Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There doesn't seem to be anything in that BIOS update that I find beneficial.

Note: I'm currently on 0048, which I updated due to the hyperthreading fix that was present.

When 10.13 is released (on Monday), I will create a USB installer with latest Clover and see if there is any issue booting the installer. Easy to try 10.12.6 installer and 10.13.0 installer at that point.
Would you also mind updating a BIOS?

Would you also mind updating a BIOS?

As I wrote before... "There doesn't seem to be anything in that BIOS update that I find beneficial."
Having been burned before with Intel BIOS updates, I'm reluctant unless I see some clear benefit.
(I had *two* DH67CF boards bricked by a BIOS update, fortunately, they were within warranty).

Vague descriptions in the release notes ("security enhancements") make me nervous.
Maybe eventually though.

What is your current status?

As I wrote before... "There doesn't seem to be anything in that BIOS update that I find beneficial."
Having been burned before with Intel BIOS updates, I'm reluctant unless I see some clear benefit.
(I had *two* DH67CF boards bricked by a BIOS update, fortunately, they were within warranty).

Vague descriptions in the release notes ("security enhancements") make me nervous.
Maybe eventually though.

What is your current status?
unfortunately I can't downgrade mine to 48, as it's not supported.
I have another last idea except BIOS - this NUC is currently connected to 4k screen, I'll replace it. at least for the installation.

unfortunately I can't downgrade mine to 48, as it's not supported.
I have another last idea except BIOS - this NUC is currently connected to 4k screen, I'll replace it. at least for the installation.

You should probably show photos of *all* your BIOS options.
And of course...
Boot verbose, show photo.
Attach EFI/Clover you're using.

I have noticed this guide, but I do not have a windows 10 installed, so it's a bit complicated to get the PATH as required.

Win10 is easy to install.

Will you try 10.13 on NUC6i7KYK?

I will be updating to 10.13 after it is released on Monday.

Win10 is easy to install.

I will be updating to 10.13 after it is released on Monday.

Hi Rehabman when you update, please share your experience and you may want to update your guide to include High Sierra. Thank you.

I've updated to HS on NUC skull canyon. Everything seems to be in working order. Thanks Rehabman

First, my hardware:
- Dell U3011 2560x1600 (it has HDMI, but you get only 1080p with HDMI, so always using DP)
- NUC Skull Canyon (it is what i use mostly, but also have a NUC5/NUC6, and NUC7)

At first I was using a 6' mini DP->DP cable and I would get the occasional black out (lasted about 1 sec, usually happened as I sat down at the desk). The Dell U3011 does not suffer from the problem of not re-acquiring the signal, it was a minor annoyance.

Switched to a 3' mini DP->DP cable and the problem went away. Both cables were the same brand, purchased on Amazon. I forget the brand (maybe was 'cable matters'?).

And right now I'm using an active HDMI->DP adapter (from 'Go Fanco'; plugs into USB and HDMI on NUC6sc, plugs to DP on monitor) to a 6" DP->DP cable (again 'cable matters'). No blackouts with that scenario. No idea if the adapter supports 4k. I have no 4k monitors here (4k would not make sense on a 30" monitor, my preferred size... would need 5120x3200 for my needs).

I went back and checked and I am using what I think is the same cable. Cable Matters 3' mini DP to DP. Here is the link. I can try and replace it but concerned I will have the same experience. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7RIL3C/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

@Lanman71 - I USED to have the same problem with the blackouts. And I pretty much bought every grade-A, DP certified cable available. It wasn't 'a cabling issue' in the end. None of the cables worked better than the other. The problem eventually just went away, with tinkering with various files. Only thing is, I have no idea what exactly worked :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back