Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Actually bright is not a problem for me, I was just trying to fix this to check if my real problem was fixed as well, which is every time that display goes off (sleep or standby), it can't turn on again (only black screen with backlit).

Do you think I can fix the sleep/wake problem without fixing the bright problem?

Off-topic.

Hey man thanks for this guide I install it and using it with slider but my function key doesn't work properly and I didn't see any part to mention function keys
I am using SSDT-RMCF.aml too in case that helps

You need to read post #1 carefully to find the link to the information regarding brightness key mapping.

Minimal is "fast boot" enabled.
Thorough is "fast boot" disabled.
Change to Thorough.

No need to set LMAX. Default is 0x56c for your hardware.
But there are other options you can set.
Read the comments in SSDT-RMCF.dsl carefully.
I've tried all options in SSDT-RMCF but nothing work. Then i installed windows 10 and upgraded BIOS. After that i can boot with Legacy boot mode. After patching DSDT again, the slider works on boot. But now it doesn't wake up after sleep, the screen stay black. I've tried to inject EDID but not work. I also try to instrument _PTS & _WAK methods, but seem like it not event enter method _PTS & _WAK.

Attachments

• debug_8274_legacy_boot_on.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 69
I've tried all options in SSDT-RMCF but nothing work. Then i installed windows 10 and upgraded BIOS. After that i can boot with Legacy boot mode. After patching DSDT again, the slider works on boot. But now it doesn't wake up after sleep, the screen stay black. I've tried to inject EDID but not work. I also try to instrument _PTS & _WAK methods, but seem like it not event enter method _PTS & _WAK.

Read here regarding EDID override:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-in-10-13-high-sierra.233582/

Hi RehabMan,

I have followed all instructions from the first post, and generated a patched EDID with the script of tosbaha (Custom EDID in Clover), but still no brightness slider on my hackintosh.

I have attached the debug file, would you please have a look on what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• debug_5369.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
Hi RehabMan,

I have followed all instructions from the first post, and generated a patched EDID with the script of tosbaha (Custom EDID in Clover), but still no brightness slider on my hackintosh.

I have attached the debug file, would you please have a look on what I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance.

config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Custom has no effect without config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=true. You have it set false.

MacBookPro14,3 is a poor choice. Use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1.

Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

It works now!!! Thank you so much.

As for the kexts, I tried to reinstall all of them, but still the same error message, but that might be too off-topic here.

Again, can't thank you enough for pointing out that tiny mistake, I otherwise would have never found out.

As for the kexts, I tried to reinstall all of them, but still the same error message, but that might be too off-topic here.

Not sure what you mean by "error message".

what is _UID in SSDT-PNLF.dsl and how is it used?
I'm using ig-platform-id: 0x0d260007 for my HD4600, as the ports definition best suits my laptop (4 ports in total including internal display)
as per guide, I'll need to set LMAX accordingly, thus 0x7a1

Code:
0700260d 01030403 00000004 00002002 00005001 00000060 a1070000 a1070000 00000000 00000000 00000800 02000000

however, I noticed, in SSDT-PNLF I had to change _UID to 15 (the same as default for Haswell) instead of 17 originally, otherwise no brightness slider for me.
(see the end of file https://github.com/1and1get2/CP65S/blob/master/DSDT_NEW/hotpatch/SSDT-PNLF.dsl)

I did google around however nothing was found relating to the usage/purpose of _UID, and nothing in AppleBacklightInjector.kext either

Attachments

• debug_31254.zip
    6.2 MB · Views: 158
Thanks for making this guide!

My laptop is a Clevo, it can be used with both Discrete (GTX 1070 only) and Optimus (Intel HD 630/GTX 1070) and I'm currently running in Discrete with NVIDIA web drivers working (like a desktop maybe?). I followed this guide and it did not work (expected).
Is there a way to make it work or I have to switch back to iGPU?
PA70HS system block diagram.png

Attachments

• debug_PA70HS.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 69
Back