Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just set up 10.11 on a nuc6i3syh thanks to this lovely guide! everything i want to work is working but for one thing: temp sensors. how can i read those? the only sensor istat menus will tell me about is the m.2 drive.

i just set up 10.11 on a nuc6i3syh thanks to this lovely guide! everything i want to work is working but for one thing: temp sensors. how can i read those? the only sensor istat menus will tell me about is the m.2 drive.

You might get some if you install the FakeSMC sensor kexts.
I do not install them by default as they are inefficient.
You will find them in ~/Projects/nuc.git/downloads

Hi @RehabMan ... is it safe to upgrade to 10.13.2 supplemental update (beginning of Jan)? Even for nvme patches ?

I'm running 10.13.3 on my NUC6i7KYK (see signature).
With 10.13.x, NVMe is "more native". Which NVMe patches are you referring to?

Hi RehabMan,
Thanks for your guide!
I am using my Skull Canyon build following your guide since a month ago with dual 4K:3840x2160@60Hz (HDMI + DP).
Last week I upgraded from 16GB (2*Crucial CT8G4SFD8213) to 32GB of Ram (2*Crucial CT16G4SFD8213).
Since upgrading the RAM I have random screen blinking / blacking / flickering.
Any Idea what could be the reason? I already tested a lot of different cables (currently I am using a 50cm HDMI https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI8A0KG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
and a 1m Lindy 41551 mini DP to DP)
Thanks in advance for some ideas.

I can confirm this issue. Recently added another 4K monitor to my setup and the issue appeared. Currently using 32GB ram from Kingston (HX421S13IBK2/32), which causes both monitors to flicker every 10-15 seconds regardless of port used (even usb-c is flickering). The issue disappeared when I dropped the ram to 16GB.

This is a Hackintosh-only issue as both monitors operate flawlessly under Windows/Linux and with 32GB. Since Intel's compatibility page does not list any 32GB option, it seems we are limited to 16GB for the time being if we are to use dual 4K monitors. The ram module I'm using is listed on the compatibility page as compatible but only "customer-reported."

I also noticed that the flicker is significantly less intense when using HDMI on both monitors (the second using mDP/usb-c to HDMI dongle). It's still there, but only in the form of intermittent screen tearing as opposed to a full-on 1s blackout. Also, it is definitely not cable related as I have tried a wide variety of cables, including usb-c, which is natively supported by my monitors.

You might get some if you install the FakeSMC sensor kexts.
I do not install them by default as they are inefficient.
You will find them in ~/Projects/nuc.git/downloads
thanks! works splendidly.

there's one significant issue i've noticed over the past couple weeks. i use the nuc hooked up to a tv via hdmi. if i turn the tv off, and then back on, the display will not function (all i get is black). i know that it's an issue of turning the tv on, because if i turn the tv off i can still use the machine via remote desktop. but once the tv is back on, the remote desktop is frozen, and the tv displays black. (i can still ssh in and cli works fine). the only way around this that i've discovered so far is if i set the display off from the os side (via a cursor hot corner)... then i can safely power cycle the tv.

is this a known issue? is there any way around it? it's quite bothersome as it's terribly easy to forget to move the cursor to the hot corner before turning the tv off.

there's one significant issue i've noticed over the past couple weeks. i use the nuc hooked up to a tv via hdmi. if i turn the tv off, and then back on, the display will not function (all i get is black). i know that it's an issue of turning the tv on, because if i turn the tv off i can still use the machine via remote desktop. but once the tv is back on, the remote desktop is frozen, and the tv displays black. (i can still ssh in and cli works fine). the only way around this that i've discovered so far is if i set the display off from the os side (via a cursor hot corner)... then i can safely power cycle the tv.

is this a known issue? is there any way around it? it's quite bothersome as it's terribly easy to forget to move the cursor to the hot corner before turning the tv off.

Known problems with hotplug are mentioned in post #1.
But you should attach "Problem Reporting" files as per post #1... that way I can check to see if everything looks ok.

I had the same issue. It was solved by using a mini-Displayport to HDMI adapter. The one I got is made by Plugable and works reliably.

I thought TRIM was enabled on my system but going through the upgrade checklist I checked and it does not appear to be enabled now. See attached. Any concerns with running the following command?

sudo trimforce enable

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.06.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-22 at 8.06.28 PM.png
    106.2 KB · Views: 116
I thought TRIM was enabled on my system but going through the upgrade checklist I checked and it does not appear to be enabled now. See attached. Any concerns with running the following command?

sudo trimforce enable

Thanks.

There is a patch for TRIM in your config.plist.
But it is disabled by default as TRIM can cause problems with non-Apple SSD hardware, especially if you're using APFS.
You can enable it then test if you want, but you should make sure you have a good backup (kind of goes without saying) that you know how to use in the case of trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back