Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Hello,
I'm having an issue with the brightness patch.
I followed the guide carefully (a few times actually) with no luck. Whatever I do, I can't seem to get the brightness slider to show up in display preferences. This is the last piece of the puzzle I need to make my Hackintosh fully work, and I can't seem to solve it.
I compiled the report files with black.dragon74's script.
I would appreciate your help and thank you in advance!

Your ACPI configuration is wrong.
See guide, "Recommended configurations":
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

With single GPU (as per your profile), no need to patch any SSDTs.

Your ACPI configuration is wrong.
See guide, "Recommended configurations":
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

With single GPU (as per your profile), no need to patch any SSDTs.
Thanks for letting me know. I thought I would mention that I do have a nVidia dGPU but I didn't add into my profile because I thought it's not important as it's disabled (I did now just in case if it is).

Either way, I did check out the guide and I followed the "partial hotpatch" section. I now only have a DSDT with my battery patch and renamed GFX0 to IGPU patch, one SSDT for power management, and the SSDT-PNLF for the backlight.
I also redid the backlight guide and still have zero luck with brightness.
I went through the kernel log and I didn't find any references to AppleBacklightInjector. It seems like it's not even being loaded. I double checked to make sure that I installed it to /L/E and rebuilt the kext cache.

Sorry if I sound like a noob at hackintoshing. I'm fairly new to ACPI patching.

Attachments

• debug_14745.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 88
Thanks for letting me know. I thought I would mention that I do have a nVidia dGPU but I didn't add into my profile because I thought it's not important as it's disabled (I did now just in case if it is).

Either way, I did check out the guide and I followed the "partial hotpatch" section. I now only have a DSDT with my battery patch and renamed GFX0 to IGPU patch, one SSDT for power management, and the SSDT-PNLF for the backlight.
I went through the kernel log and I didn't find any references to AppleBacklightInjector. It seems like it's not even being loaded. I double checked to make sure that I installed it to /L/E and rebuilt the kext cache.

all kexts you need should be installed to system (including FakeSMC)

only essential kexts belong in clover/kexts/other

read up on post 2 Installing Kexts:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...er-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/#post-917904

MacBookAir5,2 not appropriate for the hardware in your profile.
You should be using MacBookAir6,2 or MacBookPro11,1.

It seems also you might have deleted AppleBacklight.kext. Run the macOS installer to refresh all kexts.

Also, as mentioned by @feartech, your kexts are not installed correctly.

MacBookAir5,2 not appropriate for the hardware in your profile.
You should be using MacBookAir6,2 or MacBookPro11,1.

It seems also you might have deleted AppleBacklight.kext. Run the macOS installer to refresh all kexts.

Also, as mentioned by @feartech, your kexts are not installed correctly.
I redid my kext installation into System and I got AppleBacklight.kext back.
I tried out both MacBookPro11,1 and MacBookAir6,2 and still no brightness slider.
I think it's worth mentioning I didn't do a clean install, instead I just installed AppleBacklight.kext back into S/L/E cause I did back it up before I originally (for some reason) deleted it.

Attachments

• debug_24548.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 80
I redid my kext installation into System and I got AppleBacklight.kext back.
I tried out both MacBookPro11,1 and MacBookAir6,2 and still no brightness slider.
I think it's worth mentioning I didn't do a clean install, instead I just installed AppleBacklight.kext back into S/L/E cause I did back it up before I originally (for some reason) deleted it.

Make sure you rebuild cache and reboot (as per post #1).
And read post #1 regarding EDID...

Any change requires new problem reporting files.
None attached.

Ok, I found that my problem was because I deleted applebacklight.kext. I can now change my brightness.

I am now having a problem with my screen being blank (with my backlight lit) whenever I wake my laptop or open my laptop after closing it. I thought that this was fixed with backlight control. Could you take a look at my report files? Thanks!

Attachments

• debug_30416.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 80
Back