Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

I'm a bit confused as to what is wrong in the ACPI. Would you be able to elaborate a bit further. I read the guide and was still unsure about what is wrong with my ACPI.

Thanks, and I apologize for not understanding

I'm a bit confused as to what is wrong in the ACPI. Would you be able to elaborate a bit further. I read the guide and was still unsure about what is wrong with my ACPI.

Thanks, and I apologize for not understanding

Should have:
- config.plist/ACPI/AutoMerge=true (no need for DropOem=true)
- patched SSDT names in ACPI/patched should match those in ACPI/origin
- renames should be done only with config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches
- do not place SSDTs that require no patches in ACPI/patched
- do not apply (manually) patches (to SSDTs or DSDT) already done in config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches

I don't understand what you mean by
AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch

I don't understand what you mean by
AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch

It is covered in post #1.
Read it carefully.

Great guide!

Backlight control now works from SysPrefs->Displays on macOS Mojave.

There is one problem left to fix though: if I put the brightness slider on 100%, the screen still has a very low brightness (also, putting the slider at 20% results in a black screen instead of a low brightness screen).

Any idea on how to calibrate this correctly?

Attachments

• debug_649.zip
    2 MB · Views: 95
Great guide!

Backlight control now works from SysPrefs->Displays on macOS Mojave.

There is one problem left to fix though: if I put the brightness slider on 100%, the screen still has a very low brightness (also, putting the slider at 20% results in a black screen instead of a low brightness screen).

Any idea on how to calibrate this correctly?

You need to use SSDT-PNLF.dsl from the beta branch.
And AppleBacklightInjector.kext from the Probook beta_weg branch.

And just made some changes that allow it to detect CFL ids automatically and pick the larger LMAX=0xff7b.

With everything setup correctly, you should have in ioreg, PNLF._UID=19, F19Txxxx backlight profile data.

You need to use SSDT-PNLF.dsl from the beta branch.
And AppleBacklightInjector.kext from the Probook beta_weg branch.

And just made some changes that allow it to detect CFL ids automatically and pick the larger LMAX=0xff7b.

With everything setup correctly, you should have in ioreg, PNLF._UID=19, F19Txxxx backlight profile data.
You are a hero, it works perfectly now.

You are a hero, it works perfectly now.

If sleep is working, make sure you compare relative backlight levels pre-sleep vs. post-sleep.

I'm not really 100% sure on the LMAX of 0xff7b.
It could be anywhere between 0xff7b and 0xffff. That is a small difference and not likely to be noticed though.

If you could get a framebuffer dump from the CFL kext (kernel flag -igfxdump), that would be great.

I booted with -igfxdump, but I couldn't find the framebuffer dump in the root of my macOS drive.

Am I doing something wrong?

Did you install the debug WhateverGreen.kext?

Note (from WhateverGreen source):
Code:
#ifdef DEBUG
       if (checkKernelArgument("-igfxdump"))
           dumpFramebufferToDisk = true;
#endif

Back