Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Motherboard
HP Elitebook 8460p MacOs Sierra 10.12.1
CPU
i5 2.5ghz 12GB ram
Graphics
HD 3000 1600x900
You load SSDT-PNLF.dsl in MaciASL and Save As (format: ACPI Machine Language Binary) to SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Then you copy the resulting file to ACPI/patched on your EFI partition.
The AppleBacklight patch is simple copy/paste from config_patches.plist to your own config.plist.
There are many ways to install kexts. The guide in post #1 uses Terminal. You should read it.

SSDT-PNLF.dsl doesn't exist, I just have SSDT-PNLF.aml in guide.git/build

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
SSDT-PNLF.dsl doesn't exist, I just have SSDT-PNLF.aml in guide.git/build

SSDT-PNLF.dsl is at ~/Projects/guide.git/hotpatch/SSDT-PNLF.dsl.
It is built automatically (to build/SSDT-PNLF.aml) by 'make'.
Either way you create the AML is fine.

Motherboard
Toshiba Portege Z30-B
CPU
i5-5300U
Graphics
HD5500
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I following the guid, I can see the slide bar and it can be controlled by fun key. But the monitor's brightness does no change. What matter with it??

My laptop:

LAPTOP_CPU=i5-5300U
LAPTOP_CPU_CODENAME=broadwell
LAPTOP_CPU_CHIPSETS=9

Solved! I forgot remove old kext. :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
I still didn't read
CPU
the RULES
Graphics
so ignore me
Hello RehabMan,

Thanks for your patch for the 10.12.4 backlight.

After follow you tutorial to patch, it works.

However, when I turned Max level of brightness, it still seems dimmer than 10.12.3 brightness level.

Could you please advise any solution?

My graphic card is HD 5100 with CPU i7-4558U (UX301LA)

Thanks a lot!

Motherboard
Allsparks 5A
CPU
i7-6700hq
Graphics
Intel HD530 + nVidia GTX 960m
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK. Here it is what i did:

Step1. >> I patch DSDT file with Lenovo ideeapad Y700 and Rename GFX0 to IGPU. After that i copy this new DSDT file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch ;
Step2. >> I open SSDT-PNLF.DSL from Projects/guide.git/hotpatch with MaciASL and save it as SSDT-PNLF.aml ;
Step3. >> I copy this new SSDT-PNFL.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch (DSDT and SSDT-PNFL.aml are in the same location - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch) ;
Step4. >> AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/krenelandkextpaches/kexttopatch (I open my config.plist with xcode and added there) ;
Step5. >> AppleBacklightInjector.kext installed to /L/E. ( I used kextwizzard to install AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E ) ;
Step6. >> Restart computer.
Step7. >> After restart, after logo apple, i see a black screen with (/)... and that's it.

Question: AppleBacklightExpert.kext is a kext that i found in /System/Library/Extensions. Should i delete this?

Files attached down below.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 15 3521
CPU
Intel i3 3rd Gen 3227U
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics HD4000 1024 MB
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
i successfully patched everything...but there is one ultimate issue....as soon as i reboot or maybe shutdown & switch on my laptop the brightness level gets to maximum on boot...how to solve this??

Feartech

Motherboard
Asus N752VX-OpenCore
CPU
i7-6700HQ / HM170
Graphics
HD 530 1920 x 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
i successfully patched everything...but there is one ultimate issue....as soon as i reboot or maybe shutdown & switch on my laptop the brightness level gets to maximum on boot...how to solve this??
seems to be a common issue at the moment. try updating clover to the latest version and try a few reboots

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello RehabMan,

Thanks for your patch for the 10.12.4 backlight.

After follow you tutorial to patch, it works.

However, when I turned Max level of brightness, it still seems dimmer than 10.12.3 brightness level.

Could you please advise any solution?

My graphic card is HD 5100 with CPU i7-4558U (UX301LA)

Thanks a lot!

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

RehabMan

Motherboard
Intel DH67BL
CPU
i7-2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OK. Here it is what i did:

Step1. >> I patch DSDT file with Lenovo ideeapad Y700 and Rename GFX0 to IGPU. After that i copy this new DSDT file in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch ;
Step2. >> I open SSDT-PNLF.DSL from Projects/guide.git/hotpatch with MaciASL and save it as SSDT-PNLF.aml ;
Step3. >> I copy this new SSDT-PNFL.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch (DSDT and SSDT-PNFL.aml are in the same location - EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patch) ;
Step4. >> AppleBacklight patch in config.plist/krenelandkextpaches/kexttopatch (I open my config.plist with xcode and added there) ;
Step5. >> AppleBacklightInjector.kext installed to /L/E. ( I used kextwizzard to install AppleBacklightInjector.kext to /L/E ) ;
Step6. >> Restart computer.
Step7. >> After restart, after logo apple, i see a black screen with (/)... and that's it.

You did not patch ACPI correctly. As per ACPI patching guide, you must apply renames equally across DSDT *and* SSDTs. You have no SSDTs in ACPI/patched, and DropOem=false, so you're getting OEM SSDTs without any GFX0->IGPU rename.

See ACPI patching guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Note: GFX0->IGPU rename can be accomplished much easier with Clover hotpatch (config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches), as it is only a single entry and will rename in all DSDT+SSDTs. The hotpatch guide is linked from the main ACPI patching guide...

Question: AppleBacklightExpert.kext is a kext that i found in /System/Library/Extensions. Should i delete this?

No. (there are no instructions in post #1 to delete that kext!)