Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, might also be NVMe related. Other people with NVMe SSD's complain about this problem too. Not sure.

Yes, this is a possibility. But, as the shutdown/restart error is a plague that's following me since last 7 months and all the versions of El Cap, I've also tried (with 11.4) to mirror my NVMe boot disc to a brand new SSD and nothing changed. The error was still there.

I'm not saying I'm happy of the generic NVMe driver because as others pointed out already it's never been updated and it's one of the worst implementation of NVMe protocol. But presently it's the only one.

I've also tried to find the right PCI riser card for Apple iMac NVMe discs, as I thought it could be a (not cheap!) way to solve the problem, but at the moment I haven't found the right card yet.

One of my suspects on what causes the shutdown/restart error is towards the specs of some motherboards: you, I and many others among those who has experienced this error, have in common the fact we choose motherboards that have Intel USB 3.1 / TH 3 chip on them . Which are not currently supported, while who chooses motherboards with plain (Asmedia) USB 3.1 controller, more often do not have this error. It's only a speculation, though.

Yes, this is a possibility. But, as the shutdown/restart error is a plague that's following me since last 7 months and all the versions of El Cap, I've also tried (with 11.4) to mirror my NVMe boot disc to a brand new SSD and nothing changed. The error was still there.

You removed the NVMe disk from your system while using a normal SSD?

One of my suspects on what causes the shutdown/restart error is towards the specs of some motherboards: you, I and many others among those who has experienced this error, have in common the fact we choose motherboards that have Intel USB 3.1 / TH 3 chip on them . Which are not currently supported, while who chooses motherboards with plain (Asmedia) USB 3.1 controller, more often do not have this error. It's only a speculation, though.

I think I saw someone with a Z170x-UD5-TH board and I think a NVIDIA 970 who didn't have sleep/shutdown problems... Not 100% sure though.

Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed for TB3 equipped Macs in the near future. They may solve the shutdown problem as a side-effect.

I would also like to know if a TB3 to TB1-2 adapter works with an Alpine Ridge controller at this point in time, or even a USB3.1 device for that matter.

I had a tough time with this, and I eventually figured out what I was doing wrong.

#1 - Start over. Reformat the window drive in OSX using Jerivalus' instructions. Shutdown and physically disconnect the other drive. In your "BIOS Features" make SURE you've set "Windows 8/10 Features" to "Windows 8/10" and NOT "Other OS". I did NOT use the "WHQL" option or enable "CSM Support". Save settings and reboot. Make sure your Windows 10 USB or DVD is loaded.

#2 - When setting up windows, delete the 200MB partition, and the one you created in OSX. Click "New", choose the full size, and Windows will automatically create several partitions - just go with it. Next->Next->Next finish. Once you are in Windows run "msinfo32.exe" and make sure that BIOS Mode doesn't say Legacy.

Did you do all that just so it would install a UEFI version of Windows 10? The only step in your processing I haven't done (I've installed windows 10 three times already) is set my bios to Windows 8/10. I unplugged all my other drives and logged into Windows 10 and did an msinfo32. BIOS mode = UEFI

You removed the NVMe disk from your system while using a normal SSD?

Yes, I removed the NVMe disk and I made a fresh install of 11.4 on a Samsung 850 Evo SSD . Just some minutes after the completion of installation and some (correct) restarts, the system started to have the shutdown/restart error. At the time I didn't even make a TM of my user profile so ...

Hi, I had the exact same message initially but it was because i was trying to install an El Capitan installer from September which did not support this hardware.. Are you 100% certain that you delete and redownloaded El Capitan from the app store today?

This was my issue, thanks! I reinstalled El Capitan and created a fresh unibeast USB.

Side notes: My build was only recognizing half the memory - had to add them manually using Clover Configurator. Also sleep does not work as many have mentioned.

My build was only recognizing half the memory - had to add them manually using Clover Configurator. Also sleep does not work as many have mentioned.

How did you do this?

Jerivalu, is there a particular reason you chose iMac 17,1 for your system definition -- as opposed to, say, MacPro 3,1?

How did you do this?

In Clover Configurator, go to the SMBIOS screen and there should be a section to add the details for your memory. See the screenshot I attached. After I did this, the "About this Mac" and activity monitor both showed the correct amount of memory (32GB)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 11.38.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-21 at 11.38.34 AM.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 248
Jerivalu, is there a particular reason you chose iMac 17,1 for your system definition -- as opposed to, say, MacPro 3,1?

Also interested in this - I changed mine to MacPro 3,1 for no particular reason haha

Also interested in this - I changed mine to MacPro 3,1 for no particular reason haha

I can't seem to get my GT 740 graphics card working under iMac 17,1. It does work under MacPro 3,1 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back