Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

AppleBacklight.kext requires your hardware to use the IGPU PWM registers. If it does not, you have my other suggestion.
I tried your other suggestion, still negative sir. Idk if I had done anything wrong.
This is what I've tried so far:
1. using ACPIBacklight.kext alone with DSDT patched with Brightness fix (APCI 100) (AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF removed)
2. using both

in either case I don't have my brightness at max, nor the brightness slider in syspreps.

Do you suggest me having done anything wrong sir? You need my debug files in any cases? I'm back to the start ATM with my brightness at max.

Hi, for 4 days I have been trying to solve the problem with the no control of the screen brightness, I have done all the steps of the manual in forum but control not yet working :(. Is anyone able to point out a problem with the attachments provided? I'm sorry for my English.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 112
  • ioreg.ioreg
    10.6 MB · Views: 101
  • RehabMan.zip
    46.6 KB · Views: 112
  • terminal.png
    terminal.png
    174.4 KB · Views: 110
Hi

I have implemented successfully backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF.aml as per this guide.

According to the changelog in WhateverGreen (from version 1.2.5 onwards) the AppleBacklightFixup code has been added to WhateverGreen directly, so should we upgrate to latest WhateverGreen and delete AppleBacklightFixup.kext? Any other changes needed?

Thanks

Last edited:
so should we upgrate to latest WhateverGreen and delete AppleBacklightFixup.kext?

I did that and all seems to be working OK. Backlight patch still works just using WhateverGreen.

Hi

I have implemented successfully backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF.aml as per this guide.

According to the changelog in WhateverGreen (from version 1.2.5 onwards) the AppleBacklightFixup code has been added to WhateverGreen directly, so should we upgrate to latest WhateverGreen and delete AppleBacklightFixup.kext? Any other changes needed?

Thanks
I just removed AppleBacklightFixup.kext and I can confirm that WhateverGreen.kext has the backlight patches built into it.

In certain cases, you may wish to modify the PWMMax value used to match the specifics of your framebuffer. This is especially true if you're not using the typical ig-platform-id and your ig-platform-id uses a different PWMMax.

One example would be Haswell ig-platform-id 0xa2e0008, which uses 0x56c instead of the typical 0xad9 (as used by 0xa260006).

In this case you will need to provide a custom LMAX, since the PWMMax determined based on device-id will not match your ig-platform-id.

This can be done by providing an SSDT-RMCF.aml in ACPI/patched. You will find SSDT-RMCF.dsl in the main guide/hotpatch repo: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Clover-Laptop-Config. Look in the 'hotpatch' folder.

I am not using a typical ig-platform-id 0x1660004 on my ivy platform, i use 0x01660008 instead. So where or how do i can find the correct PWMMax?

Thanks!

I tried your other suggestion, still negative sir. Idk if I had done anything wrong.
This is what I've tried so far:
  1. using ACPIBacklight.kext alone with DSDT patched with Brightness fix (APCI 100) (AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF removed)
  2. using both

in either case I don't have my brightness at max, nor the brightness slider in syspreps.

Do you suggest me having done anything wrong sir? You need my debug files in any cases? I'm back to the start ATM with my brightness at max.

Seems as if you forgot about "Brightness by bergdesign".
Always read carefully.

Hi, for 4 days I have been trying to solve the problem with the no control of the screen brightness, I have done all the steps of the manual in forum but control not yet working :(. Is anyone able to point out a problem with the attachments provided? I'm sorry for my English.
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Hi

Thanks

Your decision.

I am not using a typical ig-platform-id 0x1660004 on my ivy platform, i use 0x01660008 instead. So where or how do i can find the correct PWMMax?

Thanks!

It is same 0x710.
Refer to dumps at this thread:

Back