Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

hello rehab man, thx a lot for this guide.
also i read and committed all steps carefully unfortunately no backlight control sliders.

can you help me figuring out, what is wrong?
thx

Attachments

• debug_8281.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 173
hi rehabman, I had copied SSDT-PNLF.aml in ACPI/patched, and AppleBacklightFixup.kext installed to /L/E.
Brightness Slidebar showed, but it has no effect when sliding that bar.
the macOS version is 10.12.6

Attachments

• compressed.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
hi rehabman, I had copied SSDT-PNLF.aml in ACPI/patched, and AppleBacklightFixup.kext installed to /L/E.
Brightness Slidebar showed, but it has no effect when sliding that bar.
the macOS version is 10.12.6
you seem to have forgotten to install FakeSMC.kext to /Library/Extensions
How and where to install kexts:

you seem to have forgotten to install FakeSMC.kext to /Library/Extensions
How and where to install kexts:

I had tried. But still no effect, so I removed it again.

Does this guide work for a laptop running Mojave in conjunction with an nVidia GK104 Kepler card (Quadro K4100M) and the nVidia Optimus turned OFF so that only the dGPU is being used?

The GPU is detected in my system profile using the included apple nvidia driver within Mojave, but I can't seem to get backlight control to work (intel only?).

EDIT: I should mention that it was working in 10.13.6 High Sierra and I had Optimus turned off as well as the keyboard fn keys working to adjust the brightness, however it was using the nVidia webdrivers. but those are not compatible with 10.14.x.

I don't seem to see the brightness slider anymore, so perhaps once I get that working it may start to function again. Has anyone with a K4100M or similar GTX type GK104 card managed to get the brightness slider back?

Hiya, I have some trouble while using the latest Lilu + Whatevergreen + AddPNLF in Clover. The maximum brightness is very low (say 50% or less of what it should be). The slider does work, but only to darker.

When I use the PNLF.ssdt instead of AddPFNL in Clover, there is no brightness slider. When I use IntelBacklightFixup.kext (with or without PNLF.ssdt) separately it doesn't work either. I now assume IBF.kext is ncluded in Whatevergreen anyway.

I tried in Clover:
- enable_cfl_backlight_fix (boot-arg)
- Graphics/InjectEDID + ProductID: 9c7c
- SetIntelBacklight + SetIntelMaxBacklight (no value, not needed according to Whatevergreen Wiki)

I tried looking into using SSDT-RMCF but honestly I don't know where to go with it.

Hopefully you can help me find a fix!

Attachments

• debug_15966.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
problem with coofeelike processors has been solved Feartech
@Feartech ,

Please can you elaborate on what you mean with problem solved on coffeecake ?

If you do have a way to enable "Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext" kindly share with us.

Regards

@Feartech ,

Please can you elaborate on what you mean with problem solved on coffeecake ?

If you do have a way to enable "Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext" kindly share with us.

Regards
maybe ask @Nokrato ? as it wasn't me that solved it

Back