Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hi Rehabman,

I just stumbled across AppleBacklightFixup in your GitHub repo today while I was updating a few of your other kexts to current versions. I Removed the backlight Clover patch and AppleBacklightInjector kext and installed AppleBacklightFixup in /L/E

Backlight control is working just fine ...

i'm a big fan of Lilu so nice to see you've embraced it as a patching engine ....

Cheers
Jay

Hi Rehabman,

I just stumbled across AppleBacklightFixup in your GitHub repo today while I was updating a few of your other kexts to current versions. I Removed the backlight Clover patch and AppleBacklightInjector kext and installed AppleBacklightFixup in /L/E

Backlight control is working just fine ...

i'm a big fan of Lilu so nice to see you've embraced it as a patching engine ....

Cheers
Jay

Credit where credit due...

I forked AppleBacklightFixup.kext from https://github.com/hieplpvip/AppleBacklightFixup.
I found it with google when I was thinking of writing one for myself (with Lilu, as it seems ideal and a relatively simple Lilu plugin to start with).
You can see the fact that it is forked on my github (as I used github to initiate the fork).

Only a few changes (removed version checking, as I didn't want to be forced to revise it for 10.15 [going to assume it works there too]). And at the time, there was no build, so I put one on bitbucket. Still have a pending 1.0.2 release that only changes the IOProbeScore to be larger than ACPIBacklight.kext and IntelBacklight.kext, to keep from having problems when people install this kext plus those others (reduced support queries, even though what they are dong is wrong).

Hi,
I cannot get my backlight control to work.
It was working fine in High Sierra with the the old AppleBacklightInjector.kext + KextToPatch entry in Clover + the SSDT without any custom EDID injection in Clover. Right out of the box with your patch.
So I guess that my EDID is working fine with your patch.

Now, after I upgraded to Mojave, my Backlight control didn't show up (I my using the new method with AppleBacklightFixup.kext + SSDT) .
I also tried injecting the EDID with Clover /Graphics/EDID Inject=true + ProductID=0x9c7c and enabling AAPL00,override-no-connect in Properties, but this didn't change anything..
Lastly I tried manually injecting my whole EDID into AAPL00,override-no-connect with the script you referenced. But this script now says that it could not read my system EDID and that I might have not changed GFX0 to IGPU, which I did!

Any idea why it's not working? Is there some problem with the rename to IGPU?

Please find my problem reporting files below.

Thank you in advance!

You have your ACPI patches in config.plist/ACPI/Patches. It is the wrong location. Should be at config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

As a result, the renames (such as GFX0->IGPU) are not being done, which means SSDT-PNLF cannot inject things into ACPI scope IGPU (because it does not exist, GFX0 exists instead).

Refer to the guide plists for correct location:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Credit where credit due... I forked AppleBacklightFixup.kext from https://github.com/hieplpvip/AppleBacklightFixup. I found it with google when I was thinking of writing one for myself (with Lilu, as it seems ideal and a relatively simple Lilu plugin to start with).

@RehabMan,

Thanks for putting me straight on its origins ... non the less it's good to see that you've started to use Lilu, it's a powerful and comprehensive patching engine, that allows for good commonality for OSX 3rd party integration ... Lilu seems to be gaining in its adoption as I see new plugin's being released more frequently.

I'm researching it myself as I hope to write a plugin to stop Mojave updates from converting a system that is already installed on a HFS+ volume to APFS. Obviously have to wait until we get the final public release of 10.14.1 to see if updates do indeed convert the file system ... I expect they will.

Cheers
Jay

You have your ACPI patches in config.plist/ACPI/Patches. It is the wrong location. Should be at config.plist/ACPI/DSDT/Patches.

As a result, the renames (such as GFX0->IGPU) are not being done, which means SSDT-PNLF cannot inject things into ACPI scope IGPU (because it does not exist, GFX0 exists instead).

Refer to the guide plists for correct location:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

That was the mistake!
I simply put my patches into the wrong location when copying them from my old config.plist to one of your new ones.

Thank you so much!

Current guide uses AppleBacklightFixup.kext, no KextsToPatch entry for AppleBacklight.
Read post #1 and update to current recommendations.

Also current build of RehabMan Clover allows use of config.plist/EDID/Inject=true, EDID/ProductID. Read post #1 for details.

Thanks, seems to be working again.

hello, i have a strange problem. i successfully installed mac os sierra to asus x555lb i5 5200u laptop. just like here https://www.osx86.net/forums/topic/23970-asus-x555lb-ns51-hacbook-pro/

but obviously brightness doesnt work due to sierra 10.12.6 and fixed audio with applealc(+lilu+"clover layout id 3"+dsdt layout 3 fix)

when i install dsdt without your haswell/broadwell fix, audio stops working. but brightnes works.

what should i do? my usb headset works but ALC233 stops working.

specs same as in the tutorial link, same machine. applied same dsdt and ssdt fixes. even i modified and flashed bios and set cfg lock disabled.
i5 5200u
rtl8111 ethernet, aw-ce123h wifi+bt, alc233 audio

i added necessery files to zip.

thanks.

Last edited:
hello, i have a strange problem. i successfully installed mac os sierra to asus x555lb i5 5200u laptop. just like here https://www.osx86.net/forums/topic/23970-asus-x555lb-ns51-hacbook-pro/

but obviously brightness doesnt work due to sierra 10.12.6 and fixed audio with applealc(+lilu+"clover layout id 3"+dsdt layout 3 fix)

when i install dsdt without your haswell/broadwell fix, audio stops working. but brightnes works.

what should i do? my usb headset works but ALC233 stops working.

specs same as in the tutorial link, same machine. applied same dsdt and ssdt fixes. even i modified and flashed bios and set cfg lock disabled.
i5 5200u
rtl8111 ethernet, aw-ce123h wifi+bt, alc233 audio

i added necessery files to zip.

thanks.

This guide does not use any brightness patch to DSDT (as is very clear in post #1).
It uses only SSDT-PNLF.aml.
Read post #1 again. Carefully.

If you have an issue, you must describe it clearly and attach PR files that represent that scenario, as per post #1/FAQ.

Hello Community!
As one would expect, I have a problem after following the guide. (Thank you, Rehabman, for all the efforts)
I did a fresh install, so have no old patches/kexts or anything. Had the same error actually on high Sierra and its more than annoying.
Problem: After starting my laptop I have the slider and I can move it, however I just get some low level flickering and display turns off (on maximum left position of the slider) After going to sleep and wake the slider works as expected.
It sucks to always go to sleep after boot to get brightness working.

I would be happy to get help and possibly a solution.
Thanx

P.S Laptop Model is Medion e6424

Attachments

• debug_22469.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 125
Hello Community!
As one would expect, I have a problem after following the guide. (Thank you, Rehabman, for all the efforts)
I did a fresh install, so have no old patches/kexts or anything. Had the same error actually on high Sierra and its more than annoying.
Problem: After starting my laptop I have the slider and I can move it, however I just get some low level flickering and display turns off (on maximum left position of the slider) After going to sleep and wake the slider works as expected.
It sucks to always go to sleep after boot to get brightness working.

I would be happy to get help and possibly a solution.
Thanx

P.S Laptop Model is Medion e6424

You failed to install the kext correctly. Easy to see in your kextcache output:
Kext rejected due to improper filesystem permissions: <OSKext 0x7fa7dfc92780 [0x7fff912cb8e0]> { URL = "AppleBacklightFixup.kext/ -- file:///Library/Extensions/", ID = "com.hieplpvip.AppleBacklightFixup" }
AppleBacklightFixup.kext does not authenticate; omitting.

See FAQ for correct kext installation procedures:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, why do you have a KextsToPatch entry for AppleBacklight in your config.plist? You will find no mention of it in post #1.

Note also...
Your kextcache output proves kexts are not installed correctly.
All kexts you need must be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the Clover guide for details:

Must read carefully...

Back