Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Yes I know. But I always used AppleBacklightInjector.text. And the smoothness transition of the illumination at the entrance to sleep and exit from sleep worked up to and including 10.12 inclusive.
But just two days ago I decided to install the High Sierra and this feature disappeared, which is sad.

As I already mentioned, what you are reporting is already well known. No surprise.

It was working in 10.13.3
And disappeared since 10.13.4

Perhaps (I will not bother to verify). Its loss is no big deal.

RehabMan,

I'm running quite a while now MacOS on my 4530s -- it works very good and your guide was very easy to follow.
Every update I follow the suggested path: updating the local git, build, download, install. Flawless!
A big thank you is well deserved, so thank you!

Because my 4530s has the macbookpro8,2 as product name, night shift is not natively supported.
So patched CoreBrightness.framework following Pike R Alpha's steps, patching just one byte (09 to 08).
It worked up until now. After the last update to 10.13.5 no more Night Shift.
The tab is there in the display preference but it doesn't work.

Do you think it's something that can be fixed with your AppleBacklightInjector.kext?
Or the DSDT/SSDT of the probook?

Thanks,
Ed

This guide does not apply to your 4530s.
This fix is already included as part of the ProBook guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...book-zbook-using-clover-uefi-hotpatch.232948/

As far as nightshift for unsupported laptops... off-topic.

Hey two quick questions:

1. Will this work with El Capitan?
2. Is it possible to reverse the PNLF patch without starting from a fresh DSDT dump?

Thank you!

Hey two quick questions:

1. Will this work with El Capitan?
2. Is it possible to reverse the PNLF patch without starting from a fresh DSDT dump?

Thank you!

It works with El Capitan (and earlier versions of OS X too).
But you could also use IntelBacklight.kext with 10.11.x and earlier (link is in post #1).

Yes, it is possible to reverse the PNLF patch.
But if you don't understand how, you should just re-extract, re-patch.

Hi, I've tried many times to install appbacklightinjector.kext but it still did not work. I could not find the brightness slider in the setting. This is my clover file, could you please tell me what I need to do next in details?

Thank you!

Attachments

• Report.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 127
Hi, I've tried many times to install appbacklightinjector.kext but it still did not work. I could not find the brightness slider in the setting. This is my clover file, could you please tell me what I need to do next in details?

Thank you!

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Please not your ACPI patching is wrong.
Refer to the guide for starter plist:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Then refer to the ACPI patching guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Rehabman After following the guide I was able to get the slider appearing in System Display preference but the brightness is not changing but stays the same. I'm on HD4400 Haswell on 10.13.5.

Please help

Hi;
Brightness slider works fine for me, but is there any way to further reduce the min brightness? (The lowest I can get now is 0x1c4)
When I used clover PNLF patch, it read my max brightness from current bios brightness and the brightness could be lowered than now.
And something else, I lose slider when I use F%uTxxxx patch.

Thanks a lot @RehabMan, this fix works perfectly on my Acer Switch Alpha 12 ! Even the brightness keys works.

Hello Community,

I have my laptop hackintosh running currently 10.13.5 High Sierra.
Everything seems to work, but my brightness (I followed rehabmans guide 2 times) only works after going to sleep and waking up, afterwards I can change it and it works. Until this ritual I can just move the slider with only one function- turn my display on and off. One thing I noticed is when I check the brightness value in NVRam before sleep, it looks like this: %xx%xx (moving the slider the x-es change, but the first % is always there) and after sleep, when it's working it looks like this xx%xx.

Would be happy if someone would help me to resolve this problem

Back