Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel-TongFang QC7 (aka MAG-15 / Fusion / Element / Vapor 15 Pro)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP Elite X2 G2
CPU
i5-7200U
Graphics
HD 620
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Haven't hackintoshed since my old i5-2500K build...it's good to be back. Found myself a new project, an Eluktronics MAG-15. It's a white label laptop from ODM TongFang, designed by Intel, so coincidentally it was a good starting point for a complete DSDT/SSDT n00b like me, because the stuff in there was pretty logical and simple, nothing too weird.

This is my first time ever trying anything to do with ACPI Patching, which was a necessity as no one else seemed to have tried hackintoshing this laptop as of yet. I'm very open to any suggestions from more knowledgable people if anything needs to be cleaned up / how to properly probe the iGPU's ports and such.

IMG_6399.jpeg

Hardware
  • i7-9750H 2.6 GHz 6c/12t (UHD 630)
  • RTX 2070 Max-Q (disabled in macOS for obvious reasons)
  • eDP 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz IPS Display
  • ALC269 Audio
  • 16GB DDR4 (2 slots, upgradable)
  • 2x m.2 slots
    • Intel 660p NVMe (Windows boot drive)
    • Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB (macOS boot drive w/ extra NTFS storage partition for Windows gaming)
  • Realtek Ethernet (RTL8111)
  • Intel AX200NGW m.2 Wi-Fi (swapped for Apple BCM94360CS2)
  • Synaptic Precision Touchpad (I2C HID)
  • PS/2 Keyboard
  • BIOS v0058
Not Working / Unreliable / Untested
  • VoodooPS2 sometimes fails to attach keyboard, fixed with sleep/wake cycle
  • Haven't tested microphone audio quality (in Windows or macOS)
  • iGPU outputs besides internal display; device properties for the iGPU in my build is a quick hack that disables all other ports due to crazy temporary stuttering upon boot / wake with other ports enabled. I haven't gotten around to figuring out the correct settings for those other outputs yet.
  • Hibernation/Standby untested, left disabled via pmset
  • USB-C untested; haven't gotten around to testing / mapping the USB-C port
  • RGB Light Bar is unreliable
  • Sometimes the dGPU still stubbornly powers itself back on upon wake. Solved with a restart.
    • Seemingly related: sleep seems to fail and begin instant waking after exactly two sleep/wake cycles...can't figure this one out
Working
  • CPU Power Management (8-12w idle)
  • iGPU (built-in display only)
  • Audio (VoodooHDA)
  • Keyboard (VoodooPS2, kinda unreliable)
    • RGB Backlight is USB ITE device, effects set via Eluktronics Control Center in Windows are retained whenever the ITE device attaches to the USB bus
  • Touchpad (VoodooI2CHID)
  • USB Ports
  • Wi-Fi & BT (native support for BCM94360CS2)
  • Handoff / Continuity / Apple Watch Unlock
  • Battery
  • Sleep
Install Process
  • BIOS Settings: disable VT-d, disable TPM, disable SD Card Reader (not needed, but can't be used in macOS anyway)
  • Used UniBeast to create Mojave install utility(on genuine Mac)
    • Added "1393 Patch" into config.plistvia Clover Configurator
      • find A00A9353 54415301 / replace A00A910A FF0BFFFF
  • With this bare-bones config, rebooting was broken and have to manually reboot at "a few seconds remaining" for first-stage install
    • (haven't tried replacing the installer's EFI folder with the fully-working Clover config that I ended up with, this may work for someone else)
  • 2nd-stage Install: booted into "macOS Install Prebooter", hangs at very end with "1 minute remaining" from the same broken-reboot-bug
  • 3rd-stage Install: booted into main macOS partition
  • Post-Install -Kexts:
    • ESP EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other/
      • ACPIBatteryManager
      • AppleBacklightFixup
      • AppleHDADisabler (needed for VoodooHDA)
      • CPUFriend
      • CPUFriendDataProvider (generated via CPUFriendFriend, power savings biased)
      • FakeSMC + All Sensors (using FakeSMC instead of VSMC because I get more sensor data for iStat Menus)
      • Lilu
      • NoTouchID (needed since we're using MacBookPro15,1 SMBIOS)
      • USBMap (generated via USBMap)
      • VoodooHDA (more reliable than AppleALC for me)
      • WhateverGreen
    • /Library/Extensions (don't forget to run Kext Utility!)
      • RealtekRTL8111
      • VoodooI2C
      • VoodooI2CHID
      • VoodooPS2Controller
  • See Provided EFI folder and config.plist for necessary ACPI Patches
    • DSDT.aml - patched with "disable dGPU via _REG" and "disable/enable on _WAK / _PTS" available on RehabMan's patch repos, for proper dGPU disabling for power consumption
    • SSDT-BATT.aml - works in conjunction with config.plist Battery patches to enable battery support. Taken from Kirainmoe's Hasee TongFang github
    • SSDT-GPRW.aml - fixes instant wake on sleep bug. Taken from Kirainmoe's Hasee TongFang github
    • SSDT-PNLF.aml - enables Coffee Lake backlight control. Taken from Johnazz's post on NotebookReview GK5 Owners' Thread\
    • config.plist patches - iGPU patches taken from someone's Razer Blade 2018 config.plist (sorry, uncredited; can't remember where I got them from) and general ACPI patches via trial and error.
  • Install EmuVariableUEFI and add slide=0 to boot arguments to fix shutdown/reboot
Hope this info helps anyone else with this laptop, I've been enjoying the hardware so far! And again, I'm open to any suggestions to make this a cleaner, more feature-complete install!

Thanks to these forums and some folks on forums that pointed me in the right direction!

Attachments

• LE-kexts.zip
    687.9 KB · Views: 424
  • MAG15-EFI-v1_public.zip
    20.4 MB · Views: 683
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing!! I've been considering buying an Eluktronics MAX-17, which I believe should work similarly as the MAG-15 due to being the same CPU.

Have you worked out any of the issues in your original post? I might be trying your guide within the next month, just curious if you had any updates or are possibly still working through them.

Last edited:
i have followed this post and made successfull hackintosh [not blindly followed the guide], you must have knowledge about your hackintosh. If you want i can share the EFI folder including all the patches and running macOS 10.15.3. Let me know.

If you want i can share the EFI folder including all the patches and running macOS 10.15.3. Let me know.
Please do share! I will need any time-saving help I can use, as I work long hours in my job. TIA

there you go, test it and let me know.

Attachments

• EFI Electronux.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 406
Did any of you experienced micro lag (freeze) on touchpad sometimes or tap-to-click sometimes not working?

hey!!! i was able to successfully hackentosh my mag 15!! only took me two weeks lol!. Can someone tell me what the best WIFI card is to use with a hackentosh that is also compatible with windows 10. Right now i am tethered to ethernet.

hey!!! i was able to successfully hackentosh my mag 15!! only took me two weeks lol!. Can someone tell me what the best WIFI card is to use with a hackentosh that is also compatible with windows 10. Right now i am tethered to ethernet.

Hey folks....Ive looked all around and cant really find any information.
I got catalina running on my mag 15 and the cpu temps seem a bit high for being idle.
They sit at 66C - 77C.
I have the cpu friend ktexts in the efi folder.
Am i missing something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back