Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, after resuming my Hackintosh from sleep one morning I noticed that the grid in finder is gone! Everything is running flawlessly and haven't had any problems the past week as I have been putting mac to sleep every night till yesterday :/ I have tried on another user account and the same story.
The grid is completely gone no matter which folder or layout I use, however you can see remnants of it around when I right click
Does anyone know what is going on? Or how to fix it

Thanks a ton, Rob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 11.22.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 11.22.55 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 308
Hi guys, after resuming my Hackintosh from sleep one morning I noticed that the grid in finder is gone! Everything is running flawlessly and haven't had any problems the past week as I have been putting mac to sleep every night till yesterday :/ I have tried on another user account and the same story.
The grid is completely gone no matter which folder or layout I use, however you can see remnants of it around when I right click
Does anyone know what is going on? Or how to fix it

Thanks a ton, Rob
That doesn't look like a Finder window. What OS version are you using? What is wrong with the screenshot besides the fact that only half your screen is shown?

That doesn't look like a Finder window. What OS version are you using? What is wrong with the screenshot besides the fact that only half your screen is shown?
Agreed. That doesn't look like a usual tabbed El Cap finder window, It looks like a Firefox or Chrome dialog box...

It does look mostly like a Finder window. However, the top part that is tabbed looks more like a browser. Perhaps some kind of graphics glitch is somehow blending the two.

I've just implemented this IOKit patch after learning about it from this 9to5Mac 4k @ 60hz guide and it has enabled 4k @ 60hz over the HDMI 2.0 port (using the Intel HD 530 integrated graphics) on my LG 27UD68-W monitor (without any further software, ie; SwitchResX). I'm very pleased!

I uninstalled SwitchResX first as I had been trying to set 60hz manually with no success.

After manually backing up IOKit.framework (the patch backs it up but I wanted my own copy), setting my monitor to 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color' mode (which is the only way to get 60hz @ 4k with HDMI on this monitor), and applying the patch, I restarted, manually selected the resolution in Displays (System Preferences), and voila! Worked instantly. I was getting terrible rolling distortion and periodic black screens when I had 'Deep Color' mode on before the patch (and it only worked at 30hz anyway), but this is running totally smooth so far! (touch wood)

8PR1ueU.png

YMMV.

Edit: Forgot to mention the specific point where I applied the patch, although it was probably obvious

Works as advertised! (woot woot!) I had to disable SIP via Clover Configurator, but other than that the process was as advertised. So silky smooth and 4k!

I was using Totalfinder hence the tabs, but there never was an issue with it before, I also tried uninstalling it and nothing.
It just happened all of a sudden after one time after I woke up from sleep which I can't comprehend. Im using 10.11.5, there aren't any problems apart from it not having a grid however it is just a visual annoyance
Any suggestions on what I should do? If it is a graphical glitch wouldn't it be reverted upon uninstallation?

Thanks guys, Rob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 11.06.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-08 at 11.06.19 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 167
I was using Totalfinder hence the tabs, but there never was an issue with it before, I also tried uninstalling it and nothing.
It just happened all of a sudden after one time after I woke up from sleep which I can't comprehend. Im using 10.11.5, there aren't any problems apart from it not having a grid however it is just a visual annoyance
Any suggestions on what I should do? If it is a graphical glitch wouldn't it be reverted upon uninstallation?
That's a nicer screen shot. But you still haven't explained what's wrong with it.

If you're talking about Icon grid spacing then:
Type Command-J to see view options. Change the view to icon view. That causes the Grid Spacing option to appear. Changing that changes the layout of the icons. You can drag icons to place them anywhere. If you drag while holding the command key, then it will align the placement of the icon with the grid.

Hi,
I am new at this, planning to build my first hackintosh. I was wondering if it would be OK to use the non-TH (no thunderbolt 3) version of this board. Newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83UN2370

It is rev 1.0, which is probably a good thing right? Or would that mean some of the kexts and what not wouldn't work properly? Basically I only want that slot for the displayport, so I don't really see why I should get the thunderbolt version. It seems like the displayport version might be easier to get running.

Thanks for your help!

Hi,
I am new at this, planning to build my first hackintosh. I was wondering if it would be OK to use the non-TH (no thunderbolt 3) version of this board. Newegg link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1N83UN2370
It is rev 1.0, which is probably a good thing right? Or would that mean some of the kexts and what not wouldn't work properly? Basically I only want that slot for the displayport, so I don't really see why I should get the thunderbolt version. It seems like the displayport version might be easier to get running.
Revision doesn't matter. They're all 1.0 anyway so far, so I don't see how you conclude that kexts would be affected.

The Thunderbolt ports have DisplayPort. Just get a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. You could also have some Thunderbolt devices, and put a DisplayPort device at the end of the Thunderbolt chain.

Extra hardware doesn't make it harder to get running. It just means more stuff to check but only if you want to actually use it, otherwise you can leave it alone.

You should actually compare the specs to see what the real differences are and decide what matters to you:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=5479,5480

- The UD5-TH says it can use 3800 MHz DDR4, but maybe they haven't gotten around to testing that on the UD5 (3466 MHz). Anyway, instead of choosing a high MHz, you might choose a high MHz/$ ratio, or you might choose a high MHz/CAS Latency ratio, or a combination (MHz/CAS)/$ or a multi level choice, first highest MHz/CAS, then MHz among the highest x number of those or the other way around.

- For internal graphics, the UD5-TH has 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports and a HDMI 2.0 port all capable of 4K@60Hz. The UD5 has only 1 DisplayPort (4K@60Hz) and two other less capable outputs (DVD-D and HDMI 1.4 which allow 4K@30Hz).
There are adapters for USB-C and DisplayPort to HDMI-2.0. The USB-C ports have more options since they allow you to use older DisplayPort and newer USB-C adapters.
But maybe you won't use internal graphics, since they are kind of flakey in Mac OS X so far (only one connector might work, and sleep/wake might not work).

- UD5-TH has one Gigabit Ethernet. The UD5 has two, but who needs two ethernet ports?

- UD5-TH has only 3 PCIe x1 slots. UD5 has 4. But will you ever have 4 PCIe x1 devices? I use one for a FireWire card.

- UD5-TH has only 1 M.2 slot. UD5 has 2. Maybe one 512 GB NVMe SSD is enough storage for you? There's plenty of SATA ports for regular SSDs. There are also 1 TB NVMe SSD's. The higher capacity also makes them faster, approaching the limit of the chipset bandwidth to the CPU.
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7762/samsung-sm961-1tb-2-nvme-pcie-ssd-review/index.html

- UD5-TH has 2 fewer SATA ports. UD5 has an ASMedia controller for 2 additional ports. But I think you don't need that many SATA ports. There should be enough ports for a couple 6TB drives.

- UD5-TH has Thunderbolt 3 x 2. UD5 has a Thunderbolt add in card connector. You can add Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 devices (docks and drives and displays).

- USB port layout differs between UD5-TH and UD5. That number doesn't matter since there's always more ports than you need. They will require different USB fixes though.

- UD5-TH has 4 fan headers. UD5 has 3. But who needs more than 3?

- UD5-TH doesn't have an ECO or OC button, but who uses those?

- The prices are different. But not so much that it should matter.

Revision doesn't matter. They're all 1.0 anyway so far, so I don't see how you conclude that kexts would be affected.

Thanks for helping me clear this up and hooking me up with all of this other information. I'm probably going to go for the UD5 at this point because I don't really see myself using thunderbolt any time soon, and I want the extra M.2 slot.

- The UD5-TH says it can use 3800 MHz DDR4, but maybe they haven't gotten around to testing that on the UD5 (3466 MHz). Anyway, instead of choosing a high MHz, you might choose a high MHz/$ ratio, or you might choose a high MHz/CAS Latency ratio, or a combination $/(MHz/CAS).

I'm honestly not too worried about this, I'm just trying to build something that can power a 4k display, dual boot, run games with good fps and decent graphics, and do some programming / photo editing on. It also seems pretty likely that they are pretty similar boards.

I was also wondering, you mentioned NVMe, do you think I would see a noticeable performance increase with that? They cost about 90% more than the SATA III ones I'm looking at for the same space:

SAMSUNG 850 EVO M.2 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal SSD Single Unit Version MZ-N5E250BW, one for windows and one for osx.

I was also going to get this graphics card, based on some speculation that they go well with this motherboard in terms of compatibility, and that its on sale:

EVGA GeForce GTX 960 02G-P4-2966-KR 2GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+, Whisper Silent Cooling Graphics Card

And one of these processors: Intel Core i5-6500 (no overclocking saves about 50 bucks, or 1/5th the cost of the i5-6500k).

So would you think NVMe would be a reasonable upgrade with that setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back