Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hi

I have implemented successfully backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF.aml as per this guide.

According to the changelog in WhateverGreen (from version 1.2.5 onwards) the AppleBacklightFixup code has been added to WhateverGreen directly, so should we upgrate to latest WhateverGreen and delete AppleBacklightFixup.kext? Any other changes needed?

Thanks

Thank you for reminding me of this. I'd been using the Kext Updater app and haven't been reading any kext update notes lately. The 2 most recent version of Whatevergreen broke my ACPIBrightness and Brightness by Bergdesign because of the included AppleBacklightFixup.

There are some laptop's brightness control will only work with ACPIBrightness and Brightness by Bergdesign. My MSi GE60 is 1 of them. My Lenovo and MSi GL62m works doesn't have this issue.

Whatevergreen 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 broke mine until I reverted back to 1.2.4.

Actually, in 1.2.6, you can add "applbkl=0" boot argument to disable AppleBacklight patching code. Let me try...

update..nope, adding that boot argument didn't work.

Last edited:
I had no backlight control and the backlight was full on, so I installed the stuff as described in this guide and all worked fine! However after the Mojave update to 10.14.3 the backlight control has been broken.
Are there any other users with the same issue?

I had no backlight control and the backlight was full on, so I installed the stuff as described in this guide and all worked fine! However after the Mojave update to 10.14.3 the backlight control has been broken.
Are there any other users with the same issue?
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Sorry I have to reply like this, but the read carefully does apply to more people! I was not directly reporting a problem, I was just asking if more people have issues with the latest Mojave 10.14.3 update. I wanted to determine first if the change in behaviour is more a general OS update thing or something very specific to my situation. If it is very specific to my situation then it make sense to figure all that stuf out and spend time on making all the debug files. If many people have the same issue after the latest update, then I rather spend my time differently. Although I'm a MacOs user for years the Hackintosh thing is new to me and it takes a considerable amount of time. I do not do this for myself, I do this for somebodies else laptop and thus I also have limited access to the hardware.

Sorry I have to reply like this, but the read carefully does apply to more people! I was not directly reporting a problem, I was just asking if more people have issues with the latest Mojave 10.14.3 update. I wanted to determine first if the change in behaviour is more a general OS update thing or something very specific to my situation. If it is very specific to my situation then it make sense to figure all that stuf out and spend time on making all the debug files. If many people have the same issue after the latest update, then I rather spend my time differently. Although I'm a MacOs user for years the Hackintosh thing is new to me and it takes a considerable amount of time. I do not do this for myself, I do this for somebodies else laptop and thus I also have limited access to the hardware.

This is not a general discussion thread.
This thread is specific to the guide in post #1.
Please refer to post #1.

Hello guys, I need help. I've tried to fix my brightness in os Sierra, I installed applebacklightfix to /L/E, lily.kext in my folder kext/other, and SSDT-PNLF, but my brightness still won't work.
Here's my spec:
Acer 4739 core i 370M
Intel HD Graphics
Ram 4GB
Clover legacy
I also attached my config.list and ioreg
Thanks

Attachments

• ioreg.ioreg
    4.1 MB · Views: 225
  • config.plist
    5 KB · Views: 266
  • Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 7.19.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 7.19.40 AM.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 210
Update: The brightness controls now work! Thanks @RehabMan!

What was I missing or doing wrong? I needed to rename GFX0 to IGPU. You can do that using Clover Configurator (it is one of the available patches (Acpi/DSDT/Patches - click on "List of patches") or you can edit the config.plist using your favourite editor changing config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches to:
<key>Patches</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>change GFX0 to IGPU</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
R0ZYMA==
</data>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
SUdQVQ==
</data>
</dict>
</array>

To summarise the other steps:
  • Copy SSDT-PNLF.aml to EFI/ACPI/patched
  • Copy AppleBacklightFixup.kext to kexts/extensions

------ original post below ------
I have followed the instructions but I still do not have a brightness slider on the Systems Preferences -> Displays preference pane.

To recap, I copied the files (SSDT-PNLF.aml to EFI/ACPI/patched, AppleBacklightFixup.kext to EFI/..../kexts/extensions). I've rebooted many times. The kernel extension is installed:

17 0 0xffffff7f80e66000 0x3000 0x3000 com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup (1.0.2) 364D711A-CCC3-3CE3-B9CC-AE9F283A7DBA <16 8 6 5 3 2 1>
16 3 0xffffff7f80e43000 0x23000 0x23000 as.vit9696.Lilu (1.3.4) 9F9C2E70-2712-3EC1-8A38-A469BCD3F66F <8 6 5 3 2 1>

This did not work. I have no other backlight fixes. I don't know what DSDTs and SSDTs are but I have not added anything myself.

I tried updating clover.plist with the entries:
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=true
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/ProductID=0x9c7c
(This is now commented out in config.plist)

That did not help. I tried the "Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)" option but that caused my laptop to reboot in an infinite loop. (In the config.plist this is commented out at "#myProperties")

I tried combinations of the above (only Devices/Properties without Graphics/EDID, with both Devices/Properties and Graphics/EDID, with Graphics/EDID without Devices/Properties).

I also tried adding "SortedOrder" with "SSDT-PNLF.aml" in config.plist, but this made no difference.

I have read and re-read the instructions many times and I cannot see what I might be doing wrong.

I have used F2 and F4 in Clover and I see that many AML files have been dumped to CLOVER/ACPI/origin. Maybe something there provides a clue? I'd appreciate and pointers.

Setup
macOS: 10.14.3 Mojave
HP ProBook 450 G5 (laptop)
CPU: I5-8250 @ 1.6GHz
Intel HD 620
8GB RAM
Clover UEFI
Working: ethernet, graphics, sound, keyboard, trackpad (works as a mouse), camera, microphone

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 215
  • screenshots.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Hello,

I know the SSDT-PNLF.aml provided in the guide is to get laptop brightness working but I've actually used the provided SSDT-PNLF.aml on my AIO desktop to get my internal display backlight working and I'm wondering if that would cause any issues that I mentioned here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/need-help-with-low-unchangeable-brightness-after-wake-all-in-one-pc.271967/ since its meant for laptops.

again, I'm terribly sorry. I know its for laptops and I'm not exactly sure where to look for help since it has an internal display.

will be very grateful if someone can help me to the right direction. Thank You!

Hello guys, I need help. I've tried to fix my brightness in os Sierra, I installed applebacklightfix to /L/E, lily.kext in my folder kext/other, and SSDT-PNLF, but my brightness still won't work.
Here's my spec:
Acer 4739 core i 370M
Intel HD Graphics
Ram 4GB
Clover legacy
I also attached my config.list and ioreg
Thanks
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

I have followed the instructions but I still do not have a brightness slider on the Systems Preferences -> Displays preference pane.

To recap, I copied the files (SSDT-PNLF.aml to EFI/ACPI/patched, AppleBacklightFixup.kext to EFI/..../kexts/extensions). I've rebooted many times. The kernel extension is installed:

17 0 0xffffff7f80e66000 0x3000 0x3000 com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup (1.0.2) 364D711A-CCC3-3CE3-B9CC-AE9F283A7DBA <16 8 6 5 3 2 1>
16 3 0xffffff7f80e43000 0x23000 0x23000 as.vit9696.Lilu (1.3.4) 9F9C2E70-2712-3EC1-8A38-A469BCD3F66F <8 6 5 3 2 1>

This did not work. I have no other backlight fixes. I don't know what DSDTs and SSDTs are but I have not added anything myself.

I tried updating clover.plist with the entries:
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/Inject=true
config.plist/Graphics/EDID/ProductID=0x9c7c
(This is now commented out in config.plist)

That did not help. I tried the "Devices/Properties/PciRoot(0)/Pci(0x02,0)" option but that caused my laptop to reboot in an infinite loop. (In the config.plist this is commented out at "#myProperties")

I tried combinations of the above (only Devices/Properties without Graphics/EDID, with both Devices/Properties and Graphics/EDID, with Graphics/EDID without Devices/Properties).

I also tried adding "SortedOrder" with "SSDT-PNLF.aml" in config.plist, but this made no difference.

I have read and re-read the instructions many times and I cannot see what I might be doing wrong.

I have used F2 and F4 in Clover and I see that many AML files have been dumped to CLOVER/ACPI/origin. Maybe something there provides a clue? I'd appreciate and pointers.

Setup
macOS: 10.14.3 Mojave
HP ProBook 450 G5 (laptop)
CPU: I5-8250 @ 1.6GHz
Intel HD 620
8GB RAM
Clover UEFI
Working: ethernet, graphics, sound, keyboard, trackpad (works as a mouse), camera, microphone
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.

Back