Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

I realised I had not added SSDT-PNLF.aml to the sortedOrder. Once I added brightness started working.

how'd you do this....because i followed the guide but have no slider so i think this is my problem.

Yes... If SortedOrder is specified, only those SSDTs will be loaded from ACPI/patched.
A file that is in ACPI/patched, but not in SortedOrder will not load...
It is as stated in post #1...
how do I know if SortedOrder is specified? I've followed the guide to the T but still no brightness or slider so i think this is my problem

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 104
how do I know if SortedOrder is specified? I've followed the guide to the T but still no brightness or slider so i think this is my problem

You have a lot of problems here (CPU PM not implemented, IGPU PM not implemented, probably more)...

Main reason it is not working: You forgot GFX0->IGPU rename. As per post #1, it is required for SSDT-PNLF.aml (it assumes IGPU, not GFX0).
See guide for starter plists that already have the GFX0->IGPU rename:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Also...
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

It seems like the two latest versions 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 of IntelGraphicsFixUp conflicts with this method. I updated to 1.2.6 and my brightness slider disappeared and shortcut keys no longer worked.

I'm assuming it has to do with it the 1.2.5 change:
  • Add GFX0 -> IGPU automatic rename
I've gone back to 1.2.4 and it's working fine.

It seems like the two latest versions 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 of IntelGraphicsFixUp conflicts with this method. I updated to 1.2.6 and my brightness slider disappeared and shortcut keys no longer worked.

I'm assuming it has to do with it the 1.2.5 change:
  • Add GFX0 -> IGPU automatic rename
I've gone back to 1.2.4 and it's working fine.

I don't recommend using IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to do the GFX0->IGPU rename.
Using config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches is simple and perfectly reliable.
Renaming in a kext does not help with ACPI (SSDT-PNLF.aml)... you can't seriously expect that to work...

Last edited:
I don't recommend using IntelGraphicsFixup.kext to do the GFX0->IGPU rename.
Using config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches is simple and perfectly reliable.

Hi @RehabMan

I followed your guide on the brightness SSDT-PNLF patch, which is working great!

I was saying that in version 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 of the intelgraphicsfixup, it broke my brightness controls. And it might have to do with that change.

Reverting back to 1.2.4 version of intelgraphicsfixup gets my brightness working again.

Hi @RehabMan

I followed your guide on the brightness SSDT-PNLF patch, which is working great!

I was saying that in version 1.2.5 and 1.2.6 of the intelgraphicsfixup, it broke my brightness controls. And it might have to do with that change.

Reverting back to 1.2.4 version of intelgraphicsfixup gets my brightness working again.

If there is a bug in later revisions of IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, you should report it to the authors on github.

If you wish to address the issue here, you will need to provide problem reporting files that represent that scenario.

Note: You cannot expect to actually use the IntelGraphicsFixup.kext automatic rename feature though (you would still need GFX0->IGPU in config.plist). If you disabled or remove that patch and still expected this to work, that is your mistake, not a bug in IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

Last edited:
If there is a bug in later revisions of IntelGraphicsFixup.kext, you should report it to the authors on github.

If you wish to address the issue here, you will need to provide problem reporting files that represent that scenario.

Note: You cannot expect to actually use the IntelGraphicsFixup.kext automatic rename feature though (you would still need GFX0->IGPU in config.plist). If you disabled or remove that patch and still expected this to work, that is your mistake, not a bug in IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

You are right. I read the 1.2.5 update note about GFX0->IGPU so I disabled it in ACPI. Enabling it made my brightness slider and shortcut keys work again.

Regards

You have a lot of problems here (CPU PM not implemented, IGPU PM not implemented, probably more)...

Main reason it is not working: You forgot GFX0->IGPU rename. As per post #1, it is required for SSDT-PNLF.aml (it assumes IGPU, not GFX0).
See guide for starter plists that already have the GFX0->IGPU rename:

Also...
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:

Used a PLIST like recommend but now I lost my ability to boot because no HD will show.....how do I fix this?

Attachments

• A9902023-8E2D-4AED-9B21-E4A8215E80EB.jpeg
    A9902023-8E2D-4AED-9B21-E4A8215E80EB.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 112
You are right. I read the 1.2.5 update note about GFX0->IGPU so I disabled it in ACPI. Enabling it made my brightness slider and shortcut keys work again.

Regards

Removing or disabling the patch in config.plist breaks SSDT-PNLF.aml, as it assumes IGPU, not GFX0.

You may be able to modify SSDT-PNLF.aml to use GFX0 instead of IGPU, but I don't see any reason. And I really don't see any reason for this "feature" in IntelGraphicsFixup.kext.

Back