Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here installed Mac (or Windows, dualboot) on a M.2 SSD using the M.2 slot on the Z170X-UD5 TH? Does is work natively? Planning to buy a Crucial MX200 M.2 60mm 500GB so I don't have to use the SATA slot, I already used all 6 of them :)

Has anyone here installed Mac (or Windows, dualboot) on a M.2 SSD using the M.2 slot on the Z170X-UD5 TH? Does is work natively? Planning to buy a Crucial MX200 M.2 60mm 500GB so I don't have to use the SATA slot, I already used all 6 of them :)
I have done so, with a Samsung 950 M.2. It doesn't work natively, you have to install this kext:

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

I have done so, with a Samsung 950 M.2. It doesn't work natively, you have to install this kext:

http://www.macvidcards.com/nvme-driver1.html

Nice! So you installed OSX on this or do you use it for data only?

From macvidcards:
"The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you will only be able to use these drives for storage of data. You will most likely never be able to boot off of them, certainly not into OS X. But a Hackintosh with EFI support for NVMe could possibly work. Who will be first to test?"

I could install Windows on the Crucial MX200 M.2, speedwise it isn't much faster then the SATA SSD. My only concern is that it might interfere with the OSX installation. Could the be true or is it pure nonsense? Windows and OSX don't have to exchange files, so I guess if I use it for Windows I don't need to install the kext. Right?

Thanks

Nice! So you installed OSX on this or do you use it for data only?

From macvidcards:
"The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you will only be able to use these drives for storage of data. You will most likely never be able to boot off of them, certainly not into OS X. But a Hackintosh with EFI support for NVMe could possibly work. Who will be first to test?"

I could install Windows on the Crucial MX200 M.2, speedwise it isn't much faster then the SATA SSD. My only concern is that it might interfere with the OSX installation. Could the be true or is it pure nonsense? Windows and OSX don't have to exchange files, so I guess if I use it for Windows I don't need to install the kext. Right?

Thanks
I installed OSX on it. Works fine.

Hi jerivalu,
  • Sleep (some reported success using nvidia cards, but basically still not working overall)
I run 10.11.5 on the following hardware:

GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
Core i7 6700K
GV-R939G1 GAMING-8GD (R9 390)
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
(and all that in a modded PowerMac G5 case :)

I was surprised that sleep actually works on this hardware. The only thing that still needs to be resolved is the dark boot screen, that is, I don't see the system booting. Once in a while the system won't boot and then I have to restart the system. I have set the BIOS to IGFX and have my monitor attached to the R9.

Just wanted to share this info,

Cheers,
Erwin

Argh. I still get these weird extra boot entries. Problem not solved. I get an extra bogus entry for my boot disk after every reboot.
@Erwin: are you sure the problem is gone on your build?

@zipb I tried, and still I get the extra boot entries as well. Based on reading through NUMEROUS posts it seems like luck-of-the-draw on a fix. Some permanent and some temporary. All seem to be clover related???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back