Contribute
Register

[Guide] Intel Skylake NUC6 (and Skull Canyon) using Clover UEFI (NUC6i5SYK, NUC6i7KYK, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Rehabman,

Thanks for your great work.

I have successfully installed Sierra 10.12.5 on Asrock Beebox S i3 6100U following this guide.

It has almost same specification with intel NUC6i3
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-6100U (3M Cache, up to 2.30 GHz)
  • Memory: Supports DDR4 2133 MHz, 2 x SO-DIMM slots, Max. 32GB
  • Storage: 1 x 2.5" SATA3 HDD + 1 x M.2 SSD slot (2260/2280)
  • Graphic: Intel HD520
  • Wireless: 802.11 ac + BT 4.0
  • Front I/O: 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 3.1(Type C), 1 x IR, 1 x Audio-out with MIC-In
  • Rear I/O: 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x Gigabit LAN, 1 x kensington lock
  • Audio: Realtek ALC283
The BIOS setting has some differences.

XHCI “Hand-off” Enabled
Video Memory set to 128mb

Pre-install
USBInjectAll.kext need to be copied to to Clover/kexts/Other
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All
Otherwise the install will be prohibited with “Still waiting for root device.

Only a 2.5 HDD is installed at the moment. Plan to install a samsung 850 evo m.2 ssd later.

I am using TP-link TL-WN725N at the moment. Internal Wifi module is intel AC 3160 which doesn’t work and will replace with bcm943602(DW1830).

The internal bluetooth from AC 3160 works well with magic keyboard and trackpad.

have not test DP and Usb 3.1 as I don’t have device or cable.

HWMonitor can only show the HDD temperature.

Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 12.09.45 pm.png

Hi Rehabman,

Thanks for your great work.

I have successfully installed Sierra 10.12.5 on Asrock Beebox S i3 6100U following this guide.

It has almost same specification with intel NUC6i3
  • CPU: Intel Core i3-6100U (3M Cache, up to 2.30 GHz)
  • Memory: Supports DDR4 2133 MHz, 2 x SO-DIMM slots, Max. 32GB
  • Storage: 1 x 2.5" SATA3 HDD + 1 x M.2 SSD slot (2260/2280)
  • Graphic: Intel HD520
  • Wireless: 802.11 ac + BT 4.0
  • Front I/O: 1 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 3.1(Type C), 1 x IR, 1 x Audio-out with MIC-In
  • Rear I/O: 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort, 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x Gigabit LAN, 1 x kensington lock
  • Audio: Realtek ALC283
The BIOS setting has some differences.

XHCI “Hand-off” Enabled
Video Memory set to 128mb

Pre-install
USBInjectAll.kext need to be copied to to Clover/kexts/Other
https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-USB-Inject-All
Otherwise the install will be prohibited with “Still waiting for root device.

Only a 2.5 HDD is installed at the moment. Plan to install a samsung 850 evo m.2 ssd later.

I am using TP-link TL-WN725N at the moment. Internal Wifi module is intel AC 3160 which doesn’t work and will replace with bcm943602(DW1830).

The internal bluetooth from AC 3160 works well with magic keyboard and trackpad.

have not test DP and Usb 3.1 as I don’t have device or cable.

HWMonitor can only show the HDD temperature.

View attachment 274870

You will probably need to make some changes to the USB configuration (due to the type-C). The Intel NUC6 has no USB type-C ports (see SSDT-USB.dsl, and USBInjectAll guide for details).

Read here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/

The fact that you have only HDD temps in HwMontor.app is by design. This guide does not install the FakeSMC sensors due to the fact they are very inefficient. You can install them manually if you wish (you will find them in the downloads/kexts folder).

Otherwise, not too surprising that it mostly works. Since you have ALC283, and the 4 USB port assignments that Intel used are very logical (SS01-SS04/HS01-HS04), this guide would mostly be expected to work...

First of all RehabMan, thank you for the great information and work. My NUC works much better under this guide than it ever did using others.

I did have some strange issues on the initial install, where I had to have both HDMI and DVI monitors attached as I could never get a complete boot under one. The initial USB boot kept failing when switching from text mode to graphics mode, but using both monitors seemed to do the trick, and I'm sure that's not related to my current issue.

My issues seems to be with USB3, all my USB1 & 2 devices seem to work, but all USB3 devices don't seem to be recognized. I've tried all the different USB ports, both front and back. USB Device Tree states "USB 3.0 Bus", but never lists any USB3 devices.

I have attached requested files, thanks for any help on this one.

EDIT. I corrected my post and uploaded all the files.

Attachments

• Nuc6i5SYH-USB3-issue.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 89
  • clover.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • Rocket.ioreg.zip
    551.6 KB · Views: 86
  • command.output.zip
    885 bytes · Views: 80
Last edited:
First of all RehabMan, thank you for the great information and work. My NUC works much better under this guide than it ever did using others.

I did have some strange issues on the initial install, where I had to have both HDMI and DVI monitors attached as I could never get a complete boot under one. The initial USB boot kept failing when switching from text mode to graphics mode, but using both monitors seemed to do the trick, and I'm sure that's not related to my current issue.

My issues seems to be with USB3, all my USB1 & 2 devices seem to work, but all USB3 devices don't seem to be recognized. I've tried all the different USB ports, both front and back. USB Device Tree states "USB 3.0 Bus", but never lists any USB3 devices.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully.

I deleted usbinjectall.kext after patching with your method. All of the USB ports working and even the USB3.1 port looks normal.

BTW, update to 10.12.6 no any problem.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.00.08 pm.png

beebox-s-bd.png

I deleted usbinjectall.kext after patching with your method.

In that case the content in SSDT-USB.dsl has no effect.
It could be that your USB ACPI is correct (_UPC and _PLD), although it is rare.

"Problem Reporting" files are incomplete.
Read post #1, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully.

Sorry about that, I updated the post now with all the files.

EDIT. I corrected my post and uploaded all the files.

Maybe you disabled XHC in BIOS. Check your BIOS settings.

Totally love the guide, been using my nuc skull canyon for over a year this way now. There is only one annoyance sometimes when I visit webpages with videos in safari the whole computer freezes. Sometimes you can move the mouse after like 2 min just to have it freezing right after again. Somehow this has to do with javascript being enabled. Maybe there is an issue with the Framebuffer or something?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400933827 e.g. crashes my safari.

Chrome & Firefox work fine though...

Totally love the guide, been using my nuc skull canyon for over a year this way now. There is only one annoyance sometimes when I visit webpages with videos in safari the whole computer freezes. Sometimes you can move the mouse after like 2 min just to have it freezing right after again. Somehow this has to do with javascript being enabled. Maybe there is an issue with the Framebuffer or something?
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400933827 e.g. crashes my safari.

Chrome & Firefox work fine though...

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Also, your profile does not indicate hardware details. Please fix prior to your next reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back