Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

After doing these configurations, it still does not work

Then your laptop probably does not use the IGPU PWM registers to control the display backlight.
Computers that don't use the IGPU PWM are not compatible with AppleBacklight.kext.
It is rare, especially on newer computers, but it does happen (usually with newer computers it is because of OLED display).

Hi
According to ioreg backlight control slider should be available in SysPrefs->Displays.
What is the issue?
Rehabman,
The slider is present but it still doesnt change anything.

Hi

Rehabman,
The slider is present but it still doesnt change anything.

Then your laptop does not use the IGPU PWM registers to control backlight, therefore not compatible with Apple's AppleBacklight.kext code.

You should look into using ACPIBacklight.kext + "Brightness Fix (ACPI 100)" + "Brightness by bergdesign".

@RehabMan I got to this part on your guide:"Also Note: The SSDT-PNLF.aml assumes that GFX0 (or VID on Thinkpads) is already renamed to IGPU. It will not work if your IGPU is not at _SB.PCI0.IGPU."
How and with what can I rename this properly? I found the entry in my DSDT, not SDST.

Thanks for the link. After following the guide and setting everything up, upon boot I get:

"AGDCbacklight control failed to load", along with other errors in verbose.

When doing:
sudo kextcache -i /

I get:

"Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f946bf38120 [0x7fff85f5b8d0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightInjector.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.AppleBacklightInjector" }

kxld[com.apple.driver.AGDCBacklightControl]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AGDCBacklightControl]: AppleBacklightParameterHandler::scaleBacklightTable(unsigned short, unsigned short, unsigned short*, IOService*)

Link failed (error code 5).

Pre-link failed for com.apple.driver.AGDCBacklightControl; omitting from prelinked kernel."

What am I not doing correctly?

Thanks for the link. After following the guide and setting everything up, upon boot I get:

"AGDCbacklight control failed to load", along with other errors in verbose.

When doing:
sudo kextcache -i /

I get:

"Kext with invalid signatured (-67062) allowed: <OSKext 0x7f946bf38120 [0x7fff85f5b8d0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightInjector.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "org.rehabman.injector.AppleBacklightInjector" }

kxld[com.apple.driver.AGDCBacklightControl]: The following symbols are unresolved for this kext:

kxld[com.apple.driver.AGDCBacklightControl]: AppleBacklightParameterHandler::scaleBacklightTable(unsigned short, unsigned short, unsigned short*, IOService*)

Link failed (error code 5).

Pre-link failed for com.apple.driver.AGDCBacklightControl; omitting from prelinked kernel."

What am I not doing correctly?

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Note: Sounds like you corrupted your system kexts. Run the macOS installer to restore all Apple provided kexts to vanilla.

And..
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Here are requested files . Again, issue is related to me trying to get the backlight working on Mojave.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 118
  • IOreg.zip
    588.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Patchmatic.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 126
  • Terminal Saved Output.zip
    1 KB · Views: 130
Here are requested files . Again, issue is related to me trying to get the backlight working on Mojave.
FakeSMC.kext should be installed to /L/E as should all the kexts you only need, ie you only need 1 ethernet kext and i don't think you need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Back