Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that might help though is turning off standby mode on the video card in the BIOS

One thing that might help though is turning off standby mode on the video card in the BIOS

I can give that a try. Right now I have it using HDMI and seems fine. But I would rather have DP since that is higher refresh rate.

FYI...

Updated my NUC6i7KYK (Skull Canyon) to High Sierra with no surprises so far.

Notes:
- updated Clover to latest (using my Clover fork)
- all my kexts/config.plist/etc are up-to-date with respect to the github project
- even though you can avoid conversion to APFS by using startosinstall (--converttoapfs NO), I let the normal installer convert to APFS
- you must have apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI (without it Clover will not recognize your APFS
- apfs.efi can be obtained from /usr/standalone/i386 inside "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseBinaries.dmg"
- "Preboot" volume will need to be hidden with a custom entry in your config.plist (haven't done it yet on mine)

Last edited:
I've updated to HS on NUC skull canyon. Everything seems to be in working order. Thanks Rehabman
Would you mind please sharing your BIOS version and a configuration? I'm with NUC6i7KYK and I can't get Sierra installer running. I posted it few pages earlier that I always stuck at the beginning of the install with ++++++.
I'm on BIOS 50 and for now that's the only difference to RehabMan's tested configuration

Attachments

• BIOS50_settings.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
FYI...

Notes:
- all my kexts/config.plist/etc are up-to-date with respect to the github project
- even though you can avoid conversion to APFS by using startosinstall (--converttoapfs NO), I let the normal installer convert to APFS
- you must have apfs.efi in drivers64UEFI (without it Clover will not recognize your APFS
- apfs.efi can be obtained from /usr/standalone/i386 inside "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/SharedSupport/BaseBinaries.dmg"
- "Preboot" volume will need to be hidden with a custom entry in your config.plist (haven't done it yet on mine)

@RehabMan Thanks your great work. I will have a try. NVMe issue no exist, isn't? Will you open another topic for High Sierra installation guide for NUC6?

@RehabMan Thanks your great work. I will have a try. NVMe issue no exist, isn't?

My only use for NVMe is for Windows. But I do access it from macOS.

Previously, I used spoofed HackrNVMeFamily, and actually left that in place during the upgrade.
It worked, such that after the upgrade, I was still running 10.12.6 HackrNVMeFamily.
After the update, I removed HackrNVMeFamily*.kext from /Library/Extensions, and removed SSDT_NVMe-Pcc.aml from ACPI/patched, and now native IONVMeFamily.kext is working for my Samsung 950 Pro.

Will you open another topic for High Sierra installation guide for NUC6?

I will eventually copy this guide to the High Sierra guides forum, make a few edits to it, and make post #1 here link to it.

FYI...

Notes:

Don't quite get what you mean by "even though you can avoid conversion to APFS by using startosinstall (--converttoapfs NO), I let the normal installer convert to APFS".

You mean when you start the installation within the an existing installation, you can issue the above command in the Terminal and start the install with startosinstall (--converttoapfs NO)?

Of course when you want to start the installation on a SSD with no existing system, you must use the "sudo "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction" right?

Don't quite get what you mean by "even though you can avoid conversion to APFS by using startosinstall (--converttoapfs NO), I let the normal installer convert to APFS".

You mean when you start the installation within the an existing installation, you can issue the above command in the Terminal and start the install with startosinstall (--converttoapfs NO)?

Yes. That is the update scenario, which was the topic of my post.

Of course when you want to start the installation on a SSD with no existing system, you must use the "sudo "/Applications/Install macOS High Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia" --volume /Volumes/install_osx --nointeraction" right?

Correct.
There is a way to avoid APFS there too, but it requires modifying some XML at one of the installer stages, or installing twice (think about using startosinstall from an installed APFS volume to create an HFS+ install).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back