Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

You load SSDT-PNLF.dsl in MaciASL and Save As (format: ACPI Machine Language Binary) to SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Then you copy the resulting file to ACPI/patched on your EFI partition.
The AppleBacklight patch is simple copy/paste from config_patches.plist to your own config.plist.
There are many ways to install kexts. The guide in post #1 uses Terminal. You should read it.

SSDT-PNLF.dsl doesn't exist, I just have SSDT-PNLF.aml in guide.git/build

SSDT-PNLF.dsl doesn't exist, I just have SSDT-PNLF.aml in guide.git/build

SSDT-PNLF.dsl is at ~/Projects/guide.git/hotpatch/SSDT-PNLF.dsl.
It is built automatically (to build/SSDT-PNLF.aml) by 'make'.
Either way you create the AML is fine.

I following the guid, I can see the slide bar and it can be controlled by fun key. But the monitor's brightness does no change. What matter with it??

My laptop:

LAPTOP_CPU=i5-5300U
LAPTOP_CPU_CODENAME=broadwell
LAPTOP_CPU_CHIPSETS=9

Solved! I forgot remove old kext. :)

Last edited:
Hello RehabMan,

Thanks for your patch for the 10.12.4 backlight.

After follow you tutorial to patch, it works.

However, when I turned Max level of brightness, it still seems dimmer than 10.12.3 brightness level.

Could you please advise any solution?

My graphic card is HD 5100 with CPU i7-4558U (UX301LA)

Thanks a lot!

OK. Here it is what i did:

Step1. >> I patch DSDT file with Lenovo ideeapad Y700 and Rename GFX0 to IGPU. After that i copy this new DSDT file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch ;
Step2. >> I open SSDT-PNLF.DSL from Projects/guide.git/hotpatch with MaciASL and save it as SSDT-PNLF.aml ;
Step3. >> I copy this new SSDT-PNFL.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch (DSDT and SSDT-PNFL.aml are in the same location - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch) ;
Step4. >> AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/krenelandkextpaches/kexttopatch (I open my config.plist with xcode and added there) ;
Step5. >> AppleBacklightInjector.kext installed to /L/E. ( I used kextwizzard to install AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E ) ;
Step6. >> Restart computer.
Step7. >> After restart, after logo apple, i see a black screen with (/)... and that's it.

Question: AppleBacklightExpert.kext is a kext that i found in /System/Library/Extensions. Should i delete this?

Files attached down below.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 93
i successfully patched everything...but there is one ultimate issue....as soon as i reboot or maybe shutdown & switch on my laptop the brightness level gets to maximum on boot...how to solve this??

i successfully patched everything...but there is one ultimate issue....as soon as i reboot or maybe shutdown & switch on my laptop the brightness level gets to maximum on boot...how to solve this??
seems to be a common issue at the moment. try updating clover to the latest version and try a few reboots

Hello RehabMan,

Thanks for your patch for the 10.12.4 backlight.

After follow you tutorial to patch, it works.

However, when I turned Max level of brightness, it still seems dimmer than 10.12.3 brightness level.

Could you please advise any solution?

My graphic card is HD 5100 with CPU i7-4558U (UX301LA)

Thanks a lot!

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

OK. Here it is what i did:

Step1. >> I patch DSDT file with Lenovo ideeapad Y700 and Rename GFX0 to IGPU. After that i copy this new DSDT file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch ;
Step2. >> I open SSDT-PNLF.DSL from Projects/guide.git/hotpatch with MaciASL and save it as SSDT-PNLF.aml ;
Step3. >> I copy this new SSDT-PNFL.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch (DSDT and SSDT-PNFL.aml are in the same location - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch) ;
Step4. >> AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/krenelandkextpaches/kexttopatch (I open my config.plist with xcode and added there) ;
Step5. >> AppleBacklightInjector.kext installed to /L/E. ( I used kextwizzard to install AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E ) ;
Step6. >> Restart computer.
Step7. >> After restart, after logo apple, i see a black screen with (/)... and that's it.

You did not patch ACPI correctly. As per ACPI patching guide, you must apply renames equally across DSDT *and* SSDTs. You have no SSDTs in ACPI/patched, and DropOem=false, so you're getting OEM SSDTs without any GFX0->IGPU rename.

See ACPI patching guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Note: GFX0->IGPU rename can be accomplished much easier with Clover hotpatch (config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches), as it is only a single entry and will rename in all DSDT+SSDTs. The hotpatch guide is linked from the main ACPI patching guide...

Question: AppleBacklightExpert.kext is a kext that i found in /System/Library/Extensions. Should i delete this?

No. (there are no instructions in post #1 to delete that kext!)

Back