Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hi,
I followed all the steps in the first post but still no backlight bar in SysPref and also no change when trying to control the Brightness.

Applied the following DSDT patches: IGPU,Layout3,IRQ,XPS13bat,USB7-8,usb pwr

Files attached.
Could you please have a look what could be the issue

hey what models is your XPS13 ?

Hi,
I followed all the steps in the first post but still no backlight bar in SysPref and also no change when trying to control the Brightness.

Applied the following DSDT patches: IGPU,Layout3,IRQ,XPS13bat,USB7-8,usb pwr

Files attached.
Could you please have a look what could be the issue

Your DSDT is wrong. It has a "Brightness Fix" patch. As per post #1, no such patches should be applied to DSDT (or any other OEM SSDT). This guide uses only SSDT-PNLF.aml to inject the PNLF device.

Note: Your ACPI setup is also wrong. Read ACPI patching guide, "Recommended configurations":
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

ok I did as asked I was still trying to fit the problems but I keep getting a black screen when booting so I'm upload the Clover folder not the EFI folder as shown in the faq i press the press F2, then F4 so the logs should be there

Your ioreg indicates brightness controls should be available in SysPrefs->Displays.
What is the issue?

Note: Your config.plist is a mess. It appears to have content from a display override file (from a ProBook?)
Also, SortedOrder not necessary with AutoMerge=true.
But your version of Clover is not new enough to support AutoMerge=true (which you are clearly trying to use since DropOem=false).
With a singe GPU, no reason to patch any OEM SSDTs. All renames can (and are) being done with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
No need for SSDT.aml in ACPI/patched, remove. You need only config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true. All other options under SSDT/Generate should be removed (they are wrong).

No files in ACPI/origin (you forgot to press F4).

ok ill do it agin .but I have 2 gpus Gtx960m and intel hd graphics 540 but my laptop won't but without me using this
  1. =::CODE::=
  2. On The Top Of DSDT:

3. -->External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3, MethodObj) External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS0, MethodObj) External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF, MethodObj) External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._ON, MethodObj) External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGOF, MethodObj) External (_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGON, MethodObj)

4. Find _WAK Method And Add These Lines:

5. -->Method (M_ON, 0, NotSerialized){If (CondRefOf(\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._ON)){\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._ON()}If (CondRefOf(\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS0)){\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS0()}If (CondRefOf(\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGON)){\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGON()}}

6. Method (M_OF, 0, NotSerialized){If (CondRefOf(\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF)){\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._OFF()}If (CondRefOf(\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3)){\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP._PS3()}If (CondRefOf(\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGOF)){\_SB_.PCI0.PEG0.PEGP.SGOF()}}

7. Then Add M_OF() Method To _INI and _WAK Methods:

8. In Order To Get Sleep To Work:

9. Find _PTS Method And Add M_ON()

10. Thats It You're Done...

and when I use DropOem the laptop won't boot ive tried DropOem but its just not working for me. also can you tell me what display override file I'm using so I can remove it please

Your ioreg indicates brightness controls should be available in SysPrefs->Displays.
What is the issue?

Note: Your config.plist is a mess. It appears to have content from a display override file (from a ProBook?)
Also, SortedOrder not necessary with AutoMerge=true.
But your version of Clover is not new enough to support AutoMerge=true (which you are clearly trying to use since DropOem=false).
With a singe GPU, no reason to patch any OEM SSDTs. All renames can (and are) being done with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.
No need for SSDT.aml in ACPI/patched, remove. You need only config.plist/ACPI/SSDT/Generate/PluginType=true. All other options under SSDT/Generate should be removed (they are wrong).

No files in ACPI/origin (you forgot to press F4).

I redid just about everything the only thing that I added the the
Disable Discrete Nvidia

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 70
  • MSI’s MacBook Pro.ioreg
    6 MB · Views: 100
  • Terminal Saved Output.txt.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I redid just about everything the only thing that I added the the
Disable Discrete Nvidia

You didn't answer my basic question:
What is the issue?

FYI: MacBookPro14,3 is a mistake. Use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1 instead.

You didn't answer my basic question:
What is the issue?

FYI: MacBookPro14,3 is a mistake. Use MacBookPro14,1 or MacBookPro11,1 instead.
I could not answer because I don't know what your talking about I didn't make any change anywhere I don't even know what the SysPrefs if to be honest ok thanks ill change it to MacBookPro14,1

Your DSDT is wrong. It has a "Brightness Fix" patch. As per post #1, no such patches should be applied to DSDT (or any other OEM SSDT). This guide uses only SSDT-PNLF.aml to inject the PNLF device.

Note: Your ACPI setup is also wrong. Read ACPI patching guide, "Recommended configurations":
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Thank you for the help. I would have sworn that I started with a vanilla DSDT, but will do it again then.
I will also get onto the ACPI patching to sort this notebook out finally.

Again, thanks a lot!! :)

Update: completed the DSDT patch again with the original vanilla DSDT and did only the patches mentioned in my previous post... Backlight control is back again :) :) :) Thank you! :)

Last edited:
ok
It is a Vostro 3460, it just happens to match the battery patch for the XPS13
you got I newer one then I do if you had a Dell XPS 13 l322x i would have been about to give you my files

Back