Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much different is this board from the GA-Z170X-UD5 and would the procedure be the same? It looks like the "TH" version just adds Thunderbolt and takes away a DVI port. The Buyer's Guide lists the GA-Z170X-UD5 more often than the TH version, but more people seem to be using the TH version. Are people getting that version so they can use Thunderbolt? Or some other reason?

Personally I plan on getting Thunderbolt external drives in the near future, that's why I chose it over the GA-Z170X-UD5. You can go to Gigabyte's site and do a comparison on the 2 MB's, there are a few difference's, IMHO the guide should work on the GA-Z170X-UD5.

Great Guide! Used it for my Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard (bios F5), worked like charm!

What works
  • overclocking/power management with SSDT
  • ram full speed
  • dual boot to win 10
  • Sleep (unplugging water-cooling USB, had to reset Printing System to remove
    IODisplayWrangler sleep preventer)
  • No Shutdown Issues (used FixShutdown (Old way) in Clover)

I have the i7-6700k AML loaded - is that the only SSDT you loaded for overclocking/power management? I'd like to take full advantage of my system components but I'm not sure what's acceptable. Can I ask what you used (multipliers, etc)?

How did you verify full RAM speed? Just via the System Profiler? Did you setup your RAM in Clover?

I got Windows to load with the OSX disks unplugged (turned off in BIOS) but when they're plugged into it won't load - it's something up with Clover obviously. I copied the NTFS.efi file into the Clover drivers65UEFI folder, but it didn't work. I also noticed that my BIOS sees a LOT of entries for the same disk/slice that I have OSX sitting on.

For Sleep / Shutdown - I haven't had any shutdown issues - when I tell it to shutdown it works. I have played with Sleep, but only to see if it works...I haven't left it sitting for any period of time. I have a Corsair 100i v2 cooler, so I'll play with it to see what works. Do you use iStat Menus by chance? I loaded the hardware monitor app and the associated kexts, but I'd like to try out iStat as well.

Thanks for your time!

Does your about my mac profile recognize the right amount of Ram and speed?

Also, Does it recognize your video card?

Use CloverConfigurator. There is a option check for fix shutdown. Works very well.

Use CloverConfigurator. There is a option check for fix shutdown. Works very well.
The option is checked, makes no difference here with 10.11.5

How did you verify full RAM speed? Just via the System Profiler? Did you setup your RAM in Clover?

Activity monitor sees my 32 GB, Geekbench is OK. About this mac... shows nonsense for RAM, 0 slots with 32 GB. There's not much I can adjust in the BIOS... XMP or not, RAM speed stays the same on my Z170X-UD5-TH.

So I'm also wondering about the right RAM settings... Do proper Clover settings fro RAM do anything or are these purely cosmetic?

For Sleep / Shutdown - I haven't had any shutdown issues - when I tell it to shutdown it works. I have played with Sleep, but only to see if it works...I haven't left it sitting for any period of time. I have a Corsair 100i v2 cooler, so I'll play with it to see what works.

You have a 9xx NVIDIA card, this will help with proper sleep and shutdown.

Does your about my mac profile recognize the right amount of Ram and speed?

Also, Does it recognize your video card?

Yes, Mac Profile shows the correct amount of RAM, and the correct slots are showing as populated. The correct speed is also shown. My video card is good. I downloaded a few 3d Demos and they are definitely being accelerated. I just want to be sure that I have it setup properly before I go investing a lot of time in getting everything moved over. This is my first hack build.

On another note, I followed the directions for getting Windows running but Clover won't boot it. After digging around it appears that it did NOT install in UEFI mode (msinfo32 shows "BIOS Mode: Legacy"). I'll nuke the windows drive and try again..this time I'll actually disconnect the other 2 drives (OSX and other HSF+ storage drive) instead of just disabling them in the BIOS. I did note that when I installed Windoze the first time I could see 2 partitions on the drive a 200MB partition (I'm assuming that's the UEFI that was setup when I set the partition to GPT) and the 2nd partition that I formatted to FAT using Disk Utility. I didn't delete the first drive (the instructions didn't mention it). I must've missed something. I may just turn off Legacy support in my BIOS. Another thing I see is that the Clover UEFI from my OSX drive is listed 10 times in my BIOS. I've read about this in other forums...I may clean that up before trying Windows again.

I have the i7-6700k AML loaded - is that the only SSDT you loaded for overclocking/power management? I'd like to take full advantage of my system components but I'm not sure what's acceptable. Can I ask what you used (multipliers, etc)?

I got Windows to load with the OSX disks unplugged (turned off in BIOS) but when they're plugged into it won't load - it's something up with Clover obviously. I copied the NTFS.efi file into the Clover drivers65UEFI folder, but it didn't work. I also noticed that my BIOS sees a LOT of entries for the same disk/slice that I have OSX sitting on.

For Sleep / Shutdown - I haven't had any shutdown issues - when I tell it to shutdown it works. I have played with Sleep, but only to see if it works...I haven't left it sitting for any period of time. I have a Corsair 100i v2 cooler, so I'll play with it to see what works. Do you use iStat Menus by chance? I loaded the hardware monitor app and the associated kexts, but I'd like to try out iStat as well.

Thanks for your time!

The i7-6700k AML is the one I'm running, Intel Power Gadget shows me it's working properly. Running at stock settings right now, will start playing with OC'n later this week. Ram speed in the System Profile matches what the Bios says and Windows 10 says, so I figured it is right. Yes, I do use iStat Menus, never had an issue with iStat on any OSX86 build. I've ran into issues with the hardware monitor and associated kexts before, so I quit using them a few builds ago.
In the Bios, I see several copies of the OS X drive also, I haven't worry to much about them as they don't seem to be causing an issues. As for not being able to boot Windows with OS X drive connected,IMHO has to be a setting wrong in Bios or Clover.

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.7 KB · Views: 265
Thanks for the verification! I'm going to reload Windows with the other drives physically disconnected instead of just disabled. When you installed Win10 did you see the UEFI Partition and the Larger partition? Did you erase both, or just the larger one?

For Sleep / Shutdown - I haven't had any shutdown issues - when I tell it to shutdown it works.

Shutdown problem(immediate reboot) still there in 10.11.5...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back