Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

It isn't working with my laptop ToT. I can't change the brightness.

Hello. My problem is low range brightness (or fog effect like) in High Sierra 10.13.6 or Sierra 10.12.6. All seems work normal, slider changes brightness level from system prefs, fn keys work too, but display isn't bright like in El Capitan with IntelBacklight.kext.
In El Capitan with IntelBacklight.kext this fog effect was too, I found that in IntelBacklight.kext I have to change PCHL value to 0 instead of -1 to get full brightness range. But in new way PCHL not used
I tried with AppleBacklightFixup and WhateverGreen, same result
Hope we find answer together.
Thanks

Hello,
Same problem here on Samsung NP530U3C. That damn fog. Thanks for your IntelBacklight.kext solution (change PCHLInit=-1 to 0 in plist). But i prefer ACPIBacklight.kext, it works without "fog" effect too , not so bright and more customizable. If you apply "[igpu] Brightness fix (HD3000/HD4000)" patch in MacIASL to your DSDT.aml and then change

Code:
Name(KPCH, Ones)
Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)

to

Code:
Name(KPCH, Zero)

- it will work, as it does same -1 to 0.
But, of course, without controlling. I have no idea, how to make PCHL work with AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF.aml.

UPDATED:
The only solution i found is to extract /S/L/Extensions/AppleBacklight.kext, /S/L/Extensions/AppleBacklightExpert.kext and /S/L/PrivateFrameworks/DisplayServices.framework from "macOS Sierra 10.12.3 Combo Update", and replace original Mojave 10.4.3 with them. Then control of ACPIBacklight.kext and IntelBacklight.kext returns and there is no fog. I know this is not what is this thread about, but... Better a small fish than an empty dish.

Last edited:
can anyone help me get my keyboard to control my brightness? I already have brightens slider in system prefs, but I cannot find a way to map my keyboard to control brightness, it only gives me an option to control the contrast. any help is greatly appreciated

Hello,
Same problem here on Samsung NP530U3C. That damn fog. Thanks for your IntelBacklight.kext solution (change PCHLInit=-1 to 0 in plist). But i prefer ACPIBacklight.kext, it works without "fog" effect too , not so bright and more customizable. If you apply "[igpu] Brightness fix (HD3000/HD4000)" patch in MacIASL to your DSDT.aml and then change

Code:
Name(KPCH, Ones)

to

Code:
Name(KPCH, Zero)

- it will work, as it does same -1 to 0.
But, of course, without controlling. I have no idea, how to make PCHL work with AppleBacklightFixup.kext and SSDT-PNLF.aml.

UPDATED:
The only solution i found is to extract /S/L/Extensions/AppleBacklight.kext, /S/L/Extensions/AppleBacklightExpert.kext and /S/L/PrivateFrameworks/DisplayServices.framework from "macOS Sierra 10.12.3 Combo Update", and replace original Mojave 10.4.3 with them. Then control of ACPIBacklight.kext and IntelBacklight.kext returns and there is no fog. I know this is not what is this thread about, but... Better a small fish than an empty dish.
Thanks for solution with replacement kexts, I didn't know about that. I think Rehabman maybe can help with PCHL problem, but he's gone from forum

Hi Rehabman,

I am not able to get Brightness control to work, the kext is at L/E, other than that the debug files are attached.

Please let me know what's wrong with my actual setup (Skylake 6820HK + Intel HD530 + Nvidia 980m GTX).

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    11.3 MB · Views: 211
Hi Rehabman,

I am not able to get Brightness control to work, the kext is at L/E, other than that the debug files are attached.

Please let me know what's wrong with my actual setup (Skylake 6820HK + Intel HD530 + Nvidia 980m GTX).
Use this tool and upload your problem reporting files:

@Feartech can you help me get keyboard to control brightness on my dell 7573? I have everything working just cannot find option to change brightness with keyboard. I've tried accessibility and keyboard preferences. thanks bro

@Feartech can you help me get keyboard to control brightness on my dell 7573? I have everything working just cannot find option to change brightness with keyboard. I've tried accessibility and keyboard preferences. thanks bro
best to check the laptop guide sections and see how other's have patched their keyboard brightness keys

Hi! Slightly different issue, but still related. Over at Macrumors forums, we are trying to make 2011 iMacs work with upgraded GPUs, especially kepler based nVidia cards: k2000m, 750m, 780m etc... Replacing the card is fine, works out of the box, however we are loosing brightness control in MacOS. The brightness control works under linux, probably bacause it already includes system-specific hacks to make it work(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight)

Wondering if anyone has experience using these modified brightness kext with an iMac? Would it be possible to make it work?

Thanks!

Hi! Slightly different issue, but still related. Over at Macrumors forums, we are trying to make 2011 iMacs work with upgraded GPUs, especially kepler based nVidia cards: k2000m, 750m, 780m etc... Replacing the card is fine, works out of the box, however we are loosing brightness control in MacOS. The brightness control works under linux, probably bacause it already includes system-specific hacks to make it work(https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Backlight)

Wondering if anyone has experience using these modified brightness kext with an iMac? Would it be possible to make it work?

Thanks!
offtopic, this is for laptops with Intel graphics

Back