Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the audio drivers - See the last line.
Check that the system has not frozen by toggling the Caps Lock key, if the light goes on/off then it is still live.
I have seen installations appear to freeze at this stage for up to an hour but still progress to completion.

Note that you should add ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi (or apfs.efi) to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/.

Thanks, I'll check it again now. I don't have an SSD so didn't think I'd need apfs driver.

You forgot to run ./install_downloads.sh. Read post #1, follow in order.

Thanks. I ran it according to these steps in the updates section. Which is why I did not run ./install_downloads.sh earlier. Maybe after some previous updates, files or links got lost?

First step should be to update to the latest repository.

To do so:
Code:
git stash
git pull
make clean
make
make install_nuc6 # or make install_nuc6sc
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

Also after rereading, I realized that I ran the clover install with defaults instead of the settings prescribed. I may just buy a new SSD and do a fresh install as it is safer and cleaner.

Hoping someone can help me. I've had a hackintosh since Snow Leopard and gone through at least 4 OS iterations now so this isn't exactly my first go at installing OSX. I'm stuck installing High Sierra from USB on my NUC6i3SYK. I've followed the guide to create the USB installer which does boot into clover.

I used the the config_install_nuc6.plist file and renamed it to config.plist (you can also select with plist file when clover boots, but I chose to rename it to follow the guide to the letter). I've attached screen shots of my drivers64UEFI folder and the clover screen when it boots. I previously had High Sierra working but had a drive failure (yes I know - with no backup!) so didn't need any other other EFI drivers, however it's getting stuck on the audio drivers as shown in the screenshot.
I didn't have this trouble the 1st time I installed it, but can't exactly remember what I did.
"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.

I ran it according to these steps in the updates section. Which is why I did not run ./install_downloads.sh earlier.

Due to changes in the repo, download.sh and install_downloads.sh should be done prior to anything else.

I am working on a new Mojave installer and followed the directions as best as I can tell. But after installing Clover and as directed, other manual steps, the following files are not int the drivers64UEFI directory. I've tested it out and it loads through to the installer so don't know if they are no longer needed or included and the guide is out of date or if I missed a step. Missing files:
  • AppleUISupport-64.efi
  • AptioInputFix-64.efi
Attached is a zip of the EFI directory. Please let me know if I should manually copy these two files, ignore the missing files, or if I did something incorrect. Thanks.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    4.4 MB · Views: 152
I am working on a new Mojave installer and followed the directions as best as I can tell. But after installing Clover and as directed, other manual steps, the following files are not int the drivers64UEFI directory. I've tested it out and it loads through to the installer so don't know if they are no longer needed or included and the guide is out of date or if I missed a step. Missing files:
  • AppleUISupport-64.efi
  • AptioInputFix-64.efi
Attached is a zip of the EFI directory. Please let me know if I should manually copy these two files, ignore the missing files, or if I did something incorrect. Thanks.

Your drivers64UEFI has the required files.

Overview

The purpose of this guide is to provide a step-by-step guide to install Mojave (or High Sierra/Sierra/El Capitan) on the Intel NUC6 series NUC mini computers. My NUC6 is the NUC6i5SYK, although I expect the guide will work on other similar models (any NUC6).

This guide also works for the Skull Canyon NUC6, NUC6i7KYK. The Skull Canyon model has Iris Pro Graphics, and ALC233 instead of ALC283 audio. It has a slightly different USB controller as well. No matter, all these differences are accounted for in the guide.

I have added the Samsung SM951 PCIe x4 AHCI SSD.

This guide does not use Unibeast nor Multibeast, but uses automated scripts to handle most of the post-installation details.

Some notes on the NUC6i5SYK

The unit is very similar to the Broadwell NUC5i5MYHE, except this one has no place for a 2.5" HDD/SSD (there are other models that do). The board does have the SATA power/data ports, but there is not way to house such a device in the small case. I did use the SATA port in order to do some partition cloning (with the case top open).

The BIOS on this NUC is very similar to the Broadwell NUC, although some of the options have changed. No need to disable the non-existent serial port as was needed with the Broadwell unit.

Unlike the Broadwell NUC, this NUC comes with MSR 0xE2 locked and there is no option in the BIOS to unlock it. This caught me by surprise and it took a while to realize that I needed KernelPm=true.

The NUC6i5SYK has DP and an HDMI port. I would much rather have dual DP instead of DP+HDMI, but... The graphics are Iris 540.

Unfortunately, like all Skylake NUCs, this unit has soldered WiFi, so no possibility to install a compatible WiFi module. USB WiFi is just too unreliable and the user interface is not good.

If you have an NVMe SSD, details on creating HackrNVMeFamily-*.kext here (for 10.12 or earlier, 10.13 and later NVMe is mostly native): https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme

Preliminary ComputeStick

This guide also has preliminary support for the Skylake ComputeStick. I tested STCK2mv64CC. I used an external USB3 SSD as an install target as the internal eMCC is not supported. And an external USB Ethernet (supported by macOS) device. NullEthernet.kext is used to access the Mac App Store.

Predictably, the stick uses config_install_stick6.plist (pre-install), config_stick6.plist (post-install), and 'make install_stick6'.

During installation, use a USB hub connected to the USB3 port on the stick because the two USB3 ports on the power block will not work until post-installation procedures are complete. Lilu.kext and IntelGraphicsFixup.kext are required to get a signal to the monitor. If you don't use those kexts during installation, you may need to use an invalid ig-platform-id (0x12345678).

What you need

• Skylake Intel NUC6 series mini computer
  • Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra, or El Capitan downloaded from the Mac App Store
  • 8GB USB stick (maybe 16GB, if your stick is one of those "small 8GB" units)
  • SATA SSD/HDD (for units with 2.5" capability) or M.2 AHCI (x2 or x4) or SATA SSD (keyed for B, B+M, or M)
  • RAM (my unit has 16GB RAM installed)
  • optional bluetooth USB, GMYLE Bluetooth Adapter Dongle, Ultra-Mini USB Broadcom BCM20702 Class 2, as per post #223: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...syk-nuc6i7kyk-etc.207848/page-23#post-1407127
BIOS settings

On my NUC6i5SYK, I have the latest BIOS (0044) installed. I didn't try older versions.

The boot menu and BIOS setup can be accessed by mashing the F2 key during BIOS startup. After the main screen comes up choose "Advanced". That gets you to the main BIOS setup screens.

To start, choose "Load Defaults" (choose from the menu or press F9 in the BIOS setup).

Then change:
- Power->Secondary Power Settings, "Wake on LAN from S4/S5", set to "Stay Off"

These settings are important but are already set as needed by "Load Defaults"
  • Devices->Video, "IGD Minimum Memory" set to 64mb (I found both 64mb and 128mb work fine)
  • Devices->Video, "IGD Aperture Size" set to 256mb (I found both 128mb and 256mb work fine)
  • Boot->Secure Boot, "Secure Boot" is disabled
  • Security->Security Features, "Execute Disable Bit" is enabled.
  • Security->Security Features, "VT-d" is disabled (since this guide uses dart=0, can also be enabled)
You may wish to tweak the settings to suit your usage. For example, if you're not using the SATA port or a SATA M.2 SSD, you can disable the SATA controller. If you are using only OS X, you might consider disabling the WiFi.

Suggested:
  • Boot->Boot Priority->Legacy Boot Priority, disable "Legacy Boot" (it will reduce confusion)
  • Boot->Boot Configuration, disable "Network Boot"
Preparing USB and initial Installation

This guide assumes you're starting with nothing on your HDD/SSD (or nothing important). Make sure you backup your important files before starting.

You can also leave Windows intact, but it can get tricky. Read here for more information: http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/133940-mavericks-windows-8-same-drive-without-erasing.html

This guide for creating USB and installing using Clover UEFI works well: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...de-booting-os-x-installer-laptops-clover.html

Special notes:

- This guide requires Clover v4658 or later.

- Definitely copy IntelMausiEthernet.kext to Clover/kexts/Other as having network support during post-install is not only helpful, but the rest of this guide depends on it.

- GenericUSBXHCI.kext is not necessary. Do not use it.

- You do not need VoodooPS2Controller.kext as it is laptop specific.

- If you have HD515/HD520/HD530 on 10.12.5+, you may need to add Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext

- Use the 'createinstallmedia' approach. It works well, and there is little chance for pilot error. This method also gives you an OS X recovery partition.

- Use the config_install_nuc6.plist (non-Skull Canyon) or config_install_nuc6_sc.plist (Skull Canyon) linked by this post instead of the laptop specific config.plist files linked by the guide. Make sure you copy it to EFI/Clover/config.plist (after installing Clover). Clover will not read a file named config_install_nuc6.plist.

Special notes for the NUC6i7KYK (Skull Canyon):

- Use the HDMI connection for installation. The DP port will work only after all post-installation tasks are complete. If it is not possible to use the HDMI connection, you can set FakeID=0x12345678 (in Clover options) to disable the graphics drivers during installation. Or you can use ig-platform-id 0x193b0000 which has the 0306 (port 7) DP port enabled. Note that there is not a single ig-platform-id that contains both the 0105 and 0306, which is why a single value cannot be used without patching.

- If using a USB3 flash drive, you must use the USB port that is on the front left of the NUC. The other USB3 ports will work only after all post-installation tasks are complete. I suspect a USB2 flash drive will work in all ports.

Direct links for install config files:

For installation, NUC6, config_install_nuc6.plist: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/raw/master/config_install_nuc6.plist

For installation, Skull Canyon, config_install_nuc6_sc.plist: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch/raw/master/config_install_nuc6_sc.plist

Post Installation

Install Clover UEFI as described in the guide linked by the previous section (post #2). After installing Clover, and configuring it correctly (config.plist, kexts, HFSPlus.efi, etc) you should be able to boot from the HDD/SSD.

Most everything works, but there are a few things to tidy up, drivers to install, etc. For that, we need to patch ACPI, provide a proper config.plist, and install the kexts that are required.

Since you have IntelMausiEthernet.kext already injected by Clover, you should have internet access simply by using an Ethernet cable to your router. Plug it in and make sure you have internet access before continuing.

Installation of the tools and patching is easy provided the scripts and tools at the repository: https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch

To start, the developer tools must be installed. Run Terminal, and type:

Code:
xcode-select --install

You will be prompted to install the developer tools. Since you have internet working, you can choose to have it download and install them automatically. Do that before continuing.

After the developer tools are installed, we need to make a copy of the project on github.

In Terminal:
Code:
mkdir ~/Projects
cd ~/Projects
git clone https://github.com/RehabMan/Intel-NUC-DSDT-Patch nuc.git

Note: All commands for Terminal that follow will assume you have set the current working directory to ~/Projects/nuc.git (unless otherwise stated).

To change the current working directory in Terminal:
Code:
cd ~/Projects/nuc.git

Now it is time to install some more tools and all the kexts that are required...

In Terminal:
Code:
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh

The download.sh script will automatically gather the latest version of all tools (patchmatic, iasl, MaciASL) and all the required kexts from bitbucket. The install_downloads.sh will automatically install them to the proper locations.

To finish the setup, we need a correctly patched ACPI.

For the NUC6, in Terminal:
Code:
make
make install_nuc6

For the NUC6 Skull Canyon, in Terminal:
Code:
make
make install_nuc6sc

The 'make' causes the patched files to be compiled (with iasl), the results placed in ./build.

Finally, 'make install_nuc6' (or 'make install_nuc6sc'), mounts the EFI partition, and copies the built files where they can be loaded by Clover (to EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched).

Note: No actual patching of DSDT/SSDT is happening here. We are simply building an add-on SSDT (SSDT-NUC*.aml) which provides the necessary changes. This is because the NUC requires only minimal patching so a full patched DSDT is not needed.

Power Management

Everything required for CPU/IGPU power management is already installed with the steps above.
There is no longer any need to use the ssdtPRgen.sh script.

Be aware that hibernation (suspend to disk or S4 sleep) is not well supported on hackintosh.

You should disable it:
Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
sudo rm /var/vm/sleepimage
sudo mkdir /var/vm/sleepimage

Always check your hibernatemode after updates and disable it. System updates tend to re-enable it, although the trick above (making sleepimage a directory) tends to help.

Final config.plist

Up to now, you've been using the same config.plist we were using for installation. After all the APCI files are in place (previous two steps), you're ready to use the final config.plist from the NUC repo.

First, mount the EFI partition:
Code:
./mount_efi.sh

For the NUC6, copy the file:
Code:
cp config_nuc6.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

For the NUC6 Skull Canyon, copy the file:
Code:
cp config_nuc6_sc.plist /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/config.plist

You could also copy the file using Finder.

After copying the config.plist from the repo to EFI/Clover/config.plist, you should customize the SMBIOS so you have a unique serial. You can use Clover Configurator to do this (use google to find/download it). DO NOT use Clover Configurator to edit your actual config.plist. Instead edit a "dummy" config.plist to create the SMBIOS data and then use copy/paste with a plist editor (I use Xcode) to copy the SMBIOS section into my active config.plist. Clover Configurator is too buggy and cannot be trusted with edits to your real config.plist.

Note: The config.plist in the repo is using iMac14,2. It is not a Skylake SMBIOS, but it has less problems with dual monitor than does iMac17,1. In theory, it would be possible to use another Skylake SMBIOS (when such models appear). The best match would be a Skylake Macmini, but Apple has not yet produced one as I write this guide.

Do not stop reading

Although most of the post-install tasks are done, continue to read this guide. It it has important information you should know about.

In the case of a problem, don't bother asking about with without all files requested in "Problem Reporting".

Updates to the patch repositories

From time to time, updates may become available to the NUC repository. In the event of such updates, you may want to update your copies, and re-patch ACPI with the updates.

Since you're using git, it is easy...

In Terminal:
Code:
git stash # to save any local changes you might have made
git pull
make clean

Then you can follow the instructions for updating config.plist or using 'make install_nuc6' (or 'make install_nuc6sc') to copy the updated SSDT.

Updates to kexts may happen at any time. You can download and install the latest versions manually (by going to their respective release sites), or by using ./download.sh, and ./install_downloads.sh.

What works

I have tested the following features:
  • UEFI booting via Clover
  • DP video/audio
  • HDMI video/audio
  • native audio with AppleHDA [see below, "Known Problems"].
  • native USB3/USB2 with AppleUSBXHCI/AppleUSBEHCI
  • native power management
  • accelerated graphics for HD540
  • wired Ethernet
  • Mac App Store working
  • sleep (hibernation disabled, not tested)
  • Messages/FaceTime (working on 10.10.3 even though I didn't run through the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html)
Not tested/not working

Not working:
  • DP and HDMI at the same time may not work (eg. no multiple monitors) (Note: This was based on early testing with 10.11.4. At the current time, I have not tested with newer versions as I currently have only a single monitor to connect).
  • also, there are issues with HDMI/DP hotplug (must use the HDMI or DP that you booted with)
  • SDHC card reader
  • WiFi: Intel WiFi is not supported. Hardware is soldered.
Not tested:
  • internal USB headers
  • AirPlay mirroring to AppleTV
  • Bluetooth would require an external compatible (Broadcom) dongle
I don't have a 4k monitor, so I didn't test 4k DP video. Reports are that it works with certain monitors.

Known Problems

Find My Mac/Locking: Find My Mac does not work properly. Don't lock your mac because it's difficult (or impossible) to unlock again.

Audio: Mic input from headphone/Line In jack may not be working correctly.

Audio: SPDIF output on Skull Canyon disabled, not tested/not working.

HDMI: There may be issues on wake from sleep if you're using HDMI. Also with hot-unplug/plug. Reliability is much better using the DP connector (to a DP monitor) instead of HDMI. I am currently using DP exclusively.

Dual monitors: Working but with quirks. Must use iMac14,2 SMBIOS (or just not use iMac17,1). Hotplug can work, hot unplug may cause black screen. Booting with both still causes black on both.

NVRAM: Native NVRAM is not working. You can get emulated NVRAM working by installing Clover's EmuVariableUefi-64.efi and "RC scripts".

QuickTime full screen crash (back to login screen): This problem presents only on the NUC6i7KYK (Skull Canyon). It appears to be a bug in QuickTime with this specific graphics device (Iris 580). It is possible to work around by spoofing Iris 540, but that causes other problems with popup menus in apps like GarageBand. You can use some other video playback app for full screen (VLC, for example).

Other post-install tasks

Bluetooth: If you get the Bluetooth Setup Assistant popup, go to SysPrefs->Bluetooth->Advanced, uncheck the boxes.

BIOS settings for fan control: I find with the default settings, the fan runs excessively fast. Change in Cooling->CPU Fan Header to your own preferences. Refer to this Intel forum thread/post for guidance: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...syk-nuc6i7kyk-etc.207848/page-27#post-1412011

System updates

First step should be to update to the latest repository.

To do so:
Code:
git stash
git pull
./download.sh
./install_downloads.sh
make clean
make
make install_nuc6 # or make install_nuc6sc

Also update Clover to the latest using the Clover installer. Be sure to fix EFI/Clover/kexts, so that only EFI/Clover/kexts/Other is existing. All version specific directories under EFI/Clover/kexts should be removed. Make sure the correct files are in in EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI.

Also update config.plist at EFI/Clover/config.plist to the latest content from the repo. Be sure to retain your own SMBIOS data at config.plist/SMBIOS.

Now you can update via the App Store. Just boot the installer/updater upon restart.

Updating to High Sierra or Mojave

As you probably already know, High Sierra and Mojave have a new file system called APFS. Boot drives on SSDs will automatically be converted to APFS if you start the installer in the default way.

Problem reporting

Problem reports should be accompanied by various files that allow your progress to be accounted for...

The requirements for any problem report are described in the laptop FAQ.

Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting". Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
Hi Rehabman,

I installed 10.4 following this guide and everything works perfect. But when I try to upgrade to 10.4.3, it restart once during the upgrade and then I select upgrade on clover again. After the upgrade complete and restart, clover can’t find the Harddisk in the menu, only the install USB can be seen.

Then I have to copy APFS.efi to drivers64UEFI folder and I can see the Harddisk partition and boot with it. Anything wrong with the ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Rehabman,

being observing that every now and than i receive the below message as captured in the screenshot. attached is the problem reporting files. i think it may has to do with some 32bit apps. any idea if i should just ignore it.

Attachments

• debug_26225.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
Hi Rehabman,

I installed 10.4 following this guide and everything works perfect. But when I try to upgrade to 10.4.3, it restart once during the upgrade and then I select upgrade on clover again. After the upgrade complete and restart, clover can’t find the Harddisk in the menu, only the install USB can be seen.

Then I have to copy APFS.efi to drivers64UEFI folder and I can see the Harddisk partition and boot with it. Anything wrong with the ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi?

Cheers

Make sure you read the guide carefully regarding correct drivers64UEFI configuration.

Hi Rehabman,

being observing that every now and than i receive the below message as captured in the screenshot. attached is the problem reporting files. i think it may has to do with some 32bit apps. any idea if i should just ignore it.
View attachment 389256

Seems like a 3rd party app you installed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back