Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, works really well, it would be nice to include https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/skylake-hwp-enable.214915/ for post installation performance tweaks. My SC sits on 3.4ghz 4w TDP idle. Overall system feels much snappier, no more initial stuttering when scrolling in Launchpad. NVME SSD performance seems to be very sensitive with CPU scaling.

Thank you, works really well, it would be nice to include https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/skylake-hwp-enable.214915/ for post installation performance tweaks. My SC sits on 3.4ghz 4w TDP idle. Overall system feels much snappier, no more initial stuttering when scrolling in Launchpad. NVME SSD performance seems to be very sensitive with CPU scaling.

The guide you mention for HWP implements HWP incorrectly.
The only thing you need for HWP is an HWP SMBIOS.
Clover HWP options not necessary and wrong.

The guide you mention for HWP implements HWP incorrectly.
The only thing you need for HWP is an HWP SMBIOS.
Clover HWP options not necessary and wrong.
I see, but wouldn't other smbios (other than imac in this guide) affect display or introduce other hardware problems on SC?. Having proper smbios is a bonus in my case. I saw your other thread mentioning that smbios should be patched, tho I don't understand the difference.
Thanks for the response :)

I see, but wouldn't other smbios (other than imac in this guide) affect display or introduce other hardware problems on SC?.

You can use whatever SMBIOS you want, then enable it for HWP by modifying FrequencyVectors in the X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/board-id.plist (plist corresponding to the board-id you are using).

Or you can build an X86PlatformPlugin dummy/injector kext that has the modified FrequencyVectors plist.

I've tried it here, but I have not seen any significant advantage to HWP over XCPM.

The problem with enabling HWP with Clover is that the HWP status does not stick after a sleep/wake cycle. That could be fixed by a kext, but I haven't bothered developing one given that I see no advantage to HWP for now.

You can use whatever SMBIOS you want, then enable it for HWP by modifying FrequencyVectors in the X86PlatformPlugin.kext/Contents/Resources/board-id.plist (plist corresponding to the board-id you are using).

Or you can build an X86PlatformPlugin dummy/injector kext that has the modified FrequencyVectors plist.

I've tried it here, but I have not seen any significant advantage to HWP over XCPM.

The problem with enabling HWP with Clover is that the HWP status does not stick after a sleep/wake cycle. That could be fixed by a kext, but I haven't bothered developing one given that I see no advantage to HWP for now.

I understand now, will try that after my backup finishes.
Is there a way to set minimum CPU frequency on XCPM? I also noticed that SNES emulation is affected by scaling (stutter depending on background tasks), Qtcreator loads much faster, guess real Mac hardware will behave the same way anyway.

Is there a way to set minimum CPU frequency on XCPM?

FrequencyVectors in the X86PlatformPlugin plist.

I also noticed that SNES emulation is affected by scaling (stutter depending on background tasks), Qtcreator loads much faster, guess real Mac hardware will behave the same way anyway.

No experience with that software.

You should probably attach "Problem Reporting" files for checking.

FrequencyVectors in the X86PlatformPlugin plist.

No experience with that software.

You should probably attach "Problem Reporting" files for checking.

Oh I get what's XCPM now, should have done my homework :crazy:
Changing FrequencyVectors works!
About problem reporting, I have another problem that isn't an issue for me as I use external DAC. No audio, sleep is ok tho, didn't use your post installation patching and injections as they produce kernel panic with unreadable text. tried it 3 times not sure where I was wrong, didn't have the time. For IOReg still downloading Xcode due to my sluggish internet connection. So my results might be partial for now, will reupload soon.
Thanks a lot for your time

Attachments

• post.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Oh I get what's XCPM now, should have done my homework :crazy:
Changing FrequencyVectors works!
About problem reporting, I have another problem that isn't an issue for me as I use external DAC. No audio, sleep is ok tho, didn't use your post installation patching and injections as they produce kernel panic with unreadable text. tried it 3 times not sure where I was wrong, didn't have the time. For IOReg still downloading Xcode due to my sluggish internet connection. So my results might be partial for now, will reupload soon.
Thanks a lot for your time

Your "Problem Reporting" files prove you didn't follow the guide.
Follow as written in post #1.

If you have a problem while following the guide, attach files that represent what you're doing as per "Problem Reporting", and I'll let you know your mistake.

Your "Problem Reporting" files prove you didn't follow the guide.
Follow as written in post #1.
Yes I did not follow it on purpose as I mentioned before.
I'll post the make (compile) error later. Sierra 10.12.1 here.

Yes I did not follow it on purpose as I mentioned before.
I'll post the make (compile) error later.

This thread is only for those following the guide in post #1.
If you follow as written, it will work.

Sierra 10.12.1 here.

Why?
From where did you download macOS?
On what hardware did you create your USB installer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back