Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
These Startech adapters are not in stock yet in my part of the world, and about $130 to pre-order... I'll wait.

@jerivalu:
Thanks for sharing your TB findings. Hmm. So it works, with restrictions. As it always has. I don't mind not having hot swap(though it would certainly be nice) for TB devices, but stability once connected is paramount.
I might get one of these Startech adapters myself(at least these seem to work) for further testing. I'm not planning to install Windows though, so I wonder if the TB firmware update procedure in Win is still mandatory.

Anyone got TB working without Windows?

I don't know for sure if there are restrictions, just can share my experience. The drive still works as intended today after many restarts/shutdowns. Someone without windows installed would have to test.

Also b+h does ship worldwide, you should check if they can ship to you since it is only 65 bucks there.

Also b+h does ship worldwide, you should check if they can ship to you since it is only 65 bucks there.[/QUOTE]

I just checked. It's an unaffordable $160 with shipping and taxes. With the risk that I will also need to get Windows and do an extra install just to 'wake' the TB ports.

Thanks for the info, BTW. Much appreciated.

Also b+h does ship worldwide, you should check if they can ship to you since it is only 65 bucks there.

I just checked. It's an unaffordable $160 with shipping and taxes. With the risk that I will also need to get Windows and do an extra install just to 'wake' the TB ports.

Thanks for the info, BTW. Much appreciated.

I think this "wake" might be different because what I gathered (but unsure) is before people had to load up windows every time they wanted to activate their TB port. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me? In my case I can go from a cold boot directly to mac and the thunderbolt port works.

I think this "wake" might be different because what I gathered (but unsure) is before people had to load up windows every time they wanted to activate their TB port. Maybe someone can chime in and tell me? In my case I can go from a cold boot directly to mac and the thunderbolt port works.

With TH1, no windows driver installation necessary. With TH2, one time windows driver installation necessary. I'd guess from the comments here TH3 will require one time driver install as well.

More here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/gigabyte-ga-z87x-ud7-th-thunderbolt-2-0-testing.120690/
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...k-ga-z77x-up5-th-gtx-650-ti-el-capitan.73112/

Hey guys, a question: When your system is fully booted up, what does the debug code on the motherboard read?

Does it even matter? Mine says '51', and I was slightly worried because the manual says memory initialisation error or something. Everything's running fine though.

Thunderbolt Guide:

I finally got my hands on a portable thunderbolt 1 gdrive for some testing with my startech TB3 adapter (B+H is the cheapest place I could find it, 40 bucks less than amazon/others).

First off let me say that thunderbolt does appear to work, but I've had some issues. Is thunderbolt ready for a production environment with a hackintosh... depends how risky you are feeling.

So now let's get a little bit of background info out of the way.
  1. I do have windows installed and did install the windows firmware update for thunderbolt for my motherboard (I don't know if this effects the outcome or not so I wanted to include it)
  2. The drive does appear in OSX 10.11 from a fresh boot, without booting into windows first (sometimes I have to restart once and then the drive appears)
  3. The drive is not hot swappable and you must plug the drive in pre boot or restart to make it show up
  4. In BIOS you must set Thunderbolt Security Level to LEGACY
  5. I did try both thunderbolt ports on the motherboard- both seem to work
  6. There are lots of little strange bugs that have gone on while I was testing the drive
Now let's talk about the strange bugs I've ran into
  • The drive sometimes wouldn't respond while formating/renaming and would crash the computer (I did this test multiple times)
  • When I first plugged the drive in, any file over 1.5gb would crash the computer if I tried to transfer it to the drive. I then plugged the drive into my macbook pro and did some transfer tests to see if the drive was bad (which it wasn't). After that, I plugged the drive back into my hackintosh and restarted. Magically the drive could transfer any file fine (and still works after multiple reboots/shut downs).

Here are some pics:
View attachment 198928
Drive shows up in storage

View attachment 198929
System report shows nothing in thunderbolt

View attachment 198930
Disk Speed test for thunderbolt gdrive (I get the same speeds on my macbook pro)

View attachment 198941
Drive+ adapter

TNX flor the info!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back