Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I’m not sure this will help me. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I have installed Mojave on (and High Sierra before that). Though unsupported, it worked great.

However, my discrete GPU died and I couldn’t use it all. I had it fixed by shipping it off to someone who modified one resistor that cut the power to the AMD discrete GPU. So now macOS doesn’t even know it’s there, so it works perfectly with just the Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU. With one caveat.

In High Sierra and Mojave, Apple tied the brightness controls to the discrete GPU. So since that is no longer there, I cannot dim my screen. It is turned up full throttle. Even in the daytime, it can be pretty rough to look at. Mojave’s dark mode helps a lot, but unfortunately dark mode has no effect on web page content.

I saw this thread but as this is a real Mac (though unsupported with Mojave) wanted to ask for advice before I used any of these steps.

If needed:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0050.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5

Thanks in advance if you guys can help me.

Scott

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.23.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-31 at 11.23.59 AM.png
    91 KB · Views: 68
I’m not sure this will help me. I have a 2011 MacBook Pro that I have installed Mojave on (and High Sierra before that). Though unsupported, it worked great.

However, my discrete GPU died and I couldn’t use it all. I had it fixed by shipping it off to someone who modified one resistor that cut the power to the AMD discrete GPU. So now macOS doesn’t even know it’s there, so it works perfectly with just the Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU. With one caveat.

In High Sierra and Mojave, Apple tied the brightness controls to the discrete GPU. So since that is no longer there, I cannot dim my screen. It is turned up full throttle. Even in the daytime, it can be pretty rough to look at. Mojave’s dark mode helps a lot, but unfortunately dark mode has no effect on web page content.

I saw this thread but as this is a real Mac (though unsupported with Mojave) wanted to ask for advice before I used any of these steps.

If needed:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0050.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.70f5

Thanks in advance if you guys can help me.

Scott
i have moved your post here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back