Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jerivalu, i followed your guide and it works well... believe it or not by biggest problem was that i was trying to boot an installer of El Cap dating back from last September when no z170 platform was release/supported. Anyways.. it's good now, except for one little annoyance.

I get a little static sound every few seconds in my speakers.
I don't notice anything when listening to music but i do when nothing is playing.
I was wondering if you had anything similar?

When i used multibeast to inject the kext in my system, i checked both of these:
  • Drivers > Audio > Realtek > 100 series audio
  • Drivers > Audio > Realtek > ALC1150
I checked, the 100 series audio first, then checked the ALC1150. When i did that, the 100 series audio unchecked automatically, then i checked it again and both were checked. I then proceeded with the rest of the multibeast procedure.

Was this the correct thing to do ?

Big thanks for taking the time to document this guide btw. You saved me many hours for sure.

Hi Jerivalu, i followed your guide and it works well... believe it or not by biggest problem was that i was trying to boot an installer of El Cap dating back from last September when no z170 platform was release/supported. Anyways.. it's good now, except for one little annoyance.

I get a little static sound every few seconds in my speakers.
I don't notice anything when listening to music but i do when nothing is playing.
I was wondering if you had anything similar?

When i used multibeast to inject the kext in my system, i checked both of these:
  • Drivers > Audio > Realtek > 100 series audio
  • Drivers > Audio > Realtek > ALC1150
I checked, the 100 series audio first, then checked the ALC1150. When i did that, the 100 series audio unchecked automatically, then i checked it again and both were checked. I then proceeded with the rest of the multibeast procedure.

Was this the correct thing to do ?

Big thanks for taking the time to document this guide btw. You saved me many hours for sure.

I have't experienced the static sound every few seconds and here is my list of things I would test if I were you:
Have you tried a different set of speakers ie- Does it happen on headphones when plugged into your rear audio port? Are your speakers powered (they have to be pugged in the wall) and if so, have you tried turning down the volume of the speakers and the system volume up?

I get a quick static sound of the speakers turning on when I boot into OSX, that's about it.

As for the audio drivers unchecking on multibeast, I thought that was a bug that was fixed in the newest version of multibeast. As long as your audio is working you should be good :)

Thanks for this guide.
Couldn't get the system to boot, overlooked the super IO settings in the BIOS.

Now I have my first build running, so happy.

Hi,

i have almost the same build.

MB: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (F5) CPU: i7-6700K @4.7 GHz RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666MHz Kingston Furry Quad-Kit GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4095 MB
HDD: Samsung SM951 512GB M.2 - MZHPV512HDG (10.11.4 - Works OOB)
LAN: Sonnet Technologies GE1000LAB-E Presto Gigabit Ethernet Pro PCIe (10.11.4 - Works OOB)
BT-WIFI: BCM94360CD with PCIe Adapter (10.11.4 - Works OOB)
USB: Inateck PCIe USB 3.0 5-Port - B00FPIMJEW (10.11.4 - Works OOB)

Sleep-Wake and Shutdown works!

My build:
MB: GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (F5) CPU: i7-6700K @4.0 GHz RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (8GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5770 HDD: SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series

10.11.4 running but Sleep-Wake not. After 2 seconds the mainboard partially wakes up but does not work properly. I have to power reset. How do you solve the Sleep-Wake issue?

Excellent Guide! I have a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 6, i7 6700k, and EVGA 4G 960 GTX. OSX boots and I have nVidia acceleration (I used a few 3d Demos to verify...I definitely have some kind of acceleration going on). I was able to load Windows following your steps...but I can't boot Windows 10 from Clover, I have to boot from the BIOS using F12. If I boot Win10 directly from Clover I get the famous flashing white cursor. I have installed NTFS.efi into EFI>CLOVER>drivers64UEFI and I have verified that it's there by going into the Clover shell and running "drivers" - I even forced it to "load" and then exited the shell, and tried to load Win10 - blinking cursor again.

When I installed Windows it showed me two partitions - a 200MB partition and a 240-something GB partition - I erased the 240GB one and installed Windows. I assumed the 200MB partition was related to the GUID setup, but I wasn't sure. Can you help with this? Also - I haven't really "patched" my config.plist very much - is this really necessary? I also didn't put my memory config into CloverConfigurator because the largest option was 8GB and I have 2 x 16GB sticks - does this matter? Another guide said that this must be setup properly for Clover to use dual channel.

Last edited:
Great Guide! Used it for my Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard (bios F5), worked like charm!

What works
  • USB3- front, rear, adapters, etc
  • overclocking/power management with SSDT
  • ram full speed
  • Bluray burner
  • Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 GV-N960G1 GAMING-4GD using Nvidia Web Drivers (used nvda_drv=1 in Clover)
  • networking
  • TP-LINK Archer T8E AC1750 Wireless
  • sound- front, rear (Had to remove Realtek software from Win 10 and use MS drivers)
  • Appstore
  • Itunes
  • facetime
  • Sleep (unplugging water-cooling USB, had to reset Printing System to remove
    IODisplayWrangler sleep preventer)
  • No Shutdown Issues (used FixShutdown (Old way) in Clover)
What doesn't work
  • Thunderbolt (Have none to test with)
Thanks for the guide jerivalu!!!!

• Sleep (unplugging water-cooling USB, had to reset Printing System to remove
    IODisplayWrangler sleep preventer)
  • No Shutdown Issues (used FixShutdown (Old way) in Clover)
Hm. AMD/Intel HD530 may be interfering with sleep and proper shutdown in my case. I don't care much about sleep, but proper shutdown would be nice. I hope the prices of Nvidia 970's will come down.

How much different is this board from the GA-Z170X-UD5 and would the procedure be the same? It looks like the "TH" version just adds Thunderbolt and takes away a DVI port. The Buyer's Guide lists the GA-Z170X-UD5 more often than the TH version, but more people seem to be using the TH version. Are people getting that version so they can use Thunderbolt? Or some other reason?

Is anyone able to use both external graphics cards and HD 530 enable on the Z170X-UD5 TH with 17,1 smbios? I'm trying to get airplay work with my build but no luck, the screen always turn to sleep mode after boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back