabMan, thank you so much for your help.
Re-patched DSDT/SSDT, DropOem True, and the magic slider of brightness is working !!
Once again thank you for your effort and time to help others. :headbang:

Many thanks for the guide, but it failed spectacularly on my Acer Aspire V5-573

25% max brightness with no slider in Displays prefpane :(

Brightness Slider.app still worked (over the 25% range of 0% to 25%).

I also tried SSDT-Config.aml set to alternate Haswell value.

I have reverted to IntelBacklight.kext and I am locked at 100%. Slider does not work in prefpane, but Brightness Slider.app works. Glad I backed up all the files in the guide...

I was just wondering what SetIntelBacklight checkbox does in Clover Configurator Vibrant..??

Here is my custom EDID, but I also have InjectEDID checked...

00FFFFFFFFFFFF000DAF92150000000035130103801D10780A07F59A574E87261E5054000000010101010101010101010101010101014C1D56CA50001D303C28460058C110000018000000FE004E31353642362D4C30420A2020000000FE00434D4F0A202020202020202020000000FE004E31353642362D4C30420A2020002C

Many thanks for any insight you can provide (I have Haswell PNLF patch in DSDT and all graphics are still set to GFX0 in my scenario).

Many thanks for the guide, but it failed spectacularly on my Acer Aspire V5-573

25% max brightness with no slider in Displays prefpane :(

Brightness Slider.app still worked (over the 25% range of 0% to 25%).

I also tried SSDT-Config.aml set to alternate Haswell value.

I have reverted to IntelBacklight.kext and I am locked at 100%. Slider does not work in prefpane, but Brightness Slider.app works. Glad I backed up all the files in the guide...

I was just wondering what SetIntelBacklight checkbox does in Clover Configurator Vibrant..??

Here is my custom EDID, but I also have InjectEDID checked...

00FFFFFFFFFFFF000DAF92150000000035130103801D10780A07F59A574E87261E5054000000010101010101010101010101010101014C1D56CA50001D303C28460058C110000018000000FE004E31353642362D4C30420A2020000000FE00434D4F0A202020202020202020000000FE004E31353642362D4C30420A2020002C

Many thanks for any insight you can provide (I have Haswell PNLF patch in DSDT and all graphics are still set to GFX0 in my scenario).

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Don't bother replying if you have IntelBacklight.kext installed.
As per post #1, IntelBacklgiht.kext does not work.
As per post #1, using setting IntelBacklight in config.plist is a mistake.

Hello good sir!

I have a Samsung NP530U4B running El Capitan with internal display and HDMI out working if I plug it in - and after following your instructions - a SSDT_PNLF in ACPI/Patched, an AppleBacklightInjector.kext in Library/Extensions and the AppleBacklight patch in config.plist.

After booting, to the best of my knowledge, I am able to use the internal display and HDMI will full acceleration. The only problem I can find is that the white balance (or something) of the internal display is almost completely blown-out.

I do not have this problem with my HDMI output. Plugging my laptop directly in to my TV outputs normal, balanced color, at the correct resolution, with full acceleration.

I say "white balance" because
I don't think it's a (normal) gamma issue:
adjusting the gamma with either El Capitan's built-in calibration or a third-party utility (SuperCal) shows that there is no loss of black or white detail,

I don't think is a (normal) brightness issue:
When I plug my AC adapter into the computer, the
screen brightens, but it doesn't seem to make the "whiteness" of the display worse, it seems to just increase the light output of the display. The internal display is usable (I am using it to write this post) it just looks like someone scrubbed the display with bleach and washed everything out.

Before this go around with a wiped hard drive, new El Capitan install with the AppleBacklightInjector solution (on a previous installation, same laptop) I used your IntelBacklight solution, gained a brightness slider in System Preferences, and had functioning brightness keys. Again, with this solution, I encountered the same issue - and when I adjusted the brightness of the screen using the keys or the slider, it didn't seem to change the overall overblown whiteness of the display, simply the light output of the panel - I was able to decrease the panel light output to zero, and effectively turn off the display.

The only other note I have is that with the IntelBacklight solution, the display would sleep, and upon me waking up the system, even before logging back in to El Capitan, my screen would have fixed itself, and the white, overblown brightness would go away, leaving a nice balanced image on my internal display... until I rebooted. At which point the overblown whiteness would be back.

Have any ideas? I considered going the "LMAX" route you suggested in your guide, with another SSDT-config, but I wanted to send you a post, document my steps, and log my... logs... before I continued.

PS - Last last note - the screenCap.zip is useless... of course... because my screen looks dang near perfect (the issue is not present) other than some color-balance issues. I'll see if I can snap an interlace-free photo of the screen using a DSLR or something and upload it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• aedahl’s MacBook Pro.zip
    326 KB · Views: 116
  • boot.zip
    8.5 KB · Views: 78
  • CLOVER.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 99
  • kextcache_output.zip
    869 bytes · Views: 95
  • kextstat_output.zip
    1,012 bytes · Views: 105
  • screenCap.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Hello good sir!

I have a Samsung NP530U4B running El Capitan with internal display and HDMI out working if I plug it in - and after following your instructions - a SSDT_PNLF in ACPI/Patched, an AppleBacklightInjector.kext in Library/Extensions and the AppleBacklight patch in config.plist.

After booting, to the best of my knowledge, I am able to use the internal display and HDMI will full acceleration. The only problem I can find is that the white balance (or something) of the internal display is almost completely blown-out.

I do not have this problem with my HDMI output. Plugging my laptop directly in to my TV outputs normal, balanced color, at the correct resolution, with full acceleration.

I say "white balance" because
I don't think it's a (normal) gamma issue:
adjusting the gamma with either El Capitan's built-in calibration or a third-party utility (SuperCal) shows that there is no loss of black or white detail,

I don't think is a (normal) brightness issue:
When I plug my AC adapter into the computer, the
screen brightens, but it doesn't seem to make the "whiteness" of the display worse, it seems to just increase the light output of the display. The internal display is usable (I am using it to write this post) it just looks like someone scrubbed the display with bleach and washed everything out.

Before this go around with a wiped hard drive, new El Capitan install with the AppleBacklightInjector solution (on a previous installation, same laptop) I used your IntelBacklight solution, gained a brightness slider in System Preferences, and had functioning brightness keys. Again, with this solution, I encountered the same issue - and when I adjusted the brightness of the screen using the keys or the slider, it didn't seem to change the overall overblown whiteness of the display, simply the light output of the panel - I was able to decrease the panel light output to zero, and effectively turn off the display.

The only other note I have is that with the IntelBacklight solution, the display would sleep, and upon me waking up the system, even before logging back in to El Capitan, my screen would have fixed itself, and the white, overblown brightness would go away, leaving a nice balanced image on my internal display... until I rebooted. At which point the overblown whiteness would be back.

Have any ideas? I considered going the "LMAX" route you suggested in your guide, with another SSDT-config, but I wanted to send you a post, document my steps, and log my... logs... before I continued.

PS - Last last note - the screenCap.zip is useless... of course... because my screen looks dang near perfect (the issue is not present) other than some color-balance issues. I'll see if I can snap an interlace-free photo of the screen using a DSLR or something and upload it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Your Samsung is probably using eDP. eDP is not supported in macOS/OS X>

Rehabman,

thanks again for your great work. To get this working for my Dell Inspiron 7537 I had to do the following:

re-patch DSDT and SSDTs - make sure you disassemble using refs.txt then patch without brightness patches - I patched the DSDT and 3 SSDTs - nVidia GTX 750m had to be disabled via SSDT patch.

backlight kexts deleted from Clover kext directory then 3 patches applied as per post 1 of this guide (kext installed in S/L/E).

that gave me the brightness control and range back but I was getting 'sticky keys' so added SSDT-DELL-WN09.dsl after SSDT-PNLF in the sorted order for SSDTs loading (don't use .dsl - copy and paste text in MacIASL, compile and save as an .aml)

The same configuration also works for my 3542 - though I had been using the sticky key fix for that before 10.12.4

hope this helps...

Whoops - should have included that in my original post: it is not - too old to be using eDP.

You should check in Windows.
And open a separate thread... (your question is off-topic).

Rehabman,

thanks again for your great work. To get this working for my Dell Inspiron 7537 I had to do the following:

re-patch DSDT and SSDTs - make sure you disassemble using refs.txt then patch without brightness patches - I patched the DSDT and 3 SSDTs - nVidia GTX 750m had to be disabled via SSDT patch.

backlight kexts deleted from Clover kext directory then 3 patches applied as per post 1 of this guide (kext installed in S/L/E).

that gave me the brightness control and range back but I was getting 'sticky keys' so added SSDT-DELL-WN09.dsl after SSDT-PNLF in the sorted order for SSDTs loading (don't use .dsl - copy and paste text in MacIASL, compile and save as an .aml)

The same configuration also works for my 3542 - though I had been using the sticky key fix for that before 10.12.4

hope this helps...

All as expected... (and documented in post #1).

Note: This guide does not cover keyboard mapping. That is a distinctly separate topic.

Back