Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hi, does the update to 12.10.5 repair the backlight control without this tutorial ? thanks

Hi, does the update to 12.10.5 repair the backlight control without this tutorial ? thanks

No.
If it did, it would be written in post #1.

yay!

thanks Rehabman!

finally had the time to sort this out!

after adding in set config.plist/SystemParameters/BacklightLevel=0 then the nvram kept its settings :)

If your DSDT contains a PNLF device under SB.PCI0.IGPU, please remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How can we apply smooth brightness transition with this patch method ? I have Ivy Bridge and HD4000

How can we apply smooth brightness transition with this patch method ? I have Ivy Bridge and HD4000

It is a feature you lose with this solution... Fortunately, it is not a critical feature.

So I finally had the time and possibility to update my system to 10.12.5 after using 10.12.3 for a long time.

I must say, it was very simple to follow :)
Took 5-10 minutes and I had a working control of brightness again!
Thank you as always RehabMan :)

BTW, Night Shift is actually pretty good :p

As it was already noticed, I've also seen the non-smooth transitions between brightness levels when using the brightness keys, but when using the slider in the SysPrefs it seems to work smooth.

Maybe it's possible to make the brightness keys act differently?
I'll try to explain my idea (numbers are random):
Let's say for example, that when we press the brightness-up key the brightness level increases by 18.
What about 3 changes of 6, or 6 changes of 3 (whatever look ok, and again - just random numbers) with a slight delay (some milliseconds I guess) between each one of them?
I am not sure how this mechanism works, and if the OS is the only one to determine which change will be made, but I guess it's a suggestion I wanted to share :)

Hope to get your opinion about this one, RehabMan.

So I finally had the time and possibility to update my system to 10.12.5 after using 10.12.3 for a long time.

I must say, it was very simple to follow :)
Took 5-10 minutes and I had a working control of brightness again!
Thank you as always RehabMan :)

BTW, Night Shift is actually pretty good :p

As it was already noticed, I've also seen the non-smooth transitions between brightness levels when using the brightness keys, but when using the slider in the SysPrefs it seems to work smooth.

Maybe it's possible to make the brightness keys act differently?
I'll try to explain my idea (numbers are random):
Let's say for example, that when we press the brightness-up key the brightness level increases by 18.
What about 3 changes of 6, or 6 changes of 3 (whatever look ok, and again - just random numbers) with a slight delay (some milliseconds I guess) between each one of them?
I am not sure how this mechanism works, and if the OS is the only one to determine which change will be made, but I guess it's a suggestion I wanted to share :)

Hope to get your opinion about this one, RehabMan.

Smooth brightness transitions with keys should be native. But for some reason it doesn't work on hacks, probably due to something not initialized in BIOS, or some service not detected in UEFI that enables it.

Hi,
I did all steps from Post #1 but unfortunately the brightness of the internal display of the EliteBook (with sierra 10.12.5) keeps totally dark with 0% brightness... I think something got wrong. I have attached all files for problem reporting.
@RehabMan
Could you please help me with the problem? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Problem Reporting EliteBook G1 840.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 65
Back