Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hi, I've tried almost everything I could in the first post of this, guide but still no backlight control. Here's my info... any ideas about what I'm missing? Perhaps something to do with DSDT? (my patched DSDT is called DSDT1.aml)

You did not rename GFX0->IGPU. As per post #1, this is a prerequisite for SSDT-PNLF.aml.

Hello~My Laptop is HP Omen 17.3, i7 7700HQ + 8GB + 128 GB + GTX1060 6GB, only can use GTX1060.
Will you be able to achieve brightness control?
Requirements

This guide is only for Intel graphics laptops.
It will work with Arrandale, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell, Broadwell, Skylake and Kaby Lake.

Off-topic. This guide is only for Intel graphics.
You might conduct some google searches...

Hey @RehabMan, I used your guide and my backlight control slider is way smoother now than before but I am unable to use the brightness keys on my laptop to change the brightness and "Display" also isn't in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
I also tested using F1 and F2 which I found with google are the shortcuts on a MacBook.
Is it normal to only be able to change the brightness in System Preferences > Display?

Hey @RehabMan, I used your guide and my backlight control slider is way smoother now than before, I used a pre-made DSDT for my laptop, but I am unable to use the brightness keys on my laptop to change the brightness and "Display" also isn't in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts.
I also tested using F1 and F2 which I found with google are the shortcuts on a MacBook.
Is it normal to only be able to change the brightness in System Preferences > Display?

See main brightness guide for how to map the keys:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-dsdt-ssdt-for-laptop-backlight-control.152659/

1. Added SSDT-PNLF.aml to /ACPI/patched
2. Added a rename of PCI0 to IGPU via Clover (verified to work)
3. Rebuilt Kextcache with a signature for AppleBacklightInjector
4. Added SSDT-PNLF.aml as the only string in SortedOrder
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My question is, is it legal to have PNLF be the only SSDT in SorterOrder given that IGPU is renamed via Clover. I will report my issue formally when I can write a proper help post. I don't have so much as a slider in SysPref->Display.

1. Added SSDT-PNLF.aml to /ACPI/patched
2. Added a rename of PCI0 to IGPU via Clover (verified to work)
3. Rebuilt Kextcache with a signature for AppleBacklightInjector
4. Added SSDT-PNLF.aml as the only string in SortedOrder
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My question is, is it legal to have PNLF be the only SSDT in SorterOrder given that IGPU is renamed via Clover. I will report my issue formally when I can write a proper help post. I don't have so much as a slider in SysPref->Display.

If SSDT-PNLF.aml is the only SSDT in ACPI/patched, then you don't need SortedOrder at all.
SortedOrder is only needed if you have SSDTs in ACPI/patched that are order dependent.

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Hi RehabMan,

I've just installed fresh Sierra (10.12.4) and have the graphic working (ig-platform-id : 16160000 with 1024 MB), but can't control brightness (no bar in display pref).
I've followed your instructions for this 10.12.4 brightness control, including inject EDID with the Ruby script explained, but still don't manage to control brightness through display pref (no bar).

Please help me to analyze ya.
Attached is Problem Reporting Files.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• odakunz.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 90
Finaly after 4 days trying i did it on Elitebook 8470p:

@RehabMan: maybe it is good in the explanation to add that in patching DSDT (which is a MUST ! because after upgrading from 10.11 almost all of users have patched DSDT with brightness fix), in patch file part for PNLF patching (adding a PNLF device) should be deleted, so newly patched AML file should be without PNLF device. This part should be explained more in details, and it will spare a big time for many.. :)

Finaly after 4 days trying i did it on Elitebook 8470p:

@RehabMan: maybe it is good in the explanation to add that in patching DSDT (which is a MUST ! because after upgrading from 10.11 almost all of users have patched DSDT with brightness fix), in patch file part for PNLF patching (adding a PNLF device) should be deleted, so newly patched AML file should be without PNLF device. This part should be explained more in details, and it will spare a big time for many.. :)

Your laptop has a guide.
You should have followed it as written... (it already implements this method automatically)
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch-10-11.189416/

And the part regarding not patching for any "Brightness Fix" is clearly stated in post #1.

Hi RehabMan,

I've just installed fresh Sierra (10.12.4) and have the graphic working (ig-platform-id : 16160000 with 1024 MB), but can't control brightness (no bar in display pref).
I've followed your instructions for this 10.12.4 brightness control, including inject EDID with the Ruby script explained, but still don't manage to control brightness through display pref (no bar).

Please help me to analyze ya.
Attached is Problem Reporting Files.
Thanks!!

You forgot to rename GFX0->IGPU. As per post #1, it is a requirement of SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Also, your ACPI configuration is wrong. As per ACPI guide, DropOem must be set true with patched SSDTs in ACPI/patched. You have it set false.

Back