Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hello I am trying to up backlight on my Lenovo ideapad with Kaby Lake processor from scratch. I have made all steps but display tab is not working correctly and no keys work for backlight control.
Do I need some other guide, like EDID injection? Could you please advise how to make it works?

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    47.5 KB · Views: 100
  • ioreg.ioreg
    6.8 MB · Views: 135
  • CLOVER.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 102
  • kextstat.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 137
Not working After installing everything rebuild cache but didn't work. I attached all Files you need for helping.
there is No brightness Slider in Display panel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 5.07.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 5.07.15 PM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 176
  • TestFolder.zip
    2 MB · Views: 130
the kext isn't getting patched

If true, then something is corrupt/changed in your AppleBacklight.kext.
Likely not vanilla.
Or for some other reason, not in kernel cache.
You need to determine the difference. Check for the pattern using a hex editor.
If you find the pattern, but Clover kext debug still shows it is not being patched, then it is a kernel cache issue (kext not in cache).
If you don't find the pattern, run the macOS installer to restore your AppleBacklight.kext to vanilla.
Also, it is possible you're not reading the debug output correctly, and it is actually being patched...
In that case, try the attached injector (remove AppleBacklightInjector.kext when using it). Reply with "Problem Reporting" files.

Attachments

• AppleBacklightInjector_0534.kext.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Hello I am trying to up backlight on my Lenovo ideapad with Kaby Lake processor from scratch. I have made all steps but display tab is not working correctly and no keys work for backlight control.
Do I need some other guide, like EDID injection? Could you please advise how to make it works?

See here for SysPrefs->Displays related topic/link:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-some-unsolved-problems-in-10-12-sierra.202316/

See main backlight guide for how to implement keyboard control... it is linked from the FAQ.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.html

Not working After installing everything rebuild cache but didn't work. I attached all Files you need for helping.
there is No brightness Slider in Display panel.

You did not enter the patch for AppleBacklight correctly into your config.plist.
It is obvious from your Clover bootlog (extracted from ioreg):
Code:
2:063  0:000   - [01]: com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight (change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan))[ERROR] bin2hex '<46257554 78787878 00>' syntax error
2:063  0:000   - invalid Find/Replace data - skipping!

Do not attempt to enter the patch manually. Use copy/paste with a plist editor.
Your mistake is trying to use "string" data type instead of "data" for Replace.
Your mistake is obvious if you look closely at your config.plist with a plist editor...

Hello Rehabman,

I put Sierra on this Probook 6470b using your probook guide and then followed this guide to the letter but cannot get the brightness slider to work. I've attached the problem reporting files, any help would be awesome!

Hello Rehabman,

I put Sierra on this Probook 6470b using your probook guide and then followed this guide to the letter but cannot get the brightness slider to work. I've attached the problem reporting files, any help would be awesome!

The ProBook guide has already been updated to use this method.
Undo what you did, and follow the ProBook guide as written. Use the 'beta' branch as per guide.

Note: Your main mistake was that you didn't set BKLT to 1 in SSDT-HACK.aml.

You did not enter the patch for AppleBacklight correctly into your config.plist.
It is obvious from your Clover bootlog (extracted from ioreg):
Code:
2:063  0:000   - [01]: com.apple.driver.AppleBacklight (change F%uT%04x to F%uTxxxx for AppleBacklightInjector.kext (credit RehabMan))[ERROR] bin2hex '<46257554 78787878 00>' syntax error
2:063  0:000   - invalid Find/Replace data - skipping!

Do not attempt to enter the patch manually. Use copy/paste with a plist editor.
Your mistake is trying to use "string" data type instead of "data" for Replace.
Your mistake is obvious if you look closely at your config.plist with a plist editor...
can I edit config.plist form Xcode.

Now backlight control working again like charm thanks a lot.:clap::headbang:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.31.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-02 at 10.31.45 PM.png
    217.4 KB · Views: 288
Back