Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does your config.plist have a patch to change external drives to internal drives?
Do you have some kind of "built in" property assigned to USB devices?

There is no distinction since the XHCI controller has both SuperSpeed and Hi-Speed ports. Each physical port includes a SuperSpeed port (SSxx) and a Hi-Speed port (HSxx). Anyway, you can at least see the speed of each USB device.

No, it didn't have any USB patches that were outside of Clover's built-in options, and I did resolve the external drives showing as internal issue by a combination of the following:
  • Patch to raise USB port limit to 26 (for this type of 100-series board)
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • The SSDT I mentioned earlier, which is actually dependent on USBInjectAll.kext (which I wasn't using initially)
The drives appear as they should now. Front panel USB3 does seem pretty flakey though... disconnects and re-connects every now and then, so I've stopped using them for now.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

Has anyone else failed to get to the installer with this board and the default multi beast clover config file?

With the default multi beast UEFI install guide i get this error:

http://imgur.com/rTikjr9

Yes, I do. Was previously able to install a working El Cap to SSD (still works) but I get the same error when trying to boot from Unibeast installer or Mac OSX recovery drive. Still trying to fix that (hoping someone here chimes in) other posts suggest graphics not initializing, but none of the fixes I've tried have worked.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(solved here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/g...derbolt-dual-boot.191292/page-30#post-1283023 )

Last edited:
Motherboard
Z170x UD5 TH
CPU
6700k @4.5
Graphics
EVGA 1080Ti SC2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Looking for insight/help: I can't boot from the unibeast installer anymore (and I even just made the installer from scratch and went back to square one.) It starts the progress bar then display goes dead. Bios is exactly configured as the first post in this thread. Not sure what's happening. I can't boot from the recovery drive either. Any insights here would be appreciated (as if I ever need to reinstall, I won't be able to.)
Thanks!
Are you using a USB2 port on the motherboard?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Are you using a USB2 port on the motherboard?

Yeah, I'm using the same port I initially installed from, same USB stick I initially installed from. Going to try some suggestions I read about fakeSMC.kext and report back. I'm just surprised that the installer I used no longer works, and neither does a fresh one...

FIXED: I must have corrupted the original USB EFI partition when messing around. I THOUGHT I had repartitioned the key when I reinstalled Unibeast, but in El Cap, that will NOT delete files, and Unibeast will NOT overwrite what is there. Once I ERASED the USB key then reinstalled Unibeast, booting from the key was successful. Thank you all for your patience :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. LC
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
No, it didn't have any USB patches that were outside of Clover's built-in options, and I did resolve the external drives showing as internal issue by a combination of the following:
  • Patch to raise USB port limit to 26 (for this type of 100-series board)
  • USBInjectAll.kext
  • The SSDT I mentioned earlier, which is actually dependent on USBInjectAll.kext (which I wasn't using initially)
The drives appear as they should now. Front panel USB3 does seem pretty flakey though... disconnects and re-connects every now and then, so I've stopped using them for now.

I don't think you're supposed to keep the raised USB port limit patch. With the patch enabled, what are the ports and their addresses listed under the XHCI controller (screen shot)? You should remove that patch and use the uia_exclude boot argument like this:
uia_exclude=HS11;HS12;HS13;HS14;USR1;USR2;SS07;SS08;SS09;SS10;HS02

Plug a mouse into each port to see which are used, then exclude the rest so that only a max of 15 are listed.

Motherboard
Asus Z370 Strix E
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, after resuming my Hackintosh from sleep one morning I noticed that the grid in finder is gone! Everything is running flawlessly and haven't had any problems the past week as I have been putting mac to sleep every night till yesterday :/ I have tried on another user account and the same story.
The grid is completely gone no matter which folder or layout I use, however you can see remnants of it around when I right click
Does anyone know what is going on? Or how to fix it

Thanks a ton, Rob

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 11.22.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 11.22.55 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 236
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z170X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX TITAN X
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Air
  4. MacBook Pro
  5. Mac mini
  6. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. LC
  3. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys, after resuming my Hackintosh from sleep one morning I noticed that the grid in finder is gone! Everything is running flawlessly and haven't had any problems the past week as I have been putting mac to sleep every night till yesterday :/ I have tried on another user account and the same story.
The grid is completely gone no matter which folder or layout I use, however you can see remnants of it around when I right click
Does anyone know what is going on? Or how to fix it

Thanks a ton, Rob
That doesn't look like a Finder window. What OS version are you using? What is wrong with the screenshot besides the fact that only half your screen is shown?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That doesn't look like a Finder window. What OS version are you using? What is wrong with the screenshot besides the fact that only half your screen is shown?
Agreed. That doesn't look like a usual tabbed El Cap finder window, It looks like a Firefox or Chrome dialog box...

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It does look mostly like a Finder window. However, the top part that is tabbed looks more like a browser. Perhaps some kind of graphics glitch is somehow blending the two.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9-10900K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
  2. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've just implemented this IOKit patch after learning about it from this 9to5Mac 4k @ 60hz guide and it has enabled 4k @ 60hz over the HDMI 2.0 port (using the Intel HD 530 integrated graphics) on my LG 27UD68-W monitor (without any further software, ie; SwitchResX). I'm very pleased!

I uninstalled SwitchResX first as I had been trying to set 60hz manually with no success.

After manually backing up IOKit.framework (the patch backs it up but I wanted my own copy), setting my monitor to 'HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color' mode (which is the only way to get 60hz @ 4k with HDMI on this monitor), and applying the patch, I restarted, manually selected the resolution in Displays (System Preferences), and voila! Worked instantly. I was getting terrible rolling distortion and periodic black screens when I had 'Deep Color' mode on before the patch (and it only worked at 30hz anyway), but this is running totally smooth so far! (touch wood)

8PR1ueU.png

YMMV.

Edit: Forgot to mention the specific point where I applied the patch, although it was probably obvious

Works as advertised! (woot woot!) I had to disable SIP via Clover Configurator, but other than that the process was as advertised. So silky smooth and 4k!