Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks very much for the guide! Thanks to this, I've been able to get my first hackintosh working with a very similar build.
GA Z170X-UD5
Intel 6700K (skylake)
2x16GM RAM
(no discrete graphics now but I plan to buy an NVIDIA card soon)

problems I encountered:
RAM being recognized as 8GB instead of 16GB (needed to update BIOS and Clover Configurator:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/el-capitan-on-ga-z170x-ud5-success.193293/#post-1263859)

HDMI audio not working (needed to run this script and remove an item from my config.plist: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/audio-hdmi-audio-applehda-guide.143760/)

Problem I still have:
somewhere after a restart in the previous step, my system no longer provided my monitor with full resolution HDMI output - previously I was seeing the correct 2560x1440 resolution, but now I only get 1080p. Curiously, before my system did not recognize my monitor model correctly, but now it does (Asus PB277Q).

Anyone have advice on this? Thanks in advance!

Is it possible there's an unsupported refresh rate involved? Sometimes HDMI ports can only handle 1440px height (and 2k or higher) at 30Hz while 1080p is much more likely to be supported @60Hz.

Hi All! I've put together a very similar build. Had some troubles but am now running Nvidia 970 video and ALC1150 audio. Thunderbolt on the Mac side is a problem though Windows is fine powering a Apple Thunderbolt display through a Startech adapter via USB-C (after all needed upgrades). I'm writing this because it can help any poor soul who finds that they are using this setup and Eclipse (dev environment suite and variations) and Eclipse keeps crashing on start up. In that case, here is what to do (until Apple hurries up with TB3 drivers). Simply unload the PCI kext or full family kext:

Code:
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltPCIAdapters.kext
or
sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/IOThunderboltFamily.kext
and to reload later
Code:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/AppleThunderboltPCIAdapters.kext
or
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOThunderboltFamily.kext

Eclipse should now pass its startup checks. This is because Eclipse does a system check on startup that crashes when Apple can't produce appropriate info for Thunderbolt hardware. Since you won't be using the on-board TB hardware on the Mac side for a bit you can just turn off this functionality.

The Thunderbolt Display gave me an idea to try: using the same Startech TB3 to TB1/2 adaptor, I tried running my 27" iMac in target display mode. No success. I suspect some form of handshake needs to take place, but isn't.

I got a Starch USB3 to HDMI adaptor to power second monitor, and I can report that it works as intended on the mac side (I haven't tried the PC side yet) Though you DO need to download a driver first. It's my holdover until the pascal situation gets sorted out.

I got a Starch USB3 to HDMI adaptor to power second monitor, and I can report that it works as intended on the mac side (I haven't tried the PC side yet) Though you DO need to download a driver first. It's my holdover until the pascal situation gets sorted out.

Thanks so much for the info and effort Canyondust! (ordering on amazon now lol)
:clap:

P.S. EDIT: Curious if I should try the USB-C to HDMI adapter instead of the USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter though.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info and effort Canyondust! (ordering on amazon now lol)
:clap:

P.S. EDIT: Curious if I should try the USB-C to HDMI adapter instead of the USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter though.

I was thinking of trying the apple one, but it gets such terrible reviews I decided not to bother... I potentially have access to one to try and see if it works though :) I'll let you know how it goes...

I've an issue with power. My hac is shuting down properly on windows, no power on external disk and led is switched off.
On OSX I've a power on usb and led is still switched on. Is there any solution for that?

*EDIT 8/14/16* Thunderbolt now working after cold boot: Culprit Bad StarTech Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt Adapter?

After trying just about everything I could think of, I thought I'd try replacing the StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt adapter. It seems like the adapter was the culprit. I can now see my Universal Audio Apollo and Satellite Quad after a cold boot without booting to Windows or changing any BIOS settings (just leaving BIOS Thunderbolt Security set to "Legacy") :mrgreen:

This is probably a one-off issue an apologies for all the spam. I in no means have enough data to support that this device is "flaky" or otherwise problematic. Perhaps it was just a bad unit (quasi-worked). I have realize moreso that the Thunderbolt Adapter is a critical part of my new rig though, and will probably keep a (good) working spare on hand.

8/11/16
Thanks for all the great information in this thread! I was able to get my build up and running on a GA-170X-UD5 TH. However, I have an issue with getting my Thunderbolt devices to connect after a cold boot.

I did the Windows 10 method of loading the Thunderbolt drivers, installing the Thunderbolt firmware update, setting the Thunderbolt BIOS security setting to "one time key", approving the devices. I set the Thunderbolt security BIOS setting back to "Legacy", boot into OS X El Capitan and I can use my Universal Audio Apollo Thunderbolt audio interface (TB2) connected with a Startech TB3 to TB1/2 adapter.

However, after a shutdown and cold boot, the only way I have found to get my Thunderbolt device to be available in OS X is to repeat the process listed above: boot to Windows, change thunderbolt BIOS settings to one time key, remove and re-approve Thunderbolt devices, change Thunderbolt security back to Legacy and boot OS X. o_O
*removing and re-approving the device in Windows is the key to making it work for me*

Going though all the threads on this topic on tonymacx86, it seems that others are not having to repeat the "Thunderbolt Windows" process on every cold boot as I am.

Any ideas? I did try and re-flash the Thunderbolt Firmware update one more time in Windows just in case, but since it's already loaded it just kind of quits the installer and wants to shutdown.

I've also tried a separate Thunderbolt device (Universal Audio Satellite Quad); it behaves the same way whether is chained to the Apollo device or connected by itself.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I have figured out the reason behind the freeze that occurs (spinning beachball) after sleep when I right click in finder. After investigating everything I have found that it is my sata dvd drive that is causing the problem and when I have it disconnected the problem is gone for good!
However with it installed the freeze happens every time after I go into sleep. Also I have noticed that the eject key (F12) works and ejects the dvd drive on a fresh boot up, however after sleep the key just shows the eject message on OS X and nothing happens, does anyone have any thoughts on what to do?

Thankyou guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back