Contribute
Register

[GUIDE] Jerivalu’s Build: Fresh 10.11.5, Z170X-UD5 TH, 6700k, Intel HD 530, Thunderbolt, Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Clover Configurator, go to the SMBIOS screen and there should be a section to add the details for your memory. See the screenshot I attached. After I did this, the "About this Mac" and activity monitor both showed the correct amount of memory (32GB)
OK. The problem is that Clover configurator only allows 8 GB per slot, and I have 16 GB in each slot for a total of 64 GB. Is there a workaround for this?

Jerivalu, is there a particular reason you chose iMac 17,1 for your system definition -- as opposed to, say, MacPro 3,1?

afaik you cannot take advantage of skylake chips fully without using the 17,1 smbios

afaik you cannot take advantage of skylake chips fully without using the 17,1 smbios

I see. Unfortunately I can't use 17,1 with my Nvidia graphics card.

The build does Geekbench out at 19000, which isn't too bad with no overclock.

Yay! Just got my new components and did a fresh install (10.11.5) with a GTX 980 Ti.

Components
  • Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH motherboard (bios F5)
  • Intel i7 6700K with Mugen 4 CPU cooler (no overclocking)
  • MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G graphics card
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT BLS4C8G4D240FSB32GB (4 x 8GB) RAM
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
  • Corsair RM650x 650W PSU
  • Fractal Design Define R5 Black Computer Case

I installed the system with Initial Display Output in BIOS set to IGFX just like in this guide, with HDMI out from the motherboard to my display. After a reboot I changed set Initial Display Output to PCI 1 to get the GTX 980 Ti working.

I had to add the boot argument nvda_drv=1 and use AGDPfix.app not to get a black screen during booting.

Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 12.10.33.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 12.12.16.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-22 at 12.23.48.png

Thinking about overclocking, but I'm new to the whole process.

Last edited:
Faulty motherboard - Error code 51.

Don't know if I caused it (probably). Nonetheless it will be a pain to return it :(

I had trouble posting/booting at first with Bios F3 & 32 GB of RAM. Post with only 16 GB(2 sticks of RAM) worked, I could get into the BIOS with the del key, I then upgraded BIOS to F5 and everything was fine.
Didn't have EC 51, but 32. Try what happens if you only use 1 stick of RAM and then boot.

I'm running (mostly) same build. Have yet to run iMessage fix, but have a question on why successive reboots each adds UEFI entry when I select F12.

2 questions:
1) How to prevent the extra additions?
2) How to get rid of all the extra entries?

Thanks all who got me to this point. Great guide Jerivalu!!! I wish I had you post when I started this adventure.

I just checked, and sure enough after every reboot I get an extra bogus UEFI entry in the BIOS for my boot disk...
I thought I had taken care of this by following the advice on this thread:
[GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further problems

But no, new entry after every reboot. Rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back